Author Topic: inconsistency with new techincal foul rule  (Read 6281 times)

Re: inconsistency with new techincal foul rule
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
If they called it consistently Lebron would be out of every game in the first quarter.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Just read the thread title and decided to post so forgive me if I'm duplicating some elses thoughts.

Reffing in general is inconsistent for many different calls in the game of basketball because it is all about quick judgment. The only consistency I expect from referee's is for them to be consistently wrong (yes I hate all refs regardless of level).

It's inconsistent because the officials apply different rules to different players.

It's not complicated.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If they called it consistently Lebron would be out of every game in the first quarter.

Wade had more than one "punch the air and cuss" moment too.  He didn't look at the refs while he did it, but neither did Nate.

I usually don't like to pile on the refs, because I think a lot of it is just biased fan perception, but the double standard last night was pretty frustrating.

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Call a tech.when Lebron throws the powder into the air,it must be gagging some of the media people sitting nearby.I always felt it was dumb and rude to do it,especially the(area)where he does it from...and you to D.Howard.IMO

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Not surprised this is happening, the refs were already as inconsistent as they come with normal calls.

If the Celtics were treated fairly we'd be a 72 win team.

If the Celtics were given calls like the Heat and the Lakers, I could only imagine.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Wade had more than one "punch the air and cuss" moment too.  He didn't look at the refs while he did it, but neither did Nate.

I usually don't like to pile on the refs, because I think a lot of it is just biased fan perception, but the double standard last night was pretty frustrating.

Mentioned this in the other thread floating around about this, but KG did the exact same thing last night, looking at the ref, and didn't a tech.

I think there is a double standard, but it's a double standard of stars compared to role players as opposed to one team vs. the other.

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

yup...tp.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
From what I've seen, the problem with the new tech rule is that it's becoming just like the moving screen call - an arbitrary foul called at random points in the game for no discernable reason.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I can not believe the double-standard allowed by the NBA officials when it comes to techs ... LeBron was running his fat mouth the entire 4th quarter, (especially after the offensive foul call), and yet Nate gets a T for what he did?!? It's absurd and sickening ... period.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Super duper stars are put on the no technical list. If refs followed the technical rule to the way its written, LeBron should be getting a T after every play.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
I can not believe the double-standard allowed by the NBA officials when it comes to techs ... LeBron was running his fat mouth the entire 4th quarter, (especially after the offensive foul call), and yet Nate gets a T for what he did?!? It's absurd and sickening ... period.

Yes, this is absolutely true. They showed Nate turn around and look sad and walk away and lift his hands like "How could I have done that" and called a T on him.

Lebron about went nuts when he got called for the moving screen and NOTHING!

The Nate T was sickening enough, but then when Lebron acted like that and got NOTHING! That was just dead wrong.
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Mentioned this in the other thread floating around about this, but KG did the exact same thing last night, looking at the ref, and didn't a tech.

I think there is a double standard, but it's a double standard of stars compared to role players as opposed to one team vs. the other.

Interesting - didn't catch KG doing that, but it doesn't surprise me. 

I agree with the star/role player standard; I didn't think Nate got T'ed because he was a Celtic, I think he got T'ed because he was a bench guy and the refs wanted to send a message without messing with a star.  Of course I also thought they'd look for a Heat scrub for a makeup T, and that didn't happen.

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can believe that a Heat scrubs didn't present much of an opportunity.  The best chance was probably when House was complaining he was hit after the shot on that three he nailed when Nate Robinson (I believe) had to move inward and came flying through the air to contest House's shot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My theory is that the refs are going to give one (or two) of these techs early in these marquee games, in order to send a message.  In order to do that, they will choose a roleplayer (don't want to pile up techs on stars, in case they approach the limit later in season), on the visiting team (less backlash from fans), and make them the martyr for the night. 

I don't know whether it will work or not, but it is certainly going to give the players association a strong case, if they want to sue the league for the fines they are handing out based on the whims of the refs.

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »

Offline GreenBlood23

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

Yes, this is absolutely true. They showed Nate turn around and look sad and walk away and lift his hands like "How could I have done that" and called a T on him.

Lebron about went nuts when he got called for the moving screen and NOTHING!

The Nate T was sickening enough, but then when Lebron acted like that and got NOTHING! That was just dead wrong.

Agree. Hated that Nate Tech, James was complaining and jumping around like a monkey all game long for almost every call against him and gets nothing.

I guess refs like monkeys more than donkeys.