Author Topic: How does Hollinger still have a job?  (Read 10942 times)

Re: How does Hollinger still have a job?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His system looks at scoring differential not wins and losses. The Heat have beaten up the bad teams they've played by a large margin.
Does anyone else actually agree with this system?  In my opinion scoring differential doesn't mean too much in basketball.

I think in general scoring differential is more important than records in predictions, but obviously there are more factors involved.
Yeah, in this case SoS factor is ridiculous because of the small sample size (and recent games counting for more)

The Rockets have played a tough schedule, and lost most of those games, but because of schedule are rated much too highly. Things will level out to where the rankings are reasonable.

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not one to put much stock into Power Rankings, especially anything from Hollinger, but the guy is just flat out wrong, and his PER system is irrelevant. He's been wrong so many times that you just have to wonder. I obviously have my own "dog" in this fight, but I think he ranks the Celtics 5. I believe that he picked the Cavaliers to win it the last two years. I guess ESPN is different, but from most other lines of work in this world...When you demonstrate that you are clearly and consistently incompetent, you lose your job.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings
So because we're not on top of the pile, Hollinger is an idiot? Heh. Just because you don't like something doesn't necessarily mean it's false.

I would also like to hear your (objective) criteria for clearly and consistently showing incompetence.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
His pic on ESPN bothers me so much I don't like to look at it!

I like reading his power rankings.  Just so I can disagree with them mostly tho ..

Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Rahim Morris, of the Tampa Bay Bucs, said it best.

Stats are for losers!

Wins are the ONLY thing that matter.

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
He has a job because he is disfavoring one marketing (Boston) but favoring 29 other ones
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Stats are for losers!

Meh, that's true for coaches and players. They shouldn't be worried about stats, just wins and losses.

For the rest of us who aren't coaching/playing stats are an important tool. I'll also add that most NBA teams use a ton of stats and advanced video tools to prepare.

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He has a job because he is disfavoring one marketing (Boston) but favoring 29 other ones
Except for 2007-2008 when he loved us the whole year....

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Stats are for losers!

Meh, that's true for coaches and players. They shouldn't be worried about stats, just wins and losses.

For the rest of us who aren't coaching/playing stats are an important tool. I'll also add that most NBA teams use a ton of stats and advanced video tools to prepare.

Well, I'm neither a coach or a player. And I personally, couldn't care less about stats.

According to the "stats", Lebron should already have multiple titles.  Of course, we all know that when the lights are brightest and the games mean the most, he fails time and time again.  Stats just can't reveal this, only sujective observation can.

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
According to the "stats", Lebron should already have multiple titles. 
They really don't say anything like that. They just say he's the best player in the NBA. The best player in the NBA often doesn't win a championship for a given year.

If you don't care about "stats" enough to understand them, its best not to mock them.

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Except for 2007-2008 when he loved us the whole year....

Technically it was his formulas that loved us. But I digress...

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The problem is that I remember Hollinger waiting for like 15 games before rolling out those automated rankings. It is way too early for them to work. The Heat have a .700+ SOS.

It is pointless this early in the season, especially when games played against good teams when they were 0-0 don't help SOS at a point when every game has a big impact.

See, a little thought and understanding and we can see that it is silly to get upset over automated power rankings.

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It is pointless this early in the season, especially when games played against good teams when they were 0-0 don't help SOS at a point when every game has a big impact.

I'm pretty sure SOS is based on opponents' current record, not their record at the time of the game.  Agreed that it's at least 2 weeks to soon to break em out though.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
If you don't care about "stats" enough to understand them, its best not to mock them.

I understand stats quite well actually.  Which is why I dismiss them.

Subjective observation always will trump stats because there just aren't any stats that can account for the intangibles nessecary to be successful in sports.  Until someone can develope a way to measure a man's heart, determinantion, poise under pressure, etc., it will always be this way.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The problem is that I remember Hollinger waiting for like 15 games before rolling out those automated rankings. It is way too early for them to work. The Heat have a .700+ SOS.

See, a little thought and understanding and we can see that it is silly to get upset over automated power rankings.
Yeah I thought he waited longer in past years too. My guess is that the editors wanted the hits his rankings would generate, especially when the Heat were number 1 after two weeks.

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 04:46:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I understand stats quite well actually.  Which is why I dismiss them.
I highly doubt this when you say things like "stats say LeBron should have won already"