Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 420769 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #810 on: May 17, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Casperian,

That's a great point about Daney's end-game.   At this point, I'm convinced that either two things happen with her (and maybe both)

#1 - She turns heel.  Killing Tyrion would go a long way towards doing that. 

#2 - She doesn't make it to the end.

Actually the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that it will happen.  GRR Martin has already had "bad" characters (Jaimie Lannister for instance) make heroic turns.   It's time for one to turn heel.  She's freed lots of slaves, but butchered thousands of free men in the process and could leave a ton of death in her wake. 

« Reply #811 on: May 17, 2016, 04:40:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
But I'm curious: Why do you think the avatar of R'hllor will turn out to be the main antagonist? Not that I disagree, necessarily, but what makes you think R'hllor is the "evil" deity? After all, the series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire", and it's quasi established that R'hllor's opposing deity is the God of ice and death.

I don't think it'll be pure black and white, but the actions of R'hllor's worshipers seem to indicate A.  R'hllor is real, or at minimum the Fire Priests have access to some seriously legit magic, and B.  He's kind of a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again..  Lot of burning innocent people alive to please him.  And he seems closely linked to Dany what with her fire imagery and immunity.

On the flip side, the White Walkers seem to be closely linked to the "Other" god Melisandre won't name, and have gotten basically 0 non-pure evil characterization.  It would be just like the overall narrative to have the god that appears to be on the side of the "good guys" turn out to be more evil than believed and the god that's only linked to the "bad guys" to be more complex and at least to some degree benevolent.  That's my thinking anyway - no pure protagonist/antagonist, but good motives turn Daenaerys into a negative force and seemingly evil motives on the White Walker side turn out to be more positive in nature.

« Reply #812 on: May 18, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
I don't think Dany hits Westeros this season. 

Seems pretty apparent than the Jon led Wildings and the Littlefinger led Knights of the Vale will team up to overthrow Ramsey and re-take Winterfell before turning attention north of the wall. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #813 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3774
  • Yup
More importantly; why do her clothes burn but not her hair?

And apparently that was not a naked body double.
Yup

« Reply #814 on: May 18, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3774
  • Yup
I want to see Winterfell taken and Ramsey dead.

Don't hate on Ramsey.  He had a rough childhood.  He's just misunderstood.
Yup

« Reply #815 on: May 18, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Actually the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that it will happen.  GRR Martin has already had "bad" characters (Jaimie Lannister for instance) make heroic turns.   It's time for one to turn heel.  She's freed lots of slaves, but butchered thousands of free men in the process and could leave a ton of death in her wake.

Agreed, a heel turn for at least one of the "main" characters will happen. I actually think Arya is another candidate for a turn. She's just way too young to be obsessed with killing people. She has this list of people who she thinks are responsible for her family's tragedy, and when you see her recite that list while falling asleep like other people counting sheep, it comes off as very, very creepy. Most importantly, some of the names on that list have done absolutely nothing wrong, like the Hound, for example, or Ned's executioner, Ser Ilyn Payne, who just did his job. It's not like the royal executioner can disobey his king's orders just because he disagrees with them.

I don't think it'll be pure black and white, but the actions of R'hllor's worshipers seem to indicate A.  R'hllor is real, or at minimum the Fire Priests have access to some seriously legit magic, and B.  He's kind of a ****.  Lot of burning innocent people alive to please him.  And he seems closely linked to Dany what with her fire imagery and immunity.

On the flip side, the White Walkers seem to be closely linked to the "Other" god Melisandre won't name, and have gotten basically 0 non-pure evil characterization.  It would be just like the overall narrative to have the god that appears to be on the side of the "good guys" turn out to be more evil than believed and the god that's only linked to the "bad guys" to be more complex and at least to some degree benevolent.  That's my thinking anyway - no pure protagonist/antagonist, but good motives turn Daenaerys into a negative force and seemingly evil motives on the White Walker side turn out to be more positive in nature.

Yeah, that was my thought process, too, so I'm inclined to agree. The thing is, which of these things are what R'hllor really wants, and which of them are just what fanatic worshippers (Melisandre) think he wants? There's Thoros of Myr, for example, the red priest with the "brotherhood without banners", who's pictured as a decidedly good-natured and compassionate man, but maybe that's just part of the whole "grey vs grey" dynamic.

Anyway, I'm certain at least one God does exist in this universe. For example, if you read the wiki article about the Grey King I posted earlier, it says he took a mermaid as his bride, so his descendants were able to live on land and under the sea, and there are several instances in the series describing people from certain islands as having fish-like features and webbing between their fingers. There's even a man from the Iron Isles with the name "Dagon", like one of the Gods from the Lovecraft universe, which Martin confirmed was intentional.

Hodor
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #816 on: May 18, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

her hair is part of her body, her clothes are not.

« Reply #817 on: May 18, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Arya is going to be sent a mission to kill a family member.  Just my gut instinct.  I suspect it might be Jon, who then kills her, and his sword glows confirming he is the chosen one.

« Reply #818 on: May 18, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Arya is going to be sent a mission to kill a family member.  Just my gut instinct.  I suspect it might be Jon, who then kills her, and his sword glows confirming he is the chosen one.

Oooh, I like that idea. TP
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #819 on: May 18, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

her hair is part of her body, her clothes are not.
that was my thinking as well.  if she's impervious to fire then it would apply to all of her body.

« Reply #820 on: May 18, 2016, 12:27:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

not a fan of that turn.  would rather see Arya carry out her vengeance list.  not much sense going after Jon

« Reply #821 on: May 22, 2016, 01:52:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Listening to Simmons podcast he says he heard this upcoming episode is "an all timer".   I know Chris Ryan and Andy greenwald watch the show before it airs, so I'm guessing her heard it from them.  Can't wait to see it.

« Reply #822 on: May 22, 2016, 01:41:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think if Dany kills any one in her group it will be Jorah and creates light bringer in the process as he loves her and she has love for him. Not going to kill Tyrion. Jorah probably begs her for death because of the Grey scale.

« Reply #823 on: May 22, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

not a fan of that turn.  would rather see Arya carry out her vengeance list.  not much sense going after Jon

Yeah. I agree. I think what is being set up with Arya is that she will never be a faceless man and that she can't give up her identity. I think she will make it back to Westeros and will join in with the Stark cause.

« Reply #824 on: May 22, 2016, 01:54:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Listening to Simmons podcast he says he heard this upcoming episode is "an all timer".   I know Chris Ryan and Andy greenwald watch the show before it airs, so I'm guessing her heard it from them.  Can't wait to see it.

The red priestess Kinvara is supposed to make her appearance tonight. I read some leaked transcript of a conversation between her and Tyrion/Varys that was pretty bad arse.