Author Topic: Rumor that Perkins was hard on Russell Westbrook  (Read 7922 times)

Rumor that Perkins was hard on Russell Westbrook
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:21:54 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Anybody catch this from yesterday's New York Daily News?

Quote from: Mitch Lawrence
After arriving from the Celtics last season and being looked at as the veteran leader Oklahoma City needed to take the next step to compete for a title, Perkins went hard at Westbrook with his verbal criticisms, often saying that the Thunder's playmaker couldn't match Rajon Rondo as a playmaker. Those words didn't sit well with Westbrook, who already had been criticized for shooting too much and was the subject of a benching heard-round-the-NBA when the Thunder played the Mavs in June.

The Thunder gave Perkins a new four-year deal worth $35 million, so the team is committed to him. But it would like him to ease up on Westbrook. A lot.

Re: Rumor that Perkins was hard on Russell Westbrook
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28:10 AM »

Kiorrik

Wouldn't surprise at all.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:35:44 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
never put down ya team mates

especially bein the new guy who didnt bring a whole lot to the table himself

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think if push comes to shove they would take Westbrook over Perk.   He is the more talented of the two.  Perk has a ring but Russell is an all star.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think that was a bit of reverse psychology he most certainly should not have used! Don't boost up a former teammate, that can hurt your new teammate's psyche... probably left RW thinking 'this guy wouldn't go to bat for me, he doesn't believe in me!'. That could hurt a youngin' like RW.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
It's true, but definitely not the right way to go about it.  Maybe talk to him in private, and let him know how much better it made the rest of his team when RR was looking to make plays for others, and how RW could look to incorporate some of that style (not all of it) into his own game.  RW is a different player, but there are some things he could take from Rondo's game that would improve his (and vice versa.)

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Perk was complimented repeatedly for his leadership in OKC.  It sounds like, for whatever reason, Westbrook has a thin skin and Perk couldn't get through to him.

This is similar to KG barking at BBD, and Baby breaking down in tears.  I think that story reflected more poorly on BBD, and I think this one reflects poorly on Westbrook.  He needs to be mentally tougher.  That said, he isn't, which is probably why management wants Perk to back off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Perk was complimented repeatedly for his leadership in OKC.  It sounds like, for whatever reason, Westbrook has a thin skin and Perk couldn't get through to him.

This is similar to KG barking at BBD, and Baby breaking down in tears.  I think that story reflected more poorly on BBD, and I think this one reflects poorly on Westbrook.  He needs to be mentally tougher.  That said, he isn't, which is probably why management wants Perk to back off.

Sorry, refresh my memory. Considering how poor Perk played in OKC, how is propping up a former teammate good leadership again?

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Perk was complimented repeatedly for his leadership in OKC.  It sounds like, for whatever reason, Westbrook has a thin skin and Perk couldn't get through to him.

This is similar to KG barking at BBD, and Baby breaking down in tears.  I think that story reflected more poorly on BBD, and I think this one reflects poorly on Westbrook.  He needs to be mentally tougher.  That said, he isn't, which is probably why management wants Perk to back off.

Sorry, refresh my memory. Considering how poor Perk played in OKC, how is propping up a former teammate good leadership again?

He was using that as a motivational tool, trying to light a fire under Westbrook to be as good as Rondo.

You think Perk just randomly attacked Westbrook repeatedly?  And yet, after that, Durant praised him for his leadership?  Or, does it make sense that Perk was doing the exact thing he did here: trying to motivate his teammates vocally?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Perk was complimented repeatedly for his leadership in OKC.  It sounds like, for whatever reason, Westbrook has a thin skin and Perk couldn't get through to him.

This is similar to KG barking at BBD, and Baby breaking down in tears.  I think that story reflected more poorly on BBD, and I think this one reflects poorly on Westbrook.  He needs to be mentally tougher.  That said, he isn't, which is probably why management wants Perk to back off.

He was using that as a motivational tool, trying to light a fire under Westbrook to be as good as Rondo.

You think Perk just randomly attacked Westbrook repeatedly?  And yet, after that, Durant praised him for his leadership?  Or, does it make sense that Perk was doing the exact thing he did here: trying to motivate his teammates vocally?
This is the team telling him to back off, not Westbrook.  I tend to think that makes Perkins look way worse then Westbrook. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This is the team telling him to back off, not Westbrook.  I tend to think that makes Perkins look way worse then Westbrook. 

Maybe.  Or maybe OKC realizes that they have a thin-skinned superstar, and they're going to try to handle him with kid gloves, even though the rest of the team responded to Perk.

Scott Brooks had issues with Westbrook, too.  The kid seems a little resistant to learning.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this reflects very poorly on Westbrook and OKC, and has little to no effect on Perkins.

Westbrook didn't leave the playoffs smelling like roses, and he's supposed to be their second best player. He was outplayed by Harden as well as Durant, and was benched late in a playoff game.

Perkins' play wasn't very good down the stretch, but he was injured, and he isn't half as talented as Westbrook. saying Perkins should be ashamed of his play and should not have attacked Westbrook is like saying Kurt Thomas should be ashamed of his play, and shouldn't criticize Derrick Rose.

On top of that, Perkins went after Westbrook privately, within the circle of the team. It obviously shook Westbrook, who tattled to the team, and someone with the team tattled to the press, which was utterly idiotic. If they thought Perkins was surly before, just wait til someone starts telling him the team is playing politics games through the press. Big fella ain't gonna like that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I remember correctly Perkins didn't have a reputation of being all cuddly. So they bring this guy in, he says what we're all thinking, Durant praises him, and they want him to let up because Westbrook cried a little? 

Something isn't adding up. Don't know what.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I think this reflects very poorly on Westbrook and OKC, and has little to no effect on Perkins.

Westbrook didn't leave the playoffs smelling like roses, and he's supposed to be their second best player. He was outplayed by Harden as well as Durant, and was benched late in a playoff game.

Perkins' play wasn't very good down the stretch, but he was injured, and he isn't half as talented as Westbrook. saying Perkins should be ashamed of his play and should not have attacked Westbrook is like saying Kurt Thomas should be ashamed of his play, and shouldn't criticize Derrick Rose.

On top of that, Perkins went after Westbrook privately, within the circle of the team. It obviously shook Westbrook, who tattled to the team, and someone with the team tattled to the press, which was utterly idiotic. If they thought Perkins was surly before, just wait til someone starts telling him the team is playing politics games through the press. Big fella ain't gonna like that.

TP.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
If I remember correctly Perkins didn't have a reputation of being all cuddly. So they bring this guy in, he says what we're all thinking, Durant praises him, and they want him to let up because Westbrook cried a little? 

Something isn't adding up. Don't know what.

This and what IP said. TPs to both of you.

I also remember Westbrook getting benched in the playoffs. Scott Brooks can downplay it all he wants, but having Westbrook sit pretty much the whole 4th quarter in that playoff game was a big deal, and between that and Perkins telling Westbrook off, something's clearly up in OKC. I don't necessarily even know if it's Westbrook, cause there really isn't any proof that he leaked the news. I can assume SOMEONE did though.

That said, I can't blame this on Perkins if he's truly saying it how it is. He's clearly recognized as a leader on the team, so it's clear his opinion matters in OKC, even if not to Westbrook. They call Westbrook a PG, but he isn't seen as someone who can distribute the ball like someone should.