Author Topic: Lakers blown out by the Grizz at home  (Read 12069 times)

Re: Lakers blown out by the Grizz at home
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
When the playoffs start, the Lakers will be fine.  Artest is a major dissappointment, but Barnes could take his place if need be.  Every year Fisher plays like he is washed up in the regular season and turns it up several notches in the playoffs.

They are adjusting to Bynum taking a bigger role, and Odom taking a step back.

But the main thing, as atzar and Lakersfan33 mentioned, is that Kobe is pretty much ball hogging and not getting Bynum and especially Gasol nearly enough shot attempts.  Gasol should be fed the ball over the course of the game.  He shoots a very high percentage and is a great passer.  Kobe should be taking open shots and then he can do his closer routine as needed.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
But the main thing, as atzar and Lakersfan33 mentioned, is that Kobe is pretty much ball hogging and not getting Bynum and especially Gasol nearly enough shot attempts.  Gasol should be fed the ball over the course of the game.  He shoots a very high percentage and is a great passer.  Kobe should be taking open shots and then he can do his closer routine as needed.

Agreed on this, the thing is they need consistent touches.  You can watch when Kobe tries to take over and it's not holding up anymore and you can see the rest of the team stall out.  In the third quarter Kobe scored a lot at the beginning by dominating the ball and then Memphis went on a huge run, 21-6 or something, all because Kobe slowed and the rest of the team was ice cold.  Memphis had a balanced attack and Lakers looked like they were forcing it.

Lakers games are ugly as of late, I have to say.

And as for Barnes, he is a bench guy and if Barnes is starting or being relied on more and Artest continues to play like this I will be very happy, huge holes at the SF spot for the Lakers.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:43:53 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Lakers drop out of the top 5 record-wise, and their SOS is 29th.

The only positive has been Bynum's return - he went 9pts/ (gm high) 11 rebs with 5 blocks on 50% shooting in just 27 minutes.

We will know a lot more about this team after the next month - none of Phil's previous 3-peat teams were that great in the regular season record-wise

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »

Offline Dr H

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Let's not forget that WE got blown out at home by the Grizzlies too, last year..oh and the loss to the Cavs this year, and the 1 pt loss to Toronto and getting walloped by Detroit a couple days ago. (you can bring in the key injuries, and I'll raise you one saying this team was labeled as having great depth)

Point is anything can happen. Don't forget that we played like crap for almost all of last season including losing to the 2nd? worst team of all time, the Nets. The Lakers will get their mojo back, don't forget last year Kobe did go through a little ball hogging stage until things straightened themselves out and they started playing team basketball.

IMO there is nothing to take out of this loss other than the enjoyment in seeing them get blown out at home.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 10:14:29 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The Lakers will not be coming out of the west this year. That is all.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
The Lakers will not be coming out of the west this year. That is all.

is Crawford retiring before the playoffs, then?

(I wish I was kidding)...

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I have a feeling the Lakers are headed for another mid-season trade (a la 2008) to revamp themselves.  They need another play-maker.

Insert Melo. Bynum is a nice trade piece to build a deal around. Spurs or Lakers still make it to the ship regardless of these regular season losses. Its only one game pre midseason.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I have a feeling the Lakers are headed for another mid-season trade (a la 2008) to revamp themselves.  They need another play-maker.

Insert Melo. Bynum is a nice trade piece to build a deal around. Spurs or Lakers still make it to the ship regardless of these regular season losses. Its only one game pre midseason.

yep I think this is exactly what may happen. And then we have to hope it backfires. Melo is an awful defender and he'll drive Kobe nuts, if its even Melo...they may just surrender and clear the decks soon for Dwight, IF they can see Kobe isn't regaining the step he has lost.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I have a feeling the Lakers are headed for another mid-season trade (a la 2008) to revamp themselves.  They need another play-maker.

yep I think this is exactly what may happen. And then we have to hope it backfires. Melo is an awful defender and he'll drive Kobe nuts, if its even Melo...they may just surrender and clear the decks soon for Dwight, IF they can see Kobe isn't regaining the step he has lost.

I really don't understand how Bynum is that great of a trade piece. He is just coming off an injury and has had an injury riddled career. It would be a MAJOR risk to take on such an injury prone player no matter what the potential. He is one of the most fragile players in the game, and especially being a big man I don't think thats a good sign. Not to mention his contract isn't really friendly either

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
I have a feeling the Lakers are headed for another mid-season trade (a la 2008) to revamp themselves.  They need another play-maker.

I really don't understand how Bynum is that great of a trade piece. He is just coming off an injury and has had an injury riddled career. It would be a MAJOR risk to take on such an injury prone player no matter what the potential. He is one of the most fragile players in the game, and especially being a big man I don't think thats a good sign. Not to mention his contract isn't really friendly either

An injury-riddled Bynum is better than not getting anything for Melo. Would the Lakers do it though? Just not sure.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Let's not forget that WE got blown out at home by the Grizzlies too, last year..oh and the loss to the Cavs this year, and the 1 pt loss to Toronto and getting walloped by Detroit a couple days ago. (you can bring in the key injuries, and I'll raise you one saying this team was labeled as having great depth)

Point is anything can happen. Don't forget that we played like crap for almost all of last season including losing to the 2nd? worst team of all time, the Nets. The Lakers will get their mojo back, don't forget last year Kobe did go through a little ball hogging stage until things straightened themselves out and they started playing team basketball.

IMO there is nothing to take out of this loss other than the enjoyment in seeing them get blown out at home.

I'll bring up key injuries, our best player has been hurt a lot of their year, and say that even the deepest team will be affected by injuries.  We have handled it extremely well all things considered.

And the Det loss was not embarrassing, KG's injury made the rest of the game pointless really.  And the Grizzlies loss was last year so who cares, and maybe the Cavs loss was the only embarrassing one and no loss by a couple points is embrassing, even if it is to a bad team, because things happen and any team can put together a competitive game on any given night.

I'd also remind you LA has had a cakewalk schedule so far.

All that being said I agree with you that the Lakers will right the ship but I don't think we can brush off all these truly awful games as nothing.  There is more there involving Kobe's drop off in play, Artests awful play, the poor ball movement, lack luster effort, and ignoring the post players that can't be all chalked up as nothing.  There has to be something to it. 

And either way, we are a much more impressive team that has, desptie injuries, played a much better season than LA has so far.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:49:55 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

An injury-riddled Bynum is better than not getting anything for Melo. Would the Lakers do it though? Just not sure.

I guess getting anything is better than getting nothing..

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum

They wouldn't without Melo signing the extension.

But - is it only coincidence that his wife's first name is "LA LA"?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:01:48 PM by nba is the worst »

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Perhaps some evidents that the Gasol trade wasn't *that* lopsided?  :D

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Why would Denver get nothing if they don't trade for Bynum?  Aren't there other teams in the running for Melo who would be trading healthy players? 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson