Author Topic: Anybody else optimistic about a full season?  (Read 3159 times)

Anybody else optimistic about a full season?
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Until today, when anybody I know has asked me what I thought about the NBA lockout and if there will be a season next year, I told them that I was pretty certain there would be missed games if not an entire missed season.  There seemed to be no good-faith negotiation going on, the two sides seemed worlds apart, and unlike the NFL, the owners actually had something to be gained (that is, not losing money they would have under the old system) if games were missed.  The players on the other hand seemed very prepared for the lockout and many players have been taking advantage of opportunities in other leagues.

But something struck me as odd when seeing the two sides interviewed after their meeting today...  The two sides seemed to be in good moods and smiling, they had nothing except positives to say, both mentioned feelings of urgency, both sides are keeping details private, the impact a lockout will have on the communities was acknowledged, and Derek Fisher even mentioned training camp supposed to be starting Oct. 1.

A six hour meeting is extremely long.  If they were truly worlds apart and didn't feel an urgency to work something out, one side would have walked away from the table.

I don't know why, but something in me is starting to think that both sides of the NBA are willing to give in a little to keep a full season.  I think both sides are realizing that if a lockout happens, that both sides will come off looking selfish and be compared very negatively to both sides of the NFL lockout who came together in agreement for the sake of the fans (while not an accurate comparison at all, many casual fans will make it).  I think the sides are starting to finally worry about the fan resentment and also starting to be considerate of how a lockout will impact the local communities.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I've changed my stance and think we're going to have a full NBA season.  Anybody else?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Anybody else optimistic about a full season?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:10:27 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Very ... when it comes down to it I'm always a half-full kind of guy, but I also think that the NFL's example will help to persuade both sides to act like adults and come to an agreement for the sake of those they stick it to each year ... us. It's in their best interests in the long run. I have faith.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:43:23 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
By the way, TP for the positive post, Action781 ... more of this needed.  :)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nope. 

Everyone is going to try and put on a nice face, but the distance out there, the other side is always trying to wait it out. 

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Maybe not a full season, but for the first time in a long time, I feel like they are going in the right direction. 

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
only if by "full" you mean starting in mid-february.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »

Offline Bean_town fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Definitely feeling better this week than last week what with the 6 hr meeting, a meeting scheduled sooner rather than later this time and the reports from Artest/MWP (has his name changed yet?) seems to be slightly more positive!

Call me odd, but I almost love the off season more than the actual season due to signings, rumors, trades etc and fresh start for our C's......I miss cecking in every day and not seeing 'will they won't they sign eg'....

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I am optimistic that there will be zero games played.