Author Topic: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?  (Read 106934 times)

Re: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I've noticed that on average, you can count on about 1 tommy point for every 10 posts, more or less.  I've noticed that I tend to get more TP's when my responses are Celtic-positive, and not so much when I get critical.  We are fans, first and foremost, so that makes sense. When I read a post that says something that I wanted to post but was just too lazy to write, or just forgot, that person always gets a TP from me. Or if something that requires a lot of organization and thought, or makes me think about something I had not considered, or just makes me LOL, they get my TP.  

Hmmmmm....

Chris Bosh stinks!

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm sure most mods will disagree because they never agree with me when I point out the gap between mods and ordinary posters... but it does exist.

There's a difference between saying that mods are looked like differently, and saying that they hang together in a clique and abuse their power.

Of course some people see mods differently.  We stand out, because we have a title.  Similarly, non-mod staff members stand out, because they have a title.  Each of these members has been singled out by Jeff to play a role on the site, so of course some people are going to look at their opinion through a different lens.  Sometimes, that lens is one of increased respect.  Other times, that lens is one jaundiced by one's natural anti-authority streak.

The talks about staff cliques, mod bias, abuse of power, etc., that we've already seen in this thread are ridiculous.  People are long on allegations, and short on specifics, as always seems to be the case.  I doubt there's a message board anywhere that doesn't have such allegations; the difference is that on CelticsBlog, we actually try to address the concerns of the members, rather than just deleting the (often petty) complaints.

Back to the original topic:  if people feel like they're not getting enough attention, just keep posting.  Earn some credibility with other members, which is a big part of it.  Show people that you know that you know what you're talking about, and eventually, they'll catch on and will interact more. 

Couldn't disagree with you more Roy, though I think you are good mod, at least from what I've generally seen.

This isn't about hurt feelings or lost self-worth due to being ignored as others have suggested.  It is about building an inclusive online community that promotes dialogue.  The quality of the post should matter more than the quantity of posts.   When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Off topic: Does anyone ever notice on this board that posters usually tend to respond more to high-volume posters who they already know, even when the comments are redundant, rather than notice posts from others who they may not know? 

You're preaching to the choir.  I've been making valid points on this blog for 4 years now and only have 13 tommy points.  Most of my stuff gets ignored but someone who says we should trade Jermaine O'Neal, Glen Davis, and Avery Bradley for Dwight Howard will get 8 pages of comments.

You get a point for about every 5 posts you have. That seems to be a pretty good average comparatively.

See, even the poster with the 2nd most stars can be ignored.  I made the exact same post already, and it was missed.

Why?  

Because we miss things.  

Just remember

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Have to agree with Dons here. Are people really going to get bent out of shape because if you are a new or low quantity poster your posts aren't being responded to as much as a person who posts on the blog 10-20 times a day? Really?!?!?!?!

I mean, sorry, but simply through shear numbers the people who post more are more apt to come up with a post that will ignite something in someone to create a response. Not everybody hits a homerun with every post and warrants a response to that post and if you aren't adding something new or interesting at a time where a thread is getting traffic, chances are your post isn't going to be responded to.

Celticsblog is not a community to measure your self worth from, even though, apparently there are some that do. Celticsblog is a community to air one's voice and be heard. Does it matter if your voice is responded to or if you have one star or 33 stars or 1 Tommy Point or 5000? Does it really make that big a difference in your life because if it does, my suggestion is to get off the computer and get out more.

This is Nick. See Nick scorn. Scorn, Nick, Scorn.  :P
LOL

Keep it up KC and I'm going to personally make sure that I draft Wesley Matthews in every draft we have on this blog and then I'm going to photoshop him in a Boxers uniform and make it my avatar.

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm just glad you love him now!

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
Have to agree with Dons here. Are people really going to get bent out of shape because if you are a new or low quantity poster your posts aren't being responded to as much as a person who posts on the blog 10-20 times a day? Really?!?!?!?!

I mean, sorry, but simply through shear numbers the people who post more are more apt to come up with a post that will ignite something in someone to create a response. Not everybody hits a homerun with every post and warrants a response to that post and if you aren't adding something new or interesting at a time where a thread is getting traffic, chances are your post isn't going to be responded to.

Celticsblog is not a community to measure your self worth from, even though, apparently there are some that do. Celticsblog is a community to air one's voice and be heard. Does it matter if your voice is responded to or if you have one star or 33 stars or 1 Tommy Point or 5000? Does it really make that big a difference in your life because if it does, my suggestion is to get off the computer and get out more.

LOL

Keep it up KC and I'm going to personally make sure that I draft Wesley Matthews in every draft we have on this blog and then I'm going to photoshop him in a Boxers uniform and make it my avatar.

