Author Topic: Battier to sign with Heat  (Read 6968 times)

Re: Battier to sign with Heat
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I guess Battier is just another chump.

And Miami has no faith in Mike Miller...
Mike Miller is injured again, isn't he?

I thought it was some kind of hernia that would keep him out 4 to 8 weeks.  Even so, Miami giving ANY money to Battier is a sign that Pat Riley still hasn't given up on his fantasy of having either LeBron or Wade play the point.  It was clear from the start that Riley thought he could win a title playing Wade, Bron, Bosh, Haslem and Miller.  Battier would now slide into that last spot but he wouldn't fix the problems of Miami being very small and weak on the interior and that neither Wade nor Bron can really play the point.

Mike
With the shortened season, 4 to 8 weeks may be a significant portion of the season.

Yes, but you don't need to spend any of your precious cap space on a wing when you've already got LeBron and Wade.  It would be like Boston doing a sign-and-trade with Baby to bring in a backup PG to play behind Rondo.

Mike
Yeah it was sure stupid to bring in Posey in 07/08.

Our center/pg was Perkins and Rondo and we really didn't have a SF. By comparison the Heat have Chalmers as a FA and their centers are Anthony and Big Z. Plus at SF, they do have Miller, injured and all, and Jones, a FA who will happily return to Miami (his hometown) for less than market value. The Heat could have been better served to put the money to use at the Center or PG spots.

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Last I heard it sounded like he was gonna be amnestied.
Great, then we can sign Miller for the min to back up Pierce, after we trade Green and Rondo for CP3. Then split the mini-MLE into two to get the two best centers available who will accept.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Yeah, that stinks.  I guess at least it's not Dalembert, who would have been a better fit for them, in my opinion.

Yeah, I want to see what the deal is before really deciding whether I like it or not.  If the Heat used their MLE on him, then I think this is actually good for the C's.  However, if they somehow got him for the minimum, then I will not be happy.
Agreed.  A good signing for Miami, but not a great signing if they used most of their cap space to get an additional backup wing instead of a starting center.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Our center/pg was Perkins and Rondo and we really didn't have a SF. By comparison the Heat have Chalmers as a FA and their centers are Anthony and Big Z. Plus at SF, they do have Miller, injured and all, and Jones, a FA who will happily return to Miami (his hometown) for less than market value. The Heat could have been better served to put the money to use at the Center or PG spots.
Perkins was a project whom no one was sure about, heck he was only playing 24 minutes per game. Our back up big men were Scott Pollard, rookie Glen Davis, and second year Leon Powe.

Our questions at the big man spots were just as big as the potential whole at the wing.

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

Great, then we can sign Miller for the min to back up Pierce, after we trade Green and Rondo for CP3. Then split the mini-MLE into two to get the two best centers available who will accept.
I read that Miami wasn't going to amnesty M.Miller until next season.

Their only real incentive to do so this season was to increase their mini-MLE to a full MLE ... but by signing Battier (to a mini-MLE deal), Miami have already chosen not to go down that route.

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Their only real incentive to do so this season was to increase their mini-MLE to a full MLE ... but by signing Battier (to a mini-MLE deal), Miami have already chosen not to go down that route.
Apparently if they do amnesty him they're going to offer Battier the full non-taxpayer MLE.

Not sure why they haven't decided yet, you'd think they would have.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Apparently if they do amnesty him they're going to offer Battier the full non-taxpayer MLE.

Yeah, that's strange.

Also, the Heat are apparently still in the running for Kwame Brown, according to Mark Bartelstein.  I'd be surprised if Kwame took a minimum deal, but who knows?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yes, but you don't need to spend any of your precious cap space on a wing when you've already got LeBron and Wade.  It would be like Boston doing a sign-and-trade with Baby to bring in a backup PG to play behind Rondo.
No, it actually isn't. Battier is a combo player who can guard multiple positions, so you can pair him with any combination of Wade/James/Bosh, and trust him to play close to 30 minutes per game.

I tend to agree that they were probably better off throwing their MLE at someone who can play center. On the other hand, you're likely going to be able to sign better talent at the vet minimum there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Chris Tomasson:

Mark Bartelstein, who represents free agent wing Shannon Brown, said Shane Battier's move takes the Heat out of the running for Brown.

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
it's a shame, battier was one of my favorite players.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I reckon Miami realized they couldn't acquire a talented enough center for the mini-MLE and decided to focus on the best available player instead.

Slim pickings at PG. Better off selecting a player of Battier's quality.

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Yeah, that's strange.

Also, the Heat are apparently still in the running for Kwame Brown, according to Mark Bartelstein.  I'd be surprised if Kwame took a minimum deal, but who knows?

Sounds like they're trying to split their MLE between them. Indifferent to the signing honestly. Going with a rookie at pg is a mistake though. Honestly Battier can give them some outside shooting and be their Posey off the bench with LBJ moving to the 4 and Bosh to the 5. If they get Kwame then it's more solid, but I have a feeling this signing will cost them Kwame.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Solid move for Heat

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
wouldn't mind shannon brown in boston...rather him than glass daniels

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
That wing rotation is incredible, esp. if Miller can return to form (or avoid trade/amnesty).  The two best wings in the game, an all-NBA defender who doubles as a 3-point marksman, and a playmaking/rebounding/3-point shooting hybrid in Miller. 

If healthy, is that the best wing rotation ever?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri