Author Topic: Rockets sign Dampier.  (Read 3513 times)

Rockets sign Dampier.
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 29
This is great news. Best believe if the heat continue to get punked in the paint they would try and sign him. He was the best big man left on the market and he's gone. Thanks Houston.

Re: Rockets sign Dampier.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Source?

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
NM, http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5741924, ESPN has it.

I wonder if Miller is hurting?

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I would have liked to have seen him join a team that would have given him a larger role.

Surprised Dampier didn't have more suitors.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:34 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
This is great news. Best believe if the heat continue to get punked in the paint they would try and sign him. He was the best big man left on the market and he's gone. Thanks Houston.

I don't know, you'd think Howard and Lopez would have been - along with the Lakers and Celtics - the best chance at eating up that small frontline. But they didn't, they both had their worst games of the season (albeit a very small sample size).

I haven't watched any Heat game since the opener, but are teams even going inside? Are they even getting the opportunity? The Magic have a good PG and a very good C and still couldn't do much.

They are holding their own on the boards too.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:38 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I don't know, you'd think Howard and Lopez would have been - along with the Lakers and Celtics - the best chance at eating up that small frontline. But they didn't, they both had their worst games of the season (albeit a very small sample size).

I haven't watched any Heat game since the opener, but are teams even going inside? Are they even getting the opportunity? The Magic have a good PG and a very good C and still couldn't do much.

The Magic did force the Heat to take all outside shots.  LeBron had no dunks for one of the first games in a long time.  The Heat simply got really hot shooting from outside and their stars made a lot of long 2 pointers.  The Magic could easily have beaten the Heat in that game if their own outside shots had fallen and the Heat's shots hadn't.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75

The Magic did force the Heat to take all outside shots.  LeBron had no dunks for one of the first games in a long time.  The Heat simply got really hot shooting from outside and their stars made a lot of long 2 pointers.  The Magic could easily have beaten the Heat in that game if their own outside shots had fallen and the Heat's shots hadn't.
The Magic's defensive strategy played right into the heat's strengths.

They overpursued constantly, cheating off the guys on the weakside, so that with one or two quick passes, Jones, House, Arroyo and LBJ were wide open.

And SVG didn't adjust at all - nor (with Lewis shooting 0-7) did he try Ryan Anderson (12 pts on 5-8 shooting) until the heat were up 20 in the 3rd.

Give credit to the heat's defense - they single covered the offensively-improved dwight (it appears that a week with Hakeem did more for his game than years with Ewing), and smothered the perimeter VERY effectively.

I think it was similar to the Cavs win over the c's in that it was the home opener vs their same-state rival, and with the loss to the celtics, a much-needed statement game win.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm not sure the Magic of the defenders to single cover both Wade/James.

I'll be interested to see how they play each other the next time they match up.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Orlando is a good but flawed team that can be exposed.  I might Dwight is dunk or miss.  If you have cover him you have a really good chance at beating them.  Orlando is a worse team without Turkolu I think. 

If the HEAT bang down their mid range shots and that is not a strength of LBJ they will be tough to beat.   LBJ was hitting this game but usually his FG % runs a little low for a global superstar and is vastly inflated by dunks.  But if he is hitting them it could be a long night for any team.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
The Rockets have decided not to sign Eric Dampier

Less than two weeks after they agreed on a contract, the Rockets and free-agent center Erick Dampier came to a very different agreement Sunday.

The Rockets will not sign Dampier as planned, with the Rockets’ stumbling start making the short-term move no longer appealing to the team or the NBA veteran.

The Rockets had reached an agreement with Dampier, 35, on a one-year deal Oct. 29, pending a move to clear a roster spot, most likely by trading or releasing second-year guard Jermaine Taylor who had not played this season.

But Sunday, the Rockets told Taylor, 23, they would not move him because they no longer planned to sign Dampier, Taylor’s agent Michael Whitaker said.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey declined to comment.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7283892.html

Bad decision by Houston. They needed a defensive anchor and strong rebounder with Yao Ming only playing 22 minutes a night. Going to be a lot tougher to turn around that weak defense now.

Meanwhile, Dampier is still searching for a home.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Less than two weeks after they agreed on a contract, the Rockets and free-agent center Erick Dampier came to a very different agreement Sunday.

The Rockets will not sign Dampier as planned, with the Rockets’ stumbling start making the short-term move no longer appealing to the team or the NBA veteran.

The Rockets had reached an agreement with Dampier, 35, on a one-year deal Oct. 29, pending a move to clear a roster spot, most likely by trading or releasing second-year guard Jermaine Taylor who had not played this season.

But Sunday, the Rockets told Taylor, 23, they would not move him because they no longer planned to sign Dampier, Taylor’s agent Michael Whitaker said.

Bad decision by Houston. They needed a defensive anchor and strong rebounder with Yao Ming only playing 22 minutes a night. Going to be a lot tougher to turn around that weak defense now.

Hell he's old, a big man, add him to the list let's get Dampier lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 06:51:33 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Blazers might go after him. They need another big.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:32 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Hell he's old, a big man, add him to the list let's get Dampier lol

With JO's recent "procedure" and Shaq banged up it might not be such a bad idea.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Interesting - this makes 2 teams that were going to sign him changing their minds.

Something tells me this is a matter of more than just $