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Again this isn't about hurt feelings. It's about encouraging new members to post and increasing dialogue instead of the same small group of people make inside jokes about Wesley Matthews.

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm sure most mods will disagree because they never agree with me when I point out the gap between mods and ordinary posters... but it does exist.

There's a difference between saying that mods are looked like differently, and saying that they hang together in a clique and abuse their power.

Of course some people see mods differently.  We stand out, because we have a title.  Similarly, non-mod staff members stand out, because they have a title.  Each of these members has been singled out by Jeff to play a role on the site, so of course some people are going to look at their opinion through a different lens.  Sometimes, that lens is one of increased respect.  Other times, that lens is one jaundiced by one's natural anti-authority streak.

The talks about staff cliques, mod bias, abuse of power, etc., that we've already seen in this thread are ridiculous.  People are long on allegations, and short on specifics, as always seems to be the case.  I doubt there's a message board anywhere that doesn't have such allegations; the difference is that on CelticsBlog, we actually try to address the concerns of the members, rather than just deleting the (often petty) complaints.

Back to the original topic:  if people feel like they're not getting enough attention, just keep posting.  Earn some credibility with other members, which is a big part of it.  Show people that you know that you know what you're talking about, and eventually, they'll catch on and will interact more. 

Couldn't disagree with you more Roy, though I think you are good mod, at least from what I've generally seen.

This isn't about hurt feelings or lost self-worth due to being ignored as others have suggested.  It is about building an inclusive online community that promotes dialogue.  The quality of the post should matter more than the quantity of posts.   When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

There are around 600 posts a day on average, the top 20 posters don’t comprise 80% by any stretch.

We have a lot of new members all the time and CB is growing constantly. The idea that it’s a stagnant community full of cliques and inside jokes isn’t in line with the reality of the board. Plenty of new posters come along all the time, just as older posters drift away due to RL or other concerns.

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

LOL

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Again this isn't about hurt feelings. It's about encouraging new members to post and increasing dialogue instead of the same small group of people make inside jokes about Wesley Matthews.
CB isn't inhabited by a small group of people though, and frankly it does seem like people are upset they don't get enough attention. Otherwise why would they be upset when people don't quote box them or give them TPs?

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

LOL

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Inside jokes are not going away.  

If you want to know, ask.  I have explained "CROTOR" at least 6 times over the years.  I have seen "The Deli Guy" explained nearly as many.  

The inside joke is not to exclude new members.  It is a shared blog history.  

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

LOL

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And Mo Williams. Don't forget Mo Williams.

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford

This isn't about hurt feelings or lost self-worth due to being ignored as others have suggested.  It is about building an inclusive online community that promotes dialogue.  The quality of the post should matter more than the quantity of posts.   When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

There are around 600 posts a day on average, the top 20 posters don’t comprise 80% by any stretch.

We have a lot of new members all the time and CB is growing constantly. The idea that it’s a stagnant community full of cliques and inside jokes isn’t in line with the reality of the board. Plenty of new posters come along all the time, just as older posters drift away due to RL or other concerns.

You disputed my argument by saying my (admittedly estimated) stats are wrong but then you provided no stats to back up your argument.

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The quality of the post should matter more
  When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

I would guess that those numbers are skewed; there are definitely more than 10-20 posters that bring a lot to the table, in terms of both quantity and quality, here. 

I do agree that quality > quantity.  However, I think that a lot of posters recognize quality.  Sure, the "big name" and/or more visible posters (i.e., those with recognizable avatars or signatures) get more attention as a whole, but that doesn't mean that posters with smaller post counts are ignored. 

I can think of several posters who have started posting since the trade who I can think of off the top of my head, because they've mad themselves known with the strength of their arguments (good or bad).  Similarly, I've seen relative "newbies" be embraced in places like the CB Draft, etc.  It's all about putting yourself out there; posters who repeatedly make quality posts will get recognized, I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

LOL

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A noble goal, but I think you just invited KC to the "in crowd", and that won't fly around here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
When new posters are ignored it discourages them from posting again and you get what you have now on this board....probably 10-20 posters make 70-80% of the posts.

I disagree with this - the community is much larger and more diverse than it was when I started here 3 years ago.  Maybe it was my perception as a newer poster at the time, but it seemed like a much more tightly-knit group than we have now too, because the site was newer and, well, the team sucked. 

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

You disputed my argument by saying my (admittedly estimated) stats are wrong but then you provided no stats to back up your argument.

600 is the rough average number of posts for this month, the top posters at the highest activity level post 16 times per day. 20 x 16 = 320. That's just over half, of course most of the "top 20" post a lot less than 16 times per day. So your 70 yo 80% number is wrong.

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I listen to Roy Hobbs and Redz, and Jeff.

Thats about it.