Author Topic: #1 problem in nba: stoppage  (Read 1011 times)

#1 problem in nba: stoppage
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Watching the Magic Bulls game....and as usual the whistle keep blowing when it shouldn't, stopping the action in its tracks.  I'm not going to blame the refs, who are probably just trying to follow along with what's wanted by the boss...

I wish some basketball junkie who's good with video would examine past NBA games, like from last century, and figure out average length of continuous action compared to today...
Also comparable would be whistles/fouls per game, for regular and post-season play...

Some would argue the game is rougher today and more fouls are committed.  If that's true, I'm sure a happy medium is within reach.  The rules are now set up for refs to err in the direction of phantom calls instead of erring with non-calls....

I would argue that erring with phantom calls absolutely kills the NBA product, which already  has built in stoppages for time-outs and t.v. timeouts, etc...

The system has to be changed and refs need to re-learn how to let incidental contact go, especially in loose ball situations but in lots of others too...

The NBA needs to get its flow back...