Author Topic: Six Pro Bowl Selections for Pats (Three Starters)  (Read 5572 times)

Re: Six Pro Bowl Selections for Pats (Three Starters)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, but when you think about it is Mankins more deserving this year than Vollmer or Kopen?  Different positions, but it annoys the crud out of me when guys like Pouncey of Pittsburg gets in over Koppen.

Or when guys like Jets get in over our guys. Our guys just beat them 45-3.  Why should a single Jet get in over a single Pat at the same position?  

And Peyton is a fraud this year.  Granted that's nothing new

Pouncey's had a heckuva year.  Kid's only a rookie too.  He's deserving.
It didn't seem that way when the Pats were kicking the Steeler's wazoo around

Pro Bowl is about individual accomplishment, not team accomplishment.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything.  Was Pouncey responsible for PITT's defensive breakdowns?  Was he facing Koppen head to head? 

Game in and game out this season, the kid played extremely well at a very difficult position.  Now he's getting recognized for it.
Well wouldn't that mean that Koppen was responsible for Pitt's defensive breakdowns? But that that Pats defense didn't break down against Pouncey? Right?

You're trying to make something black & white when its not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yeah, but when you think about it is Mankins more deserving this year than Vollmer or Kopen?  Different positions, but it annoys the crud out of me when guys like Pouncey of Pittsburg gets in over Koppen.

Or when guys like Jets get in over our guys. Our guys just beat them 45-3.  Why should a single Jet get in over a single Pat at the same position?  

I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything.  Was Pouncey responsible for PITT's defensive breakdowns?  Was he facing Koppen head to head? 

Game in and game out this season, the kid played extremely well at a very difficult position.  Now he's getting recognized for it.
Dons this is the kind of logic that obviously drives me nuts. It's this whole thing where the Pats have dominated the NFL for a decade, but somehow the individual players weren't ever the best. It sorta just magically happened. The whole was greater than the parts. Somehow 2 + 2 equaled 5.  

At some point one would think "experts" would say "Hey. This center protected the best QB the league ever saw for a decade. He made all the line calls and they practically never lost. Gee. He might just be the best center the decade had."

But it never happens. Not for Bruschi. Not for Brady's favorite targets. Not for any of them. Just Brady and even he usually takes a back seat to Peyton in the eyes of the "experts". It's a joke.

It's like the Pats are TCU or something and the playoffs and Super Bowl are just sorta a coincidence

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Well wouldn't that mean that Koppen was responsible for Pitt's defensive breakdowns? But that that Pats defense didn't break down against Pouncey? Right?

You're trying to make something black & white when its not.
The Pats have been the best team in the league for a decade. That's black and white. I disagree that somehow it's all because of Brady. Or Brady and the kicker.  Which is what the Pro Bowl committee would have us all believe once we use the colors of the rainbow to decide who the best players in the league are.

Yes. You are right. I see it as black and white.

Re: Three Pro Bowl Selections for Pats
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Pro Bowl spots for the Pats:
Tom Brady
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Jerod Mayo
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather

I don't understand the Meriweather selection *at all*, but the other five make a lot of sense.  I love that McCourty made it. 

Wow, I'm shocked by Meriweather too. He was benched for some games wasn't he?

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I definitely see a couple WRs, a couple TEs, a couple RBs, Brandon Spikes and possibly Rob N as more deserving than Merriwhether. And Chung. And maybe Arrington

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Tom Brady
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Jerod Mayo
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather

I don't understand the Meriweather selection *at all*, but the other five make a lot of sense.  I love that McCourty made it. 

Yeah, I am baffled by the Meriweather pick as well. He plays for the top team in the NFL and played in the Pro Bowl last year so I think that earned him a ride to Hawaii again. McCourty was more than deserving and I hope he gets serious consideration for Defensive Rookie of the Year... though its probably going to Suh.

Yeah, it's gotta be Suh.  That kid is a beast, and has had the single biggest impact of any rookie on either side of the ball.
I don't agree. Suh is outstanding no question, but that Lions offense is generally lethal, even through all their injuries. That defense lost quite a few games for them in the 4th quarter, even with what should have been comfortable leads. McCourty has taken guys out of games (where was Calvin Johnson on Thanksgiving?), and has made plays all over the field, he has over 80 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 6 INTs. He's also stuffed some run plays for losses. He does a little bit of everything, especially when you consider he's often 25+ yards away from the ball moments after the snap. For a cover corner, he finds ways to be around the ball. Like Mayo, how is he in on almost every play? He's on pace for about 180 tackles which is 40 more than the most last season, and is the highest total since 1993 when one of the Cowboys had over 220...

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tom Brady
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Jerod Mayo
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather

Yeah, I am baffled by the Meriweather pick as well. He plays for the top team in the NFL and played in the Pro Bowl last year so I think that earned him a ride to Hawaii again. McCourty was more than deserving and I hope he gets serious consideration for Defensive Rookie of the Year... though its probably going to Suh.

Yeah, it's gotta be Suh.  That kid is a beast, and has had the single biggest impact of any rookie on either side of the ball.
I don't agree. Suh is outstanding no question, but that Lions offense is generally lethal, even through all their injuries. That defense lost quite a few games for them in the 4th quarter, even with what should have been comfortable leads. McCourty has taken guys out of games (where was Calvin Johnson on Thanksgiving?), and has made plays all over the field, he has over 80 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 6 INTs. He's also stuffed some run plays for losses. He does a little bit of everything, especially when you consider he's often 25+ yards away from the ball moments after the snap. For a cover corner, he finds ways to be around the ball. Like Mayo, how is he in on almost every play? He's on pace for about 180 tackles which is 40 more than the most last season, and is the highest total since 1993 when one of the Cowboys had over 220...

Its tough to compare since they play such different positions but both have been outstanding rookies.  #1 & #2 on the defensive side of the ball. 

I give the edge to Suh.  I mean 9 sacks for an interior lineman is incredible, nevermind, a rookie DL. Teams have been singling him out in game planner since pretty much Week One.

It's close, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tom Brady
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Jerod Mayo
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather

Suh has 60 tackles (6 for a loss), 9 sacks, and an interception as an interior lineman.  Detroit went from allowing 494 points last season (30.9 per game), to 356 this year (23.7).  That is a *massive* impact.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Tom Brady
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Jerod Mayo
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather

Suh has 60 tackles (6 for a loss), 9 sacks, and an interception as an interior lineman.  Detroit went from allowing 494 points last season (30.9 per game), to 356 this year (23.7).  That is a *massive* impact.

It is a huge impact! But still, they won 5 games. If you looked at how many yards the Pats gave up on D this year, you could say no Patriot should have made the pro bowl on D, but the record definitely is a factor. Suh is going to be a top 5 player at that position for years to come, and I'm sure whoever wins, it will be really close. And how many rookie cornerbacks make the pro bowl?

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I wonder if players voted in Mankins to support the hold out...

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »

Offline wedman8

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Danny Woodhead should have made the team.

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tom Brady
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Jerod Mayo
Devin McCourty
Brandon Meriweather

It is a huge impact! But still, they won 5 games. If you looked at how many yards the Pats gave up on D this year, you could say no Patriot should have made the pro bowl on D, but the record definitely is a factor. Suh is going to be a top 5 player at that position for years to come, and I'm sure whoever wins, it will be really close. And how many rookie cornerbacks make the pro bowl?

They've won 5 games (with one game left), after winning two games last year. 

Not many rookie CBs make the Pro Bowl, but not many rookie DTs do, either.  I mean, arguably Suh is the best DT in the entire NFL as a rookie.  You can't tell me that McCourty has come close to that impact, even as he's been very good.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes