Author Topic: Taking a job in Stamford, CT, going to move, looking for advice.  (Read 5642 times)

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
So, I currently live in Hartford, CT and I was just offered a job in Stamford, CT.  It's about a 90 minute drive (without traffic), so I'm definitely moving.

I'm thinking about maybe living in New York somewhere, someplace where I can have a commute to work < 40 minutes, and a commute to NYC < 40 minutes.

But being close to NYC is really only for the sporting events and live music shows, not the bars or clubs or shopping or nightlife or anything like that.  (And it's a possibility my girlfriend who may soon become my wife will want to go back to school and get her Masters, so being somewhat close to NYC gives a ton of options).

On the other hand, I'd be open to living in the other direction (Fairfield/Bridgeport area) if it makes a lot more sense.  (Also most of my family and friends are based near Hartford, and most of my girlfriends family and friends are in Boston, so living somewhere East of Stamford will also help make traveling to visit family/friends a lot easier.)

Either way, thinking about living someplace along Metro North so I don't have to drive in every day and sit in traffic.

Personally, don't care about living someplace fancy, or nice, or upscale, or downtown, etc.  (Although I would like to live near NYC, but that's just a preference and not a must have)  I really just care about it being relatively safe, affordable, and the easiest commute.  I tend to live well below my means.

Anybody live/work in Stamford?  Any advice on where to live, the commute, etc.?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Taking a job in Stamford, CT, going to move, looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »

Offline CelticsGuy34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
i live in norwalk which is  about 5 miles east of stamford

if you live in stamford your only about 30-35 miles and a 40 minute drive to nyc anyways so you can live in stamford if you want or basically anywhere in fairfield county, you also have the option of living in westchester county which is close to stamford

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:55:11 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039
I live in NYC, and it is a great city, but expensive. I've visited Boston before, and it is even more expensive than the city itself. If you can afford it, go for it. You will love it.

But living under an hour away in Connecticut is just as advantageous as living in the city itself IMO. The cost of living will be less significantly less. The travel time is not that big of a deal. It takes time to get anyway within the city.

I live in another borough, and it takes me longer than 40 minutes to get into the city, especially midtown (for shows). Living in within the 5 boroughs doesn't offer that much compared to Westchester, NJ, or Connecticut. You will get much more for your money anywhere but NYC.

Good luck.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
No reason to pay NY taxes by living in Westchester County.  I'm in Greenwich, can walk to the train.  To me it's the perfect solution: sweet little town center, all the Greenwich beach and other resources, 40 minutes to Manhattan--and of course right by Stamford.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
No reason to pay NY taxes by living in Westchester County.  I'm in Greenwich, can walk to the train.  To me it's the perfect solution: sweet little town center, all the Greenwich beach and other resources, 40 minutes to Manhattan--and of course right by Stamford.

I hear about the taxes, but do you actually know approximately how much more the taxes are in NY than CT?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:44:48 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I hear about the taxes, but do you actually know approximately how much more the taxes are in NY than CT?

About 2% more on income (plus more in NYC and some other areas), in Westchester County 1.375-2.375% more on sales tax, and generally higher RE taxes as well.