Author Topic: SVG on David Stern (about commenting about Tecchnical rule)  (Read 2815 times)

SVG on David Stern (about commenting about Tecchnical rule)
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6190784

"This is the system David Stern and his minions like it," Van Gundy said. "So that's the system you have ... I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot or leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinion or free speech or anything. So I'm not really allowed to have an opinion. So it's up to him. He decides and he likes the system he has."

Re: SVG on David Stern (about commenting about Tecchnical rule)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No one pays to see his stupid dirty refs only the players.  I would be jacked if I had tickets to see Dwight and he was suspended.  He is a vastly over rated commisioner who is a brillant at marketing.   But he would have been nothing without Jordan.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
so how long before Van Gundy is fined half his salary and then "surprisingly" fired and out of the NBA? I say the fine comes this week, the end of his nba career this summer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
SVG is a whiny little 2 year old....but he's also right. You'd think he'd get tired of writing 5 figure checks every couple of months by now.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Cant wait to see the fine he gets on this one.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I realize SVG is trying to stand up for his player, but he and his team would be better off if Dwight stopped being such a little baby.  Nobody's doing anything to Dwight that wasn't done before to guys like Shaq or McHale.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I used to hate SVG with a passion.  But since we broke his will and laughed his team off the court last season I've thought he isn't that bad.  This quote actually causes me to like him.  David Stern is a dictator and an awful human being, in my opinion.  Anyone willing to speak out against him, no less a coach, gets points in my book.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
SVG is a great coach. If we lose Doc, and he is available, I would take him over any other coach, because he tells his players the truth in each time out. That is what makes both him and Doc such good coaches.  Larry Frank is a nice kid, but will never be able to command a huddle the way that SVG can.

Bill Walton during the GS Warriors game constantly criticized the refs for not letting the players play. It is the worst thing about the NBA, too many whistles, which seem to be arbitrarily administered depending on a player's rep (although they have gotten better about that aspect the past year or two).

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
so how long before Van Gundy is fined half his salary and then "surprisingly" fired and out of the NBA? I say the fine comes this week, the end of his nba career this summer

Sort of like his brother?  I wouldn't discount it.

Reminds me of what Sheed said about the flops...among (lol) other things Sheed said in the past....Absolutely true.  

I realize SVG is trying to stand up for his player, but he and his team would be better off if Dwight stopped being such a little baby.  Nobody's doing anything to Dwight that wasn't done before to guys like Shaq or McHale.

Mike

Problem, Mike, is that the league has been so pussified since the McHale era...(I don't buy the Shaq part.  Shaq is so huge that it's hard to gauge what's happening to him.)  The rules are different.  And there are different rules for different players that didn't exist when McHale was playing.  With the exception of the messiah...Who plays by no NBA rulebook...The players pretty much know what they can get away with.  A lot of what Howard's techs are called for would have been policed by opposing team's enforcers in the McHale era. The officials would have had little, if anything to do with it.  Especially to watch live...The battles under the boards during the McHale era and back were akin to bar room brawls.  But seldom was a line crossed between the players.  No matter how physically imposing Howard is, somebody would have taken him out if his elbows kept flying in the McHale era.  

Same thing could be said for Garnett's antics....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:26:25 AM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline bmxgitch

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
The NBA has over ruled some of the Technicals given out this year. What they should do when that happens make the refs pay the fine for their screw up ! Maybe then they will stop handing out uncalled for technicals  !!!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Can I give SVG some TPs?

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »

Offline garz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
That's an argument everyone can agree with.

SVG's arguments about howards getting hit too much or whatever it is- that's stupid. He's already a protected player and the league's media darling. He needs to grow up and control himself- that's the real issue. Still SVG should be allowed to express his opinions if he wants.

Jeff Van Gundy should also be allowed to express his opinion that howards gets hit too much, but he should also pay the consequences and be fired for losing all restraint and going on completely unhinged 10 minute rants about it in commentary that is supposed to be neutral. You would think he would try to tone it down a little considering his connection to the magic is well known. It's especially unacceptable to go on one of these whiny rants during a lakers-spurs game that has nothing to do with dwight howard.

Sorry most of that has nothing to do with this topic.