Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 422305 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1740 on: May 13, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm curious to see how Cersei dies in the books, as it's prophesied that she'll die by the hand of a sibling.

At least The Mountain got an iconic death.  Cersei and the Night King both went out with a whimper unbefitting of their stature.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1741 on: May 13, 2019, 02:37:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
A very simple way the writing could have even made her full on villain turn more believable is something like this.

Last week, instead of losing Rhaegal, they get shot at with the guns and back off, but Euron still turns on the ships and Dany still loses Missindrei.  Dany then has a couple of days of brooding the loss of the Missindrei, then gets rejected by Jon, but she still isn't set completely over the edge.  Then during the battle, Dany on Drogon and Jon on Rhaegal lay waste to the weapons just as Dany did with Drogon.  They then both sit on the walls on their dragons.  The bells ring and then after that, a stray gun (that was missed by Dany/Jon) fires and hits and kills Rhaegal.  In that moment, then Dany just snaps and goes on her Mad Queen rampage.  It just makes far more sense and also makes the dragon destruction of the weapons far more believable, while also taking out the nonsense of how Rhaegal died, thus fixing two episodes almost simultaneously.

I mean it isn't that difficult to craft far more realistic and believable story lines, they just have two nimwit hacks writing the show and they are wholly ill equipped to craft this story without the books as a guideline.

Eh, that's a little too random chance, Dany's arc feels more earned to me if it's not a straw that breaks the back situation, or even an immediate response to provocation at all. She needed to stew on it and then go for it. And it's hard to sell the Scorpions as a legit threat if they just, like, lightly wound a dragon like we'd already seen them do. The execution of Rhaegal's death was worse than the idea.

Just have her lock eyes with Cersei after the bells ring and go straight for her, ignoring the mass civilian casualties - I was pretty sure that's why they played up having all those people in the Red Keep for "safety" last episode. Then branch out to attacking the Lannister military in the streets, including the ones running with civilians. Wildfire caches go off, etc etc and now the whole city's burning.

CLEGANEBOWL!

That's all that mattered last night! All that hype, and we finally got it. Well worth the wait.

I enjoyed the CleganeBowl but it was pretty jarring because one of my last rewatches was the Hound in the inn where he fights a handful of Lannister men and it's just a knockdown brawl that he needs Arya's help to survive. Skip ahead a few years and he's kicking things off by killing about the same number of what should be Queensguard from low ground while barely needing to move. Leveling up baby!

Who'd've thought a few years ago that Game of Thrones would wind up less realistic than the Star Wars prequels on the benefits of high ground?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:54:44 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #1742 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Who is writing this last season, the guy from "In the name of the King?"  JK

« Reply #1743 on: May 13, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really hope Martin puts out the next couple of books soon so some fans can have the closure of the story that they don't seem to be getting from the show.

« Reply #1744 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really hope Martin puts out the next couple of books soon so some fans can have the closure of the story that they don't seem to be getting from the show.

Yeah, I would say that the last couple seasons of the show being so bad is the best thing that could have happened for Martin.  Gives the books a chance to be seen as "what really happened" as opposed to being a more detailed version of the show.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1745 on: May 13, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3065
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm curious to see how Cersei dies in the books, as it's prophesied that she'll die by the hand of a sibling.

At least The Mountain got an iconic death.  Cersei and the Night King both went out with a whimper unbefitting of their stature.

Yep, 100% agreed. Same with Jaime and Varys IMHO. I saw all those deaths happen in the last few episodes and thought, "that's it??"

All that build up in the last like 8-9 years for this...?  ???
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1746 on: May 13, 2019, 09:04:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One more thought on the plot. You can draw a comparison to Star Wars Episode 3 with Dany's heel turn compared to Anakin Skywalker's.  In Star Wars you had great writing, but they couldn't quite pull it off because Hayden Christensen was such a crappy actor.  Here they had the acting talent. Emilia Clark is world class. But she got let down to a degree by weak writing. That all said she still managed to pull it off with a degree of success because of her talent.
Hayden Christensen nailed Anakin though...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1747 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

In the books, I think Cersei dies before Dany even lands in Westeros. I doubt she survives fAegon and the Golden Company.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #1748 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

In the books, I think Cersei dies before Dany even lands in Westeros. I doubt she survives fAegon and the Golden Company.
I don't I think Cersei beats them.  Also wouldn't it be funny if fake Aegon isn't actually fake and he really is Rhaegar and Ellia's son.  Not the prince who was promised but not fake either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1749 on: May 13, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I don't I think Cersei beats them.  Also wouldn't it be funny if fake Aegon isn't actually fake and he really is Rhaegar and Ellia's son.  Not the prince who was promised but not fake either.
Are you saying he'll beat Cersei, or he won't? My reasoning is that in the show, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for the Golden Company to back Cersei at this point, even if she has the gold to pay them (somehow). Everyone hates her, and she's clearly going to lose. But replace Cersei with fAegon,  everything make much more sense. He's a likable figure that freed the peasants from the evil tyrant Cersei, and (supposedly) has a stronger claim to the throne than Dany. I'm thinking it's a good possibility that D and D didn't want to introduce such an important character so late into the story, so they simply replaced his plot with Cersei.

