Author Topic: How would people have felt if we ended up getting Harden for Perk?  (Read 6188 times)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I was wondering how different peoples thoughts on the whole Perk trade would be if we had ended up finding a way to get Harden instead of Green like Danny originally intended. We probably would have had to give up a little more, picks or what not. But would things have turned out just as bad as they have now? Having Harden off the bench would have been huge for us and would have provided us with the 6th man we needed. I think harden is a better player than green and would have fit with this team much better. He would have been able to come in and provide a playmaker off the bench.

So, thoughts?... Personally, I still would have kept Perk over either, although Harden would be tough to turn down.

Re: How would people have felt if we ended up getting Harden for Perk?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I still would have objected to blowing up a championship contender mid-season, but I would have pulled the trigger on a Harden deal.  He just had much more potential than Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ainge was pushing for Harden in that deal (I've heard from more than one source) and when he couldn't get him, he should have backed away from the table

Everyone just sit down for a moment and imagine if this happened.

shh...shh...just sit back, relax, and imagine our reserve swingman hitting 17 ppg on 46% shooting and 38% from deep, with 4 boards and 4 assists and solid defense.

Shhh...shh...just...imagine....

How's that feel for everyone?.....yes, I'm sad now too.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ainge was pushing for Harden in that deal (I've heard from more than one source) and when he couldn't get him, he should have backed away from the table

shh...shh...just sit back, relax, and imagine our reserve swingman hitting 17 ppg on 46% shooting and 38% from deep, with 4 boards and 4 assists and solid defense.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Harden is truly a stud.  Would have loved to have gotten him.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Would have been nice but it was never going to happen.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I still would have objected to blowing up a championship contender mid-season, but I would have pulled the trigger on a Harden deal.  He just had much more potential than Green.

Harden right now is a top 5 SG in the league. Better all-around player than Ray Allen (but not a better shooter by any means), and only 22 years old. Man that'd be super.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Would have been nice but it was never going to happen.

Yeah.  I don't blame Danny for asking.  When Presti changed the conversation, though, Danny should have hung up the phone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For me, I'm glad we got Jeff...

God works in mysterious ways. IF we had received Harden, then would OKC had found Jeff's ailment?

Even though the team is missing (and needing) Jeff right now, I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

Jeff will be ready by next year, hopefully.

And healthy.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I still would have objected to blowing up a championship contender mid-season, but I would have pulled the trigger on a Harden deal.  He just had much more potential than Green.

Trading Perk was not blowing up the team.  Would anyone say the same thing if OKC traded Perk right now?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
i dunno, I still think something could have been done if DA found a way too it. I've loved Harden since his ASU days but he was struggling in OKC before that time. Up until the Green trade he was averaging 10 ppg and shooting 41%. His rookie year was the same, 10 ppg and 40%. He never got to take the ball really and was only used in a catch and shoot play really. People were already ragging the Thunder for taking him over Tyreke and Curry. Didn't seem like the ceiling was so high.

IDK, but I think if the clippers pick was removed, added a small piece like Avery or our first or we did something even  bigger (Ray & Perk for Harden Collison and Aldrich matches salaries, although I understand DA not trying to break up the entire core since we looked like the favorites at the time) we could have gotten it done. Harden was valuable but he certainly wasn't untouchable at the time. [dang] it Danny

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Trading Perk was not blowing up the team.  Would anyone say the same thing if OKC traded Perk right now?

Eh, agree to disagree.  Our team immediately went into an identity crisis once Perk was traded, and we still haven't really gotten it back.  Our starting lineup never lost a playoff series.  Perk was a big, big part of our team.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Eh, I agree that Harden probably had more 'potential' at the time of the trade, but Green has pretty much put up those same numbers you list above every year since 08-09 (add a couple rebounds, minus a couple of assists)...and then he came to the Celtics. I get that his defense isn't quite as tenacious and he may out think himself more than Harden, but at the time of the trade, we needed a back up forward more than a sg and Green was as solid as ever.

And if Harden is a top 5 sg in the league, then that is a pretty sad state of affairs for that position.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

I'm for the most part over it, but yes it makes me sad just a little.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
For me, I'm glad we got Jeff...

God works in mysterious ways. IF we had received Harden, then would OKC had found Jeff's ailment?

Even though the team is missing (and needing) Jeff right now, I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

Jeff will be ready by next year, hopefully.

And healthy.

Looking at it this way is very interesting. You have a very good attitude. Who knows what would have happened if doctors didn't figure out he needed heart surgery?