Author Topic: NFL Labor Situation  (Read 3496 times)

NFL Labor Situation
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
People ready for a lockout?

Its sure looking that way right now.  10 years of audited financial records from the owners?  Good luck with that.

The NFL Players Association, presented with a proposal from the league's owners group in a federal mediation session late Friday afternoon as a 5 p.m. decertification deadline approached, has rejected the offer as "significant differences" remained, union chief DeMaurice Smith said.

Smith said 10 years of audited financial records must accompany any request from the owners for an extension before the deadline .

The owners' group convened among themselves late Friday afternoon to discuss the next steps, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

As the sides continued to negotiate in Washington, Smith told players during a conference call earlier in the day the plan was to decertify, a source told Schefter.

But the deadline left the union's group time to alter its stance or change its thinking as the sides met at a federal mediator's office for a 16th day of talks.

The league's collective bargaining agreement was set to expire at the end of the day.

Decertification, which effectively disbands the NFLPA, would give the union the chance to sue under antitrust laws if there is a lockout. Without decertification, the union would have to wait six months to file a suit after the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: NFL Labor Situation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We're about to enter the worst part of these things, the part where congress tries to get involved, as if they were capable of solving something more complicated than a dinner menu. Oh, joy.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I guess it's technically not going to be a lockout since the union just got dissolved.

Whatever the heck you want to call it, its gonna get messy. 

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well, I guess it's technically not going to be a lockout since the union just got dissolved.

Whatever the heck you want to call it, its gonna get messy. 

You know who is happy about this?  The lawyers who work for each side.  Wow.  This just made their year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Its sure looking that way right now.  10 years of audited financial records from the owners?  Good luck with that.

I haven't been following this all that closely, but I thought the owners balked earlier at providing 2009 info (they did provide 2010 info I recall).  So of course they're gonna balk at 10 years worth of info...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I haven't been following this all that closely, but I thought the owners balked earlier at providing 2009 info (they did provide 2010 info I recall).  So of course they're gonna balk at 10 years worth of info...

It's crazy.

Why would the owners ever willingly give up that information to the players? 

There's absolutely no way in heck that the owners would want people to see what they're spending money on (i.e. probably some ridiculous expenses) not to mention do you really think owners want other owners to see how much they're spending and what exactly they're spending it on?

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601
Do you think this will effect the NBA at all?

I can see it from both ways if July 1st rolls around and the NFL Labor situation isn't resolved:

The NBA players could be scared seeing the NFL lockout has gone on for a few months with no end in sight and some unprepared NFL players struggling.

The NBA owners could be scared seeing the NFL players haven't budged yet, and figuring a similar struggle for themselves.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do you think this will effect the NBA at all?

I can see it from both ways if July 1st rolls around and the NFL Labor situation isn't resolved:

The NBA players could be scared seeing the NFL lockout has gone on for a few months with no end in sight and some unprepared NFL players struggling.

The NBA owners could be scared seeing the NFL players haven't budged yet, and figuring a similar struggle for themselves.

I think the NBA owners are hellbent on going to a lockout.  What happens in the NFL won't affect them.  Their system is broke and needs to be fixed.   The NFL situation is different, IMO.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:06:34 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 989
For the first time in many, many years, I have decided to cancel my NFL Package as my show of disgust over the greed. They wont get me subscribing again this year no matter what. I can think of a better use for that money and actually give it to people who actually need it.

All of the fans should have gotten together and made a symbolic Football with a show of mass cancellations. It is just a small ripple in their multi billion dollar pond, but it is something nonetheless.

Thank you Players and Thank You Owners.

In times like these where there is mass suffering going on in the world, they should allocate the difference between them to charity and help people who actually need the money. This whole thing makes me sick when I really think about it.

edit - no offensive language - wdleehi
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:36:32 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

We're about to enter the worst part of these things, the part where congress tries to get involved, as if they were capable of solving something more complicated than a dinner menu. Oh, joy.
I seem to remember them having problems over whether to call the fries Freedom Fries or not at the Capitol Building

then there have been the fights over Mrs. Obama's obesity campaign and Reagan declaring ketchup a vegetable.

Scariest words in our language....I'm from the government and I'm here to help

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm squarely on the side of the players. I don't see how the owners can pretend they're negotiating in good faith if they don't open the books.

I've never believed a single owner or executive that says they're losing money.  Oh really? Let's open the books. Oh you don't want to? That's because you're a liar.

And I'm dead set against tax payers putting a cent into stadiums/arenas unless they are given something of equal or better value in return