Author Topic: Wait a minute. What? Dirk is all of a sudden a better, all-time, PF than KG?  (Read 24488 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I like Dirk.  He's humble, hard working, and talented.  But better, all-time, than KG?  Maybe I'm a homer, but, I just don't see it.

Better offensively, I'd say yes.  Overall, no.  KG just affected the game in too many other ways.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So far today, he has been said to be better then KG, Malone, Barkley, McHale...

And on par with Bird. 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Knee-jerk reactions as usual. Plus Dirk's primary contribution of scoring is easier to quantify than help defense and defensive rebounding for observers.

I still rate KG above him, though his Finals performance puts him in the conversation at that level.

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Defense is now the ugly step-child of Offense. Sorry but KG does it all on both ends of the floor

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
All of sudden, he never had any strong teammates.

People ignoring players like Nash, Finley, Kidd, Terry, Jamison, Walker,

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
History constantly gets rewritten. I'd put Duncan and KG ahead at the pf spot just for starters.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Nash wasn't the same level of player he became, in part because Dirk didn't let him dominate the ball.

But yeah, Dallas has had a lot of good teams around Dirk. Never really a great supporting cast, but always average to very good.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Nash wasn't the same level of player he became, in part because Dirk didn't let him dominate the ball.

But yeah, Dallas has had a lot of good teams around Dirk. Never really a great supporting cast, but always average to very good.

Not a ringing endorsement for a player being the 2nd best PF of all time.  

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
OK, good to see I'm not the only one who thought this was just in-the-monent hyperbole.

It's almost as if everything KG has done in his career has been forgotten since he came to Boston.  Had KG been blessed with even passable players in Minny, would we even be having this discussion?  Then again, he probably never would have made it to Boston, so, oh-well.

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

That's not true though. The same could be said about any all time great if he were to play alongside Nash.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

That's not true though. The same could be said about any all time great if he were to play alongside Nash.

I thinks it works the other way.

Put the ball in Nash's hands, he will get the best out of the offensive players around him. 

Playing with Bird allowed the best out of Parrish and Mchale.

Playing with KG allowed the best out of Pierce and Ray. 

The best out of a player does not always mean highest stats. 

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
Definetly a case to be made, and i wouldnt argue much to be honest....Dirk is much better currently...career wise pretty close....KG didnt carry the Wolves as Dirk has the mavs, not missing the playoffs for 11 years and 2 finals out of the west

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Definetly a case to be made, and i wouldnt argue much to be honest....Dirk is much better currently...career wise pretty close....KG didnt carry the Wolves as Dirk has the mavs, not missing the playoffs for 11 years and 2 finals out of the west

When KG had similar talent, he went deep in the playoffs. 

Dirk never had a team where it was him and a Wally as the best two players. 

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen

When KG had similar talent, he went deep in the playoffs. 

Dirk never had a team where it was him and a Wally as the best two players. 

Part of that was KGs fault...His enormous contract and inability to make things work with at the time with a young star in Marbury.. Also this argument could work against KG in that his numbers were inflated alot of his career bc lack of teammates., although dirk hasnt had great teammates..good ones either before or well past their prime.
Dirk just carried the mavs with Jason terry and ancient Jason Kidd as his 2 next best players, and had a tough road through the west...KG wouldnt have with that team imo

Theyre completely different people and players..just look how each reacted when they won there first title...so hard to quantify

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think its a greater knock on Nash. He is/was unable to impact the game unless he dominates the ball with his dribbling.