Author Topic: New NFL Playoffs OT Rules  (Read 3312 times)

New NFL Playoffs OT Rules
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:26:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
I wasn't aware of this being enacted.

It could make for some crazy scenarios.  Or not come up at all.  We shall see.

The leagues new postseason overtime rules are now in effect, meaning a field goal on the first possession of overtime doesn’t end the game. Instead, if the team receiving the overtime kickoff kicks a field goal on the first drive, the other team would have a chance to either tie the game with a field goal (at which point it would be sudden death from there) or win the game with a touchdown. A touchdown or safety at any point in overtime would win the game.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81d72298/article/so-long-sudden-death-playoffs-offer-new-approach-to-ot
Yup

Re: New NFL Playoffs OT Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Someone else must be watching Mike & Mike, (they were just discussing this ;)) ... I hope it happens this weekend ... it's def. and improvement over the old rules. Hopefully it will be successful, and they'll use it in the regular season (in years to come) as well.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup
Someone else must be watching Mike & Mike, (they were just discussing this ;)) ... I hope it happens this weekend ... it's def. and improvement over the old rules. Hopefully it will be successful, and they'll use it in the regular season (in years to come) as well.

Doesn't it seem weird to implement it for the playoffs 1st though?
Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I had no idea they were doing this until I played madden online and it went into overtime.  When the OT began in the game a box came up with the rules (the other guy obviously didn't read them).  Because he got the ball first and marched down to the 25 yard line and had a 2nd down and he kicked the field goal.

Then I got the ball and marched down for a touchdown and won the game. 

I then realized this was going to be the new playoff rules.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like the rule, although I would give the second team a chance at the ball even if the first team scores a TD.  I also think they should enact this in the regular season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yeah, it really does ... you'd think they'd want to test it with the pre-season first, or at least the regular season ... throwing a wrench, (and I don't mean that in a bad way), into the playoffs seems a bit strange.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup

Yeah, it really does ... you'd think they'd want to test it with the pre-season first, or at least the regular season ... throwing a wrench, (and I don't mean that in a bad way), into the playoffs seems a bit strange.

For the preseason they could have even tried out a "mock OT" or two, because who knows if there would even be an OT.  Weeks can go by in the NFL w/o an OT.

I'm not crazy about the instant victory for a TD on the 1st possession either.  Why do it for a TD and not a FG?
Yup

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Agreed. It'll be especially weird if the first time it happens is when the home team kicks the go-ahead field goal

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

For the preseason they could have even tried out a "mock OT" or two, because who knows if there would even be an OT.  Weeks can go by in the NFL w/o an OT.

I'm not crazy about the instant victory for a TD on the 1st possession either.  Why do it for a TD and not a FG?

Yup ... I lean towards Golic's view, in agreeing that there should be an extra quarter/period, like it's done in the NBA ... let the clock decide.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm a fan of just playing an extra ten minute period with fourth quarter timing rules. Just have ties in the regular season after that and then in the playoffs just keep going.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Not by the following logic.

The TV networks do not want the games to run very long into overtime because it cuts into the other game.  Cutting into the other game costs them advertising money. 

TV networks are against anything the lengthens the regular season games.