« Reply #1750 on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

Are you saying he'll beat Cersei, or he won't? My reasoning is that in the show, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for the Golden Company to back Cersei at this point, even if she has the gold to pay them (somehow). Everyone hates her, and she's clearly going to lose. But replace Cersei with fAegon,  everything make much more sense. He's a likable figure that freed the peasants from the evil tyrant Cersei, and (supposedly) has a stronger claim to the throne than Dany. I'm thinking it's a good possibility that D and D didn't want to introduce such an important character so late into the story, so they simply replaced his plot with Cersei.
certainly could play out that way, but everything we know about Aegon is geared about him wanting to marry Dany and rule with her, I'm not sure a real conflict would exist between them, now an Aegon vs. Aegon war would be interesting but I can't see that working out from a timing perspective.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1751 on: May 13, 2019, 10:13:38 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

certainly could play out that way, but everything we know about Aegon is geared about him wanting to marry Dany and rule with her, I'm not sure a real conflict would exist between them, now an Aegon vs. Aegon war would be interesting but I can't see that working out from a timing perspective.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because it has been a while, but weren't the Arianne chapters suggesting that she and Aegon were likely going to marry, allying him with Dorne? Plus even if he wants to rule with Dany, I don't think she would be one to share the throne with anyone. Watching Westeros prefer Aegon instead of her could be the thing that pushes Dany over the edge.

« Reply #1752 on: May 14, 2019, 06:21:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Emilia Clark is world class.

She has gotten better but was not very good initially.  I think many over rate her acting because she is attractive.  But you and I definitely have different definitions of what world class is, my friend.

Everyone in the knows that the false Aegon in the books was a fraud.

« Reply #1753 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:34 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Well Jamie did lead her to the place where they died. And it was tyrions plan that brought them there

« Reply #1754 on: May 14, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
A very simple way the writing could have even made her full on villain turn more believable is something like this.

Last week, instead of losing Rhaegal, they get shot at with the guns and back off, but Euron still turns on the ships and Dany still loses Missindrei.  Dany then has a couple of days of brooding the loss of the Missindrei, then gets rejected by Jon, but she still isn't set completely over the edge.  Then during the battle, Dany on Drogon and Jon on Rhaegal lay waste to the weapons just as Dany did with Drogon.  They then both sit on the walls on their dragons.  The bells ring and then after that, a stray gun (that was missed by Dany/Jon) fires and hits and kills Rhaegal.  In that moment, then Dany just snaps and goes on her Mad Queen rampage.  It just makes far more sense and also makes the dragon destruction of the weapons far more believable, while also taking out the nonsense of how Rhaegal died, thus fixing two episodes almost simultaneously.

I mean it isn't that difficult to craft far more realistic and believable story lines, they just have two nimwit hacks writing the show and they are wholly ill equipped to craft this story without the books as a guideline.

Eh, that's a little too random chance, Dany's arc feels more earned to me if it's not a straw that breaks the back situation, or even an immediate response to provocation at all. She needed to stew on it and then go for it. And it's hard to sell the Scorpions as a legit threat if they just, like, lightly wound a dragon like we'd already seen them do. The execution of Rhaegal's death was worse than the idea.

Just have her lock eyes with Cersei after the bells ring and go straight for her, ignoring the mass civilian casualties - I was pretty sure that's why they played up having all those people in the Red Keep for "safety" last episode. Then branch out to attacking the Lannister military in the streets, including the ones running with civilians. Wildfire caches go off, etc etc and now the whole city's burning.

CLEGANEBOWL!

That's all that mattered last night! All that hype, and we finally got it. Well worth the wait.

I enjoyed the CleganeBowl but it was pretty jarring because one of my last rewatches was the Hound in the inn where he fights a handful of Lannister men and it's just a knockdown brawl that he needs Arya's help to survive. Skip ahead a few years and he's kicking things off by killing about the same number of what should be Queensguard from low ground while barely needing to move. Leveling up baby!

Who'd've thought a few years ago that Game of Thrones would wind up less realistic than the Star Wars prequels on the benefits of high ground?

Hound waited his entire life for that moment.

And the guard was terrified.