Author Topic: STOP SHOOTING BIG BABY. Starting the club  (Read 18085 times)

Re: STOP SHOOTING BIG BABY. Starting the club
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 01:26:20 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
and people laugh when I place Baby OUT of the playoff rotation.  PLEASE!  we won championship number 17 without Glen Davis, we can definitely win another championship without Glen Davis.  More Jeff Green, More Jermaine, More Troy Murphey, ANYONE but glen PLEASE!

SHAQ/JERMAINE/MURPHY/KRISTIC/KG
KG/JERMAINE/JEFFGREEN/MURPHY/KRISTIC
PIERCE/JEFFGREEN/ALLEN/WAFER
ALLEN/WEST/WAFER
RONDO/WEST/ARROYO

glen davis on bench, thanks.

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 01:28:49 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
and people laugh when I place Baby OUT of the playoff rotation.  PLEASE!  we won championship number 17 without Glen Davis, we can definitely win another championship without Glen Davis.  More Jeff Green, More Jermaine, More Troy Murphey, ANYONE but glen PLEASE!

It's a very good thing that Doc doesn't agree with you.

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
BBD is a 20-25 mins player. Thats it. He is not going to be effective if he plays big minutes.

And you can't deny the fact that he takes a LOT of shots...when he makes them, its fine....but on nights like these, he is a black mark on the team.

Jeff Green should and needs to take the most shots compared to any bench player...followed by BBD or Delonte (depending on the matchup and who has the hot hand). JO/Krstic/Murphy should get the leftovers.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2011, 01:38:23 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
we'll see i guess?  what do people see in this guy(glen davis)?  I love hustle guys like scal and mark madsen, but that doesn't mean play the 35 minutes a night and take shots more than ray allen takes?  what is going on here!!! am i in a twilight zone?  this is wrong on so many levels!

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »

Offline ItsHarold

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't think the focus should be on him to stop shooting.  I think he needs to have a pass first, shoot second mentality.  And needs to spend more time around the rim.  Inside then outside game.

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
As I was sayin' glad Doc doesn't agree with you. He is, after all, an NBA coach. Read the comments, analysis, arguments and that might help.

Just posting you feel like you're in the twilight zone isn't a real argument. You don't know why BBD is playing so many minutes? Maybe it's because we, at this time, do not have a Center. Baby's role is to backup KG, not play center. He is playing both. There, ben, is your answer.

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2011, 02:55:11 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
As I was sayin' glad Doc doesn't agree with you. He is, after all, an NBA coach. Read the comments, analysis, arguments and that might help.

Just posting you feel like you're in the twilight zone isn't a real argument. You don't know why BBD is playing so many minutes? Maybe it's because we, at this time, do not have a Center. Baby's role is to backup KG, not play center. He is playing both. There, ben, is your answer.

darn you and your rationality.  i needed london dry gin after that game tonight.

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 03:52:26 AM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
typical thread.. after baby played a great game last night he has a subpar game tonight.. and now he needs to stop shooting..

threads like this drive me mad.. what were u saying last night when he made his shots?  ::)

for me, it's not even so much whether he makes it or not. it's the quality of shot selection that really gets to me. i'm not saying he's trash even though some posters may think it comes off that way. let me try and paint a picture to best explain what i mean:

Let's say BBD takes 12 shots in a game. 2 of those may be brilliant off a play, say Rondo sets him up perfectly for a nice lay up, or off a broken play where he needs to hoist something up or else suffer the shotclock violation. another 4-5 of those may be when he's within range and open, say off a pick and pop. However, the 5-6 other shots that he takes is poor shot selection, whether it's being swallowed up in the lane, taking it a foot outside of his range, taking it early in the shot clock, milking the entire shot clock to throw an off-balance and contested post shot, etc. etc. and those are what really stand out.

the rest of the other guys seem to always be willing to defer to their teammates, and usually settle for good shots, and that's why it can be infuriating to watch BBD on offense, because the ball usually stops when he touches it. even in the off chance that he makes them, i always just wipe the sweat off my forehead because i knew the Celtics caught a break there.

oh, and against the spurs, i wanted to have JO out there because Duncan was eating BBD up.
- LilRip

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2011, 06:08:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

SHAQ/JERMAINE/MURPHY/KRISTIC/KG
KG/JERMAINE/JEFFGREEN/MURPHY/KRISTIC
PIERCE/JEFFGREEN/ALLEN/WAFER
ALLEN/WEST/WAFER
RONDO/WEST/ARROYO

glen davis on bench, thanks.

