Author Topic: This year's Slam Dunk Contest (Griffin is in!!)  (Read 9151 times)

Re: This year's Slam Dunk Contest (Griffin is in!!)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
I'm glad this is happening, now I will watch.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i will likely take heat for this and eat crow later....but blake griffin doesnt impress me in a dunk contest.  he is an unbelievable game dunker, but not so much in a contest, imo.

i hope i am wrong and he puts on a show.  i will definitely watch and hopes he pulls something out thats ridiculous. 

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
i will likely take heat for this and eat crow later....but blake griffin doesnt impress me in a dunk contest.  he is an unbelievable game dunker, but not so much in a contest, imo.

i hope i am wrong and he puts on a show.  i will definitely watch and hopes he pulls something out thats ridiculous. 

I have a bit of fear about this too.  But the bar has been dropped so low, I am just happy that we have someone new in there who is actually recognizable, and has highlight dunks in games.  It has become a contest of scrubs the last few years.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
What are the odds that Griffin gets hurt during the dunk contest to keep the clipper curse going?  Im going as high as 65%
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79

Maybe...We'll just have to see. I don't think he will tank as badly as Shannon Brown did, given the expectations that were put on him last contest.

I'm disappointed in Lebron, though. I would have liked to see him go against Griffin.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I would just let Blake Griffin dunk for 30 minutes. Give him the crown and them let him put on a show.

TP, made me laugh. But in all seriousness Stern should consider this. :-\

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
JaVale and Griffin are both great choices.  Jennings has the potential to be interesting, though I don't know why he was chosen.  And Ibaka is a GREAT in game dunker but he is just not the dunk contest type.  So I think that was a bad pick.

They should have given the Clips some extra love and thrown DeAndre Jordan in there.  He has been throwing down almost as much as Griffin this season.  The dunking excitment they bring is about the Clippers only bright spot this season and both are very promising, so it'd be a nice way to throw the Clippers a bone at an LA All-Star week.  ;D

And btw, JaVale McGee's height doesn't really take away from anything at all when he is pulling off dunks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To70JhspeG8
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:54:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Yup, we need 8 players dunking again
thats the way to go
bbut that wont happend again..sad true
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Maybe...We'll just have to see. I don't think he will tank as badly as Shannon Brown did, given the expectations that were put on him last contest.

I'm disappointed in Lebron, though. I would have liked to see him go against Griffin.

Here's him from the All-American contest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPzYqv3H3mE

Not overtly impressive, but I think it shows enough that he should be able to impress.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've got McGee as a dark horse candidate to win.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1714
I hate to say it, but I think Blake will be somewhat disappointing in the dunk contest.  He'll basically be another Dwight Howard - power dunker with ridiculous hops but no real creativity.  The thing that set Dwight Howard apart was the personality - he was a good entertainer.  I haven't seen anything that tells me Blake will be a good entertainer.

Even with all of that said, my dream contest this year would have been Blake Griffin, LeBron James, Rudy Gay and Russell Westbrook.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
what the hell is Brandon Jennings doing in there?

not to mention he is injured smh
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Even with Blake...the NBA dunk contest is a just going to be a major yawn.

Sure the NBA players can do more then just "DUNK" but the NBA Slam Dunk contest can't even come close to this contest held by Nike last summer.

Some of that stuff was so sick...see for yourself.

TP for this video it's friggen sick.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039
I'm pretty disappointed in the crop.

I never thought Blake wouldn't be invited, nor would he decline.

But these other three....ugh. Not that they aren't great dunkers, but because who are they.

I don't want to see the best dunks by random people, I want a dunk contest with the likes of MJ, 'Nique, Kemp, VC, Kobe, McGrady, etc...

I want to see the superstars show everyone what they got. Blake Griffin is a star. The rest are nice players.

LeBron is such a punk. He did the "skills" challenge, but can't give his "fans" a real show like MJ and Kobe have? Maybe it proves the competitiveness of those players and shows that's what he lacks.

I'm still looking forward to the Blake Griffin Show the night before the ASG.

Let's get Ray and Pierce battling it out in the 3PT Shootout!
CELTICS 2024