Author Topic: Battier to sign with Heat  (Read 6970 times)

Re: Battier to sign with Heat
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah, that stinks.  I guess at least it's not Dalembert, who would have been a better fit for them, in my opinion.

Yeah, I want to see what the deal is before really deciding whether I like it or not.  If the Heat used their MLE on him, then I think this is actually good for the C's.  However, if they somehow got him for the minimum, then I will not be happy.
I can't imagine he got the minimum, he had partial MLE offers from many teams.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I imagine this means that they are going to aggressively try to trade Mike Miller for the rest of the season. Try to get a big man, or, more likely a PG upgrade in the process. And if they can't move M.Miller, they'll probably amnesty him next summer.
Yeah they have to see what they can get for Miller and then move on, they don't need 4 wings.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I guess Battier is just another chump.

And Miami has no faith in Mike Miller...
Mike Miller is injured again, isn't he?

I thought it was some kind of hernia that would keep him out 4 to 8 weeks.  Even so, Miami giving ANY money to Battier is a sign that Pat Riley still hasn't given up on his fantasy of having either LeBron or Wade play the point.  It was clear from the start that Riley thought he could win a title playing Wade, Bron, Bosh, Haslem and Miller.  Battier would now slide into that last spot but he wouldn't fix the problems of Miami being very small and weak on the interior and that neither Wade nor Bron can really play the point.

Mike
With the shortened season, 4 to 8 weeks may be a significant portion of the season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, that stinks.  I guess at least it's not Dalembert, who would have been a better fit for them, in my opinion.

Yeah, I want to see what the deal is before really deciding whether I like it or not.  If the Heat used their MLE on him, then I think this is actually good for the C's.  However, if they somehow got him for the minimum, then I will not be happy.
I can't imagine he got the minimum, he had partial MLE offers from many teams.

That's what I am hoping.  But I am not going to be surprised by anything right now. 

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I thought it was some kind of hernia that would keep him out 4 to 8 weeks.  Even so, Miami giving ANY money to Battier is a sign that Pat Riley still hasn't given up on his fantasy of having either LeBron or Wade play the point.  It was clear from the start that Riley thought he could win a title playing Wade, Bron, Bosh, Haslem and Miller.  Battier would now slide into that last spot but he wouldn't fix the problems of Miami being very small and weak on the interior and that neither Wade nor Bron can really play the point.

Mike

That's not a fantasy....The messiah already plays all 5 positions....Until the Finals....

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont understand how the Heat can keep signing guys to good sized deals... Regardless, What a great signing for the Heat.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »

Offline Moreover

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 10
I imagine this means that they are going to aggressively try to trade Mike Miller for the rest of the season. Try to get a big man, or, more likely a PG upgrade in the process. And if they can't move M.Miller, they'll probably amnesty him next summer.

Also, I think by using the MLE ... Miami has limited the amount they can offer Mario Chalmers quite significantly. Something to keep an eye. Chalmers would be an unfortunate loss for Miami. One of the few quality role players on that roster.

Can't they just match whatever offer Chalmers get?

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Looking to play small because the top big men are on teams they are not worried about?

Good defensive centers do more than just defend other centers, they protect the rim. That's why Chandler was valuable in the finals, if LeBron got past his man there was someone waiting to challenge the shot.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

Also, I think by using the MLE ... Miami has limited the amount they can offer Mario Chalmers quite significantly. Something to keep an eye. Chalmers would be an unfortunate loss for Miami. One of the few quality role players on that roster.

Can't they just match whatever offer Chalmers get?

It's this new mini-MLE ($9.4mil, 3 years) and full MLE ($22mil, 4 years) rule.

They are only allowed up to around $74 million in total salary to use the full MLE.

I think Miami had something like $65-66 million in salaries prior to signing Battier. If he got the full MLE, add another $5 million onto that. That puts them at $70-71 million plus they still a few empty roster spots to fill (another million or two right there). Could leave Chalmers with as little as $2mil per annum.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Apparently Amick is reporting he got the full "mini-MLE".  Makes sense. 

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Bargain

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Yeah, that stinks.  I guess at least it's not Dalembert, who would have been a better fit for them, in my opinion.
other train of thought is that keeps battier from signing with an east contender as he would help most teams on lebron
also riley might be making showtime again
battier starts for them with lebron and wade in backcourt, running all out so no team can force them into half court game
AND he can hit the outside shot
AND (keep modifying) this makes Green part of trade seem less likely as I believe the celtics were interested in battier, with green & pierce nowhere for him, now battier is signed if we move green we are back to super weak at sf behind pierce
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:13:03 AM by 2short »

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Bargain

Yes, but then again, there aren't a lot of true contenders who could offer more.  So, its the cost of an elite ring chaser.  And it also ties the Heat's hands to fill other holes.

Its a good signing by the Heat, but it is not a killer move that puts them way above everyone else.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike
With the shortened season, 4 to 8 weeks may be a significant portion of the season.

Yes, but you don't need to spend any of your precious cap space on a wing when you've already got LeBron and Wade.  It would be like Boston doing a sign-and-trade with Baby to bring in a backup PG to play behind Rondo.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Mike

Yes, but you don't need to spend any of your precious cap space on a wing when you've already got LeBron and Wade.  It would be like Boston doing a sign-and-trade with Baby to bring in a backup PG to play behind Rondo.

Mike
Yeah it was sure stupid to bring in Posey in 07/08.