Author Topic: Would L.A. trade Bynum?  (Read 6629 times)

Re: Would L.A. trade Bynum?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Some team would give the Lakers an oversized offer for a young seven footer like Bynum, I'm sure.

I think Bynum benefits quite a lot from having such talented players around him, and he's obviously injured a lot of the time.  Put him on a bad team and he's not that great.

Josh Smith is a much more valuable player than Bynum.  It would totally suck if the Lakers got a hold of him.
I couldn't disagree more.

The Lakers know the risk in keeping Bynum, but he's got ridiculous upside, and even shoots fts well.

Josh just isn't an impact player, especially defensively

Josh Smith is an All-Star caliber player who is consistently healthy.  He posts good numbers in blocks and steals, and he's also one of the most athletic players in the entire league. 

I'd much rather have him for a full season / playoffs than Bynum for part of a season and then 50-70% in the playoffs.

Without Bynum, the Lakers play Odom and Gasol a lot at center.  Both players are more than capable of playing that position, especially Gasol.  Pau is probably the 2nd or 3rd best center in the league, and that's not even his natural position. 

The Lakers are a lot more versatile offensively with Pau at center and Odom at PF, and Josh Smith would make them scary on defense, as well, just in a different way than when they have Bynum at C.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
They would need to get another true 7 footer who is good defensively and has some skills on the offensive end. Oh yeah and is also under 25. I dont think they do it unless they want an equally risky Greg Oden in return

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I would never trade Bynum for Josh Smith. Sure, he's a good player, but won't have the impact of Bynum. Bynum can alter shots just with his presence - No need to even go for the block every time. Mitch has made it clear that he's not making ANY changes to the Lakers team this year (except for maybe Sasha/Luke, if someone would take him).

Also, Bynum would easily be playing now if his doctor chose to just clean up the meniscus (which is what Branden Roy had). He elected to repair it at the time of surgery, which has a longer recovery time, BUT is much better for the future, hence limiting his future injuries (on that particular knee, at least).

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Some team would give the Lakers an oversized offer for a young seven footer like Bynum, I'm sure.

I think Bynum benefits quite a lot from having such talented players around him, and he's obviously injured a lot of the time.  Put him on a bad team and he's not that great.

Josh Smith is a much more valuable player than Bynum.  It would totally suck if the Lakers got a hold of him.

The Lakers know the risk in keeping Bynum, but he's got ridiculous upside, and even shoots fts well.

Josh Smith is an All-Star caliber player who is consistently healthy.  He posts good numbers in blocks and steals, and he's also one of the most athletic players in the entire league. 

I'd much rather have him for a full season / playoffs than Bynum for part of a season and then 50-70% in the playoffs.

Without Bynum, the Lakers play Odom and Gasol a lot at center.  Both players are more than capable of playing that position, especially Gasol.  Pau is probably the 2nd or 3rd best center in the league, and that's not even his natural position. 

The Lakers are a lot more versatile offensively with Pau at center and Odom at PF, and Josh Smith would make them scary on defense, as well, just in a different way than when they have Bynum at C.

As has been shown in the last three seasons, a 50-70% Bynum is a Finals difference maker - at age 23.

Josh doesn't get out of the 2nd round...

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

As has been shown in the last three seasons, a 50-70% Bynum is a Finals difference maker - at age 23.

Do you think the Hawks would be NBA champs if they had Bynum and the Lakers 2nd round losers with Smith?  Otherwise this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  KG never did much before he came here either.

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

If you're willing to bet on Bynum being effective for the next 5 years than I'm with you. Don't see it happening though. The guy hasn't been healthy for a full season, he is the most overpaid player in the league, and he is probably the most fragile player in the league. He played well last playoffs but he looked like an old veteran playing in his last finals ever, not a 23 year old who is supposed to be entering his prime

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
If you're willing to bet on Bynum being effective for the next 5 years than I'm with you. Don't see it happening though. The guy hasn't been healthy for a full season, he is the most overpaid player in the league, and he is probably the most fragile player in the league. He played well last playoffs but he looked like an old veteran playing in his last finals ever, not a 23 year old who is supposed to be entering his prime

He played 82 games at age 19 in '06-'07.

Most overpaid? - He's been instrumental in 2 titles, so that's debateable. Agree he's in the top 10 though.

Oden is clearly more fragile.

And to say a guy who had the heart to play through the entire playoffs with a bum knee that was drained twice "looked like an old veteran playing in his last finals ever"?

I disagree.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:32:38 PM by nba is the worst »

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

He played 82 games at age 19 in '06-'07.

Most overpaid? - He's been instrumental in 2 titles, so that's debateable. Agree he's in the top 10 though.

Oden is clearly more fragile.

And to say a guy who had the heart to play through the entire playoffs with a bum knee that was drained twice "looked like an old veteran playing in his last finals ever"?

I disagree.
[/quote]

Ok well we are comparing 2 extremely fragile players, odds are they are going to have injury riddled careers.

Instrumental in 2 titles? That has to be a joke. I'll give you last year where he put up 8 points and 7 rebounds a game.

The year before? 6.3 point 3.7 rebounds on 45 percent shooting with 17 minutes a game. You can't say he was instrumental in that championship no matter how you slice it.