Author Topic: Chad Ochocinco wants to join the New England Patriots  (Read 11176 times)

Re: Chad Ochocinco wants to join the New England Patriots
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Pass.  Bill did a good job getting rid of problem players this year and offseason.  There's no reason he should bring one in.

See, I don't think of OchoCinco as a problem player, and I don't think Belichick thinks of him as a problem player.  He likes having fun on the field, but he's not a guy that you hear pouting or see not playing hard.  BB has been pretty consistently effusive in his man-love for OchoCinco over the years, there's no reason to believe it's not genuine.

And yeah, the Pats need to improve primarily on the defensive end...  but that sure as hell doesn't mean that you don't improve the offense whenever you can as well, especially if it's a relatively low-cost acquisition (and I'm assuming it would be).  That's just a nonsensical line of thinking.  

You've also got to think that they're at least a LITTLE disappointed with neither Tate or Edelman really taking the next step this year, they both had their moments on the return units but neither really stepped into that third-wideout role that they would have wanted.  Taylor Price, they'll give him some more time but they can't be counting on him.  They'll bring in some veteran to compete for reps at wideout; why not a guy that could easily be the #1 receiver (again, assuming the cost is reasonable?).

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, I don't know if Ochocinco is the answer; however, we do need a deep threat.  If we had the Randy Moss of two years ago, the Pats are hosting the Steelers this weekend.  The Jets ability to collapse the field really hurt us. 

If they don't get Ochocinco, they need a deep threat in the draft. 

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does he still have the speed to stretch the field? I didn't watch Cincy play much this year so I don't know how well his legs have held up.

He had 67 catches for about 900 yards and 4 tds. He averaged 12. 4 yards per catch and his career average is about 14 yard per catch.

I think he can still stretch the field, at least for a few seasons.
I have my doubts, WRs on bad teams are one of the positions where so so players can pile up stats.
I agree. I see no need for Randy Moss junior.

If I'm Belichick I'm like "Well let's talk about a minimum contract and you deleting your twitter and myspace accounts."

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »

Offline TheAuerbach

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Does he still have the speed to stretch the field? I didn't watch Cincy play much this year so I don't know how well his legs have held up.

He had 67 catches for about 900 yards and 4 tds. He averaged 12. 4 yards per catch and his career average is about 14 yard per catch.

I think he can still stretch the field, at least for a few seasons.
I have my doubts, WRs on bad teams are one of the positions where so so players can pile up stats.
I agree. I see no need for Randy Moss junior.

If I'm Belichick I'm like "Well let's talk about a minimum contract and you deleting your twitter and myspace accounts."

There are plenty of Pats with Twitter accounts. I'm sure BB would tell him to keep his tone calm and not spark any controversy.

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
I like the guy and would feel favorably about his decision.  Despite being a bit outlandish, he has always been a high compete guy and even with all the suck he has endured as a Bengal there have never been reports about him quitting.  Plus you can always get a season or two out of high skill, questionable personality guy that hasn't won; it's knowing when to cut bait that the Pats have struggled with. 

However, he doesn't address the teams weaknesses. Pats need 4 more Logan Mankins (and to re-sign the one they have) and 2 more Vince Wilforks.  What I'm trying to say is they need to get bigger, stronger and meaner in the trenches. When the Pats were at their best they were a bruising team.  They also need to fill that elusive outside linebacker/down rusher role.  A true strong safety would also be an improvement, allowing them to move Chungg to free safety and let Merriweather go the way of the do-do.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He's changing his name back to Johnson.  Maybe so he can come here and wear a different number?  He might not solve one of our most important problems, but he would most certainly help.  He is definitely better than Deion Branch and Brandon Tate.
do it

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Chad is NOT a problem player. He plays hard every down and likes to have fun, I'd compare him to a similar personality as Shaq. The Pats have a lot of issues right now, and the deep threat is only a small piece of the puzzle.

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
If you can acquire him for small money, you can scratch a need off your list for the draft. Also, I think he brings some needed attitude to the team. LOVE to have him.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Chad probably would spend most of his time on the sideline in Belichick's penalty box for one reason or another,so whats the point in bringing him in?

Chad's not a problem player but can be a distraction for team mates at time.Bill's liking Chad from a distance is one thing but to put up with him on a daily basis is another.

Chad's also 33yrs.old.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:12:48 AM by housecall »

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Chad is NOT a problem player. He plays hard every down and likes to have fun, I'd compare him to a similar personality as Shaq. The Pats have a lot of issues right now, and the deep threat is only a small piece of the puzzle.

He plays hard, but I also think he is completely insane, and a handful to coach.  He doesn't take plays off like Moss, but he also is not the type of player that simply does what the coach wants.  He will make a big deal of it if he is not getting the ball, and he will make himself a distraction if he is not the center of attention, and the center of the offense.  

With that said, I am not opposed to bringing him in...on a short term deal.  Guys like that can toe the line for a year or so, before really causing problems.  

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
a deep threat is definetly a need this season i think ocho cinco would fit perfect over here... him and tate would stretch the field and welker and brach's game will open up more... ocho cinco and some interior offensive lineman would be just what we need for this offense.

another need for this team is a veteran DE who can rush the passer some one like saun ellis and a veteran LB like vrabel.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Focusing on the defense doesn't mean that you abandon the offense.  Personally I thought Tate & Edlemen stunk as WRs.. especially Tate.  Watching Brady through a perfect deep ball, only to have Tate outstretch and miss by 2ft, was like watching a 5yr old trying to dunk a basketball.  There's no reason a phenomenal QB should be stuck with lack of talent to throw to.  Let's make use of our strengths and get a quality WR.  I'd prefer a different WR than Ochocinco, but I'm not sure who is available.  If TO behaved like he did last year, then I think he'd be a better option than Ochocinco, but I'm skeptical.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Chad probably would spend most of his time on the sideline in Belichick's penalty box for one reason or another,so whats the point in bringing him in?

Chad's not a problem player but can be a distraction for team mates at time.Bill's liking Chad from a distance is one thing but to put up with him on a daily basis is another.

Chad's also 33yrs.old.

Chad and Bill are actually pretty close, theres alot of mutual respect there. It's one of the reasons the option is even talked about.

Bill has often said he loves the way he competes and plays the game, and chad has said he'd like to play for him.

I'd be estatic with a  one year deal...or a one year deal with a team option for a second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUus71jrh4
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Focusing on the defense doesn't mean that you abandon the offense.  Personally I thought Tate & Edlemen stunk as WRs.. especially Tate.  Watching Brady through a perfect deep ball, only to have Tate outstretch and miss by 2ft, was like watching a 5yr old trying to dunk a basketball.  There's no reason a phenomenal QB should be stuck with lack of talent to throw to.  Let's make use of our strengths and get a quality WR.  I'd prefer a different WR than Ochocinco, but I'm not sure who is available.  If TO behaved like he did last year, then I think he'd be a better option than Ochocinco, but I'm skeptical.

TO was terrible behaviour wise last year and by the end he was openly calling out his coaches...again. The guy is hopeless and more concerned with himself and his image than anything else.

Chad Johnson is at least a baller. TO is just a show.

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

Chad's also 33yrs.old.

Chad and Bill are actually pretty close, theres alot of mutual respect there. It's one of the reasons the option is even talked about.

Bill has often said he loves the way he competes and plays the game, and chad has said he'd like to play for him.

I'd be estatic with a  one year deal...or a one year deal with a team option for a second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUus71jrh4
I made it clear that Bill likes Chad as a person/player but has never said he wants him on his team,there's a big differnce...you love your inlaws but you don't want to live with them,for one reason or another.