Author Topic: How possible would it be for the Lakers to pull off a trade for Nash  (Read 1659 times)

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I was just at ESPN's homepage and they were speculating about Phoenix possibly wanting to trade Steve Nash and go into full re-building mode.

First thing that popped in my head was the Lakers.  Derek Fisher has been playing awful, they're getting to the point to where we were last year when this board was 50/50 on whether we should shake up the roster or not.  So I wonder if LA was willing to push the button, would they be able to make it happen to get Nash....obviously without giving up Bryant, Gasol, Odom.  I dont think they'd even want to give up Bynum, but I was wondering if some kind of combo of Artest, Fisher, Brown, or others would be enough to get it done.

.....I think it's more than likely that if Nash gets traded, he could end up back in Dallas, but him ending up on the Lakers without them having to give up any of their core 3 or 4 players kinda scares me.
Greg

Re: How possible would it be for the Lakers to pull off a trade for Nash
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »

Offline CrossCL

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
To be honest, I just don't think the Lakers would be willing to give up any of those three guys you mentioned. Fisher takes every single regular season as a break and (as we know from personal experience) turns it way up in the playoffs. Ron Artest almost singlehandedly swung the momentum in the Lakers favor last year(kneeing Ray Allen in the thigh...) and is still one of the premier wing defenders in the game. Shannon is movable but he is a true energy player and floor spacer albeit making some dumb mistakes ala TA. I don't think there's anyone else on the roster that the Suns would really want besides Bynum for rebuilding purposes.

Unless the Mavs deal Kidd back to the suns for Nash(that would be kind of ironic) I dont see that happening either.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Suns wouldn't give up Nash without getting Bynum back in return.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Suns wouldn't give up Nash without getting Bynum back in return.
100% agree and the Lakers aren't giving up Bynum for Nash. If Bynum goes a young superstar is coming back in return.

Just don't see this happening in any way.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
It's not possible.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039
I was just at ESPN's homepage and they were speculating about Phoenix possibly wanting to trade Steve Nash and go into full re-building mode.

First thing that popped in my head was the Lakers.  Derek Fisher has been playing awful, they're getting to the point to where we were last year when this board was 50/50 on whether we should shake up the roster or not.  So I wonder if LA was willing to push the button, would they be able to make it happen to get Nash....obviously without giving up Bryant, Gasol, Odom.  I dont think they'd even want to give up Bynum, but I was wondering if some kind of combo of Artest, Fisher, Brown, or others would be enough to get it done.

.....I think it's more than likely that if Nash gets traded, he could end up back in Dallas, but him ending up on the Lakers without them having to give up any of their core 3 or 4 players kinda scares me.

You're probably just being neurotic.

I don't even know how much he would help the Lakers anyway, because they are usually good offensively, but struggle defensively at times. How well would Nash fit into the triangle?

However, why on Earth would Phoenix trade the face of their franchise, a guy who likes playing for them..... for Ron Artest, Derek Fisher, and Shannon Brown. Or anyone else for that matter on the Lakers, honestly.

Kobe is too old at this point.
We all saw how it worked out when Gasol was lead dog.
Does anyone really want Odom on their team?
And Bynum is just too risky, but he would make the most sense.

The Lakers would be even less deep then they already are, they'd be losing something important (whether defense, size, bench scoring, leadership) to gain an unknown asset.

Terrible idea for LA.

If Nash goes anywhere, it will only be for nice young talent and picks, because no one star will make them any better than Nash can/has.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with others that without Bynum, it's not happening.

I wonder, though, if the Lakers might be tempted to move him.  For instance, Bynum + Brown + 1st for Nash + Lopez + Hill...  

That trade helps the Lakers in the short term, because Nash is a huge upgrade at PG for them.  Lopez would be a good defensive center next to Gasol, and Hill would be a very good fit either off the bench or in the starting lineup for Artest. It would instantly solidify them as a top contender for at least the next two seasons.

Sure, it would stink losing Bynum, but with his sporadic production (and allegedly, effort) and injury history, the Lakers have to be at least wondering if he's the type of superstar that can lead them into the new decade.  If they think he's not, what's the harm in moving him for a legit star now?

Now, I have no idea if the Suns could get better offers, but I think that one is at least a credible one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
I can't sleep at night as a result of these Laker trade possibility threads.  Drives me crazy. 

Bynum is such a gamble for anyone and he is really their only realistic trade bait.  Why would anyone trade for Odom, and why would the Lakers trade Odum and leave themselves with a tenuous frontcourt with the brittle Bynum. Obviously, Gasol is off the table.  That leaves who? Shannon Brown?  Not gonna get them Nash.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Could Phil Jackson's ego handle blowing up the triangle completely? No way Nash would ever run that system.