Author Topic: Rudy Gay to miss the season/playoffs  (Read 3844 times)

Re: Rudy Gay to miss the season/playoffs
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Isn't this almost the exact same injury that Perkins needed shoulder surgery for a few seasons ago?

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Isn't this almost the exact same injury that Perkins needed shoulder surgery for a few seasons ago?

Pretty much.  A shoulder separation / dislocation means the shoulder popped out of joint.  I think there's a technical difference regarding how much of the shoulder dislocated (i.e., a "partial" separation), but it's the same injury, just different to the matter of degree. 

There's no guarantee that Gay will need surgery, though.  Basically, once a guy gets a dislocation, it makes it likelier that another dislocation will occur.  With each dislocation, the tendons / muscles holding the shoulder together weaken, holding it in place less and less tightly.  Eventually, surgery may be needed to re-tighten the tendons.  It's a pretty minor procedure, and can be done arthroscopicly now (as opposed to the more painful open surgery of the past). 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

Pretty much.  A shoulder separation / dislocation means the shoulder popped out of joint.  I think there's a technical difference regarding how much of the shoulder dislocated (i.e., a "partial" separation), but it's the same injury, just different to the matter of degree. 

There's no guarantee that Gay will need surgery, though.  Basically, once a guy gets a dislocation, it makes it likelier that another dislocation will occur.  With each dislocation, the tendons / muscles holding the shoulder together weaken, holding it in place less and less tightly.  Eventually, surgery may be needed to re-tighten the tendons.  It's a pretty minor procedure, and can be done arthroscopicly now (as opposed to the more painful open surgery of the past). 

TP Roy, good to know.  I like Gay as a player and I'm glad it's not serious enough to be a Brandon Roy type situation.  At least this injury, as we saw with Perkins, is one where he could overcome and get back to the level he was at before.  If I recall correctly, other than one minor setback after the original surgery, Perk never struggled with shoulder issues again, perhaps an indicator for what Gay might expect.  Plus it was Gay's non-shooting shoulder which should help his recovery at least a little bit.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Im glad he isn't playing against us but this is disappointing news.  I am always rooting for UConn players (and some of them have had a ROUGH go at it)