I understand your irritation with Baby, he annoys me too.  But there's no way Doc suddenly drops him from the playoff rotation.  First, I'd be surprised to see Shaq and Krstic in the playoffs.  That means Baby's probably backing up both JO and KG.  He's unfortunately a much better choice than Murphy, whose health is questionable too.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if the C's make it past Philly at this point, but if they do, it will be with the goofy lug on the court.

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2011, 06:20:22 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

If you haven't already joined.......haven't seen one player blow a 4th quarter for their team any harder all season. Unless he is wide open with a whole second or more to set the shot, he needs to put those butter-canons together and pass the [dang] ball along......i'd rather seen Rondo shooting for christs sake.....sorry, just pretty p---ed I guess.....we needed this win badly! And he wasn't boxing out the entire 4th quarter especially. Shaq/Murphy can't get better any sooner.....I'd rather have freaking Murphy in there at this point.

How about you tell our Big 4 to grow some balls and take the shots down the stretch instead of kicking it to Baby at the last second?

How is the big 4 supposed to put up shots when Black Hole Davis shoots a jumpshot literally every other time he gets the ball in his hands? Or in this case, every time he got the ball in the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter (5 bricks in a row by my count, aside from being abused on the boards).......he is like Ben Gordon trapped inside a pudgy 6'9 frame with a lazer-beam jumper to work with.....he should never be shooting a jumpshot outside of 15 feet, and anything inside 10-15 feet, he better have a solid half second to set his feet so he can get enough lift under him to make that lazer-beam fire true.
      If anything, guys like Jeff Green and Delonte West need to be getting those secondary open looks when the studs are locked down on. Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.e, even Troy Murphy will get better return when he gets back from injury given that many 10-15 footers. If it comes down to Doc straight up telling Davis play pass first when he is coming off a screen, or when the opposing forward simply ignores him to double the penetrator or the guy at the top KNOWING that it's Big Baby he's leaving wide open for a reason.
     Really no more need for me to ramble on about it, stats don't lie, blowing a double-digit lead in the 4th quarter doesn't lie, this is obvious numbers and misappropriation of shot-selection by the offense. As far as I'm concerned, Glen Davis is committing a crime by stealing his more capable teammates jump shots/chances to take it to the hole.

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
In fairness, he's being asked to play too many minutes.  I also agree with what LB3533 says:  a lot of times, the other starters pass up open shots to swing the ball to BBD, with time running down on the shot clock.

(At the same time, there are plenty of times when he shoots fairly early in the clock.  Basically, BBD never met a shot he didn't like.)

We have a lot of unselfish players on our team...it is also part of our offensive design...to spread the ball.

If Baby passes up shots like Rondo used to pass up a lot of open shots...we will have way more 24 second violations.

Baby is our defacto Eddie House...he's our end point guy. If he isn't shooting open shots, he's not playing his role.

We're not going to ask Baby to dribble and drive to the cup are we?

We're not going to ask Baby to be a play maker and make super sweet passes?

If Glen Davis is our "Defacto Eddie House" then we are SCREWED

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2011, 06:38:17 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
typical thread.. after baby played a great game last night he has a subpar game tonight.. and now he needs to stop shooting..

threads like this drive me mad.. what were u saying last night when he made his shots?  ::)

Reactionary, sure. But don't mention it like this is his first game where he settles for every first look he gets in the rotation. I prefer him using mismatches and getting underneath, making more of a hustle play to score. It was a noticeably awful game against a possible first round playoff matchup, clearly showing which formula to ignore the next time they go in to the 3rd and 4th quarter with a solid lead.
    Trust me dude, I pretty much never get excited any time Big Baby is taking jumpers. Whether he makes them or not, I'm hardly ever thinking it's going to fall as it's in the air, unlike KG from 18 feet, Pierce a the corner of the key, or Allen for three from anywhere. You watch their shots and most of the time actually think they are going in because they have actual form and control over their shot. We have too many players on the team who can knock down and create their own shots to have Davis shooting 50% of our FG's at the end of a game.

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29:51 AM »

Offline BrainardJohn20

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Hey, I think this is too late, I've already joined this even before you did not make it. I'm sick of him wanna be 1st option he's a good player but he's not this teams hero. Did Doc Rivers just don't run plays for Ray just to get Big baby to shoot? Like Droopy said: Oh dear, oh my!  ???

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think davis needs to be reminded what his role is. he shoots boston out or a lot of games

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If you think Glen Davis was the reason we lost in Atlanta, you're in some serious denial.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."