Author Topic: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)  (Read 16166 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Jazz are in a tough situation heading into Los Angeles for tonight’s game against the Lakers -- they have not beaten the Lakers in L.A. in 16 tries, including the playoffs, and are currently riding a four-game losing streak. Star guard Deron Williams is not happy, telling NBA.com that he, like seemingly every other star player in the league these days, will have to consider his future if things do not improve soon.

“My contract’s up in two years,” Williams said. “It’s a now or never situation. I don’t know what I’m going to do after this one.”
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-01-25/sloan-makes-lineup-change-before-jazz-face-lakers

I think there is a pretty good chance he leaves , just like Dwight Howard if their teams are unable to acquire another superstar they are gone IMO. Since the C's will likely have enough Cap room to offer max contract this is a situation worth watching.

My question is do you think Rondo and Deron could play together in the backcourt? Deron definitely has enough size and strength to play SG and he is a very good shooter . Could he be as effective without the ball in his hands all the time ?

And another question. Would you do a S +T of Williams for Rondo in 2012 ? I love Rondo, but if Deron Williams was our PG I think we might have a better shot of landing Dwight Howard .

For me , if Rondo doesn't improve his outside game in the next 2 years I would definitely consider it .

Re: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The Jazz are in a tough situation heading into Los Angeles for tonight’s game against the Lakers -- they have not beaten the Lakers in L.A. in 16 tries, including the playoffs, and are currently riding a four-game losing streak. Star guard Deron Williams is not happy, telling NBA.com that he, like seemingly every other star player in the league these days, will have to consider his future if things do not improve soon.

“My contract’s up in two years,” Williams said. “It’s a now or never situation. I don’t know what I’m going to do after this one.”
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-01-25/sloan-makes-lineup-change-before-jazz-face-lakers

I think there is a pretty good chance he leaves , just like Dwight Howard if their teams are unable to acquire another superstar they are gone IMO. Since the C's will likely have enough Cap room to offer max contract this is a situation worth watching.

My question is do you think Rondo and Deron could play together in the backcourt? Deron definitely has enough size and strength to play SG and he is a very good shooter . Could he be as effective without the ball in his hands all the time ?

And another question. Would you do a S +T of Williams for Rondo in 2012 ? I love Rondo, but if Deron Williams was our PG I think we might have a better shot of landing Dwight Howard .

For me , if Rondo doesn't improve his outside game in the next 2 years I would definitely consider it .

This is getting ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
With D.Williams being from the Dallas area ive always had a feeling that Mark Cuban would go after him.But to answer your question yes i would give up Rondo for Deron in a heartbeat.  

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
I don't believe they could play together, but I would trade Rondo for Deron.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:25:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Yeah, I fully expect Deron Williams to leave Utah in 2012. Have done since Carlos Boozer left.

Thought there was a pretty good chance he'd leave even if Boozer stayed due to Utah's management's lack of ambition ... their contentedness with winning 50 games instead of sticking their neck out and trying to make a trade that puts them over the top. Their passive personnel decisions, their non-attempts to fix their defensive issues. Their inability to change their roster to better matchup with LA.

After all those years of being good to very good but not quite good enough to win a title, it would wear a man down. He'd need to see some sign of the franchise trying to make that final push ... something they have not done while he has been there. They are happy just to be winning 50 games a year and making a profit.

It's a franchise that from all recent signs is primarily about making money and not about winning championships.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Deron Williams could play the two guard spot and be a very good player at that position albeit not as good as he is at the PG spot ... but he couldn't play alongside Rondo. Too many diminishing returns.

Rondo and Deron both need too much of the ball and both would rather be passers / playmakers than scorers. They would hurt one another's games too much. Not worth pursuing.

I would happily consider trading Rondo for Deron ... although with Rondo's improvements over the past 18 months, that is no longer an easy question.

Rondo has cut the gap between him and Deron + Paul. Very close to their level of play.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Deron Williams could play the two guard spot and be a very good player at that position albeit not as good as he is at the PG spot ... but he couldn't play alongside Rondo. Too many diminishing returns.

Rondo and Deron both need too much of the ball and both would rather be passers / playmakers than scorers. They would hurt one another's games too much. Not worth pursuing.

I would happily consider trading Rondo for Deron ... although with Rondo's improvements over the past 18 months, that is no longer an easy question.

Rondo has cut the gap between him and Deron + Paul. Very close to their level of play.
I wouldn't say he is very close to those guys levels because he still can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Paul and Deron are much better shooters then Rondo, all three are excellent passers and rebounders, and good defenders.  Unless Rondo significantly improves his shooting he will never be anywhere near as good as Williams or Paul.

I'd make the trade this year, which works.

Williams, Bell, Watson, Okur

for

Rondo, Allen, J O'Neal, Bradley, Von Wafer

I'd consider even throwing in a 1st and would throw some cash if it mattered.

Gives Boston a starting unit of Williams, Bell, Pierce, KG, Perkins with a rotation of Robinson, Daniels, Davis, Shaq, and Okur with Watson and West on the deep bench.  Erden and Gody go back to suits where they should be for development purposes and leaves the C's with an extra spot to add someone if they want.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:39:28 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
He'll stay in Utah because they can offer the most money, mystery solved.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Like Lebron, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, and possibly Carmelo?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

if he can't win in Utah, he is not going to stay there. He could still make the same money he would make in Utah by doing a S+ T . Rondo is likely better than anything else they could get back for Williams

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

for

I think that trade is a pretty big downgrade to our title hopes.  Bell and Okur are shells of their former selves, averaging a combined 13 points per game.  We can't give up both Rondo and Ray (plus picks and prospects) for a return of Deron and a couple of mediocre guys.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The biggest difference between CP3/Williams and Rondo now is that they make 3s and hit their free throws.

When it comes to things other than scoring from those two areas Rondo has reached their level.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

for

I think that trade is a pretty big downgrade to our title hopes.  Bell and Okur are shells of their former selves, averaging a combined 13 points per game.  We can't give up both Rondo and Ray (plus picks and prospects) for a return of Deron and a couple of mediocre guys.
Okur is just coming back from an injury.  He has looked better physically the last few games.  You take Bell for his defense.  He is still a pretty good defender and he isn't a bad outside shooter. 

I think the upgrade at PG is worth the downgrade at SG.  And while Okur is still coming back from injury, he is still an upgrade over JO who isn't playing.  Watson is also much more of a pure PG then anything on our bench, which might come in handy on the bench at some point in time.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

for

TP for posting it before I could.
Bell is not the same guy he was in Phoenix, and Okur is not the same talent that left Detroit for a huge contract.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4c84mbj

Now that trade I would do ONLY if Ray was bought out and came back for a year

Deron,Millsap and Okur to Boston
Rondo,Ray,BBD,JO, and Nate to Utah - Waive Ray and resigns

Deron, West
Ray, Wafer
Pierce, Quis
KG, Millsap
Perk, Okur, Shaq
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The downgrade from Ray Allen to Raj Bell isn't made up for by getting Williams, especially when he can leave in 2012.

Raj is pretty cooked at this point.