Author Topic: Game 1 minutes  (Read 6779 times)

Re: Game 1 minutes
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The playoff atmosphere is the biggest reason, as others have noted.  I also think that Jermaine O'Neal's readiness (from a health and knowledge standpoint) and West's absence played a part.  Doc clearly had no trust in Wafer.  Add West to the equation, and you could probably knock 10 mpg off Paul and Ray's combined minutes.  Add JO at full speed and you could probably knock 5 off of KG.  
I doubt that, KG only played 35 minutes. That's right around where he should be all year.

Plus Jermaine is really a C at this point in his career.

Really?  He averaged 32.8 mpg his first year here, 31.1 mpg his second year, and 29.9 mpg last year.  I can't imagine why with a) his history of injuries and b) all the depth in the front court, Doc would play him more than 30 mpg on average.  
Do you really feel 35 minutes is all that different from 32 minutes? I don't.

If KG is really healthy he needs to be playing 32 minutes a game.

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The playoff atmosphere is the biggest reason, as others have noted.  I also think that Jermaine O'Neal's readiness (from a health and knowledge standpoint) and West's absence played a part.  Doc clearly had no trust in Wafer.  Add West to the equation, and you could probably knock 10 mpg off Paul and Ray's combined minutes.  Add JO at full speed and you could probably knock 5 off of KG.  
I doubt that, KG only played 35 minutes. That's right around where he should be all year.

Really?  He averaged 32.8 mpg his first year here, 31.1 mpg his second year, and 29.9 mpg last year.  I can't imagine why with a) his history of injuries and b) all the depth in the front court, Doc would play him more than 30 mpg on average.  

Well, this is getting a little silly now.  You're telling me that there's no difference between 35 and 32 mpg, but you felt the need to correct my assertion that KG was going to play 30 mpg.  Can't we then say 32 and 30 mpg are the same thing?

Furthermore, KG hasn't played 32 mpg since his first season here.  He played 31 two years ago and a shade under 30 last year.  I don't see why with another year on his body Doc is all of the sudden going to start playing him extra minutes. 

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Well, this is getting a little silly now.  You're telling me that there's no difference between 35 and 32 mpg, but you felt the need to correct my assertion that KG was going to play 30 mpg.  Can't we then say 32 and 30 mpg are the same thing?

Furthermore, KG hasn't played 32 mpg since his first season here.  He played 31 two years ago and a shade under 30 last year.  I don't see why with another year on his body Doc is all of the sudden going to start playing him extra minutes. 

I'm saying that in the first game of the season against one of the other top teams in the east why shouldn't he play 35 minutes? Is that really some sort of huge gaffe by Doc?

And I stand by my assertion that KG should be playing 32 minutes a game if he's healthy. He played 33 in 07-08 (skewwed by the many blowouts btw) and 31 and 30 when he was ailing. He's older but if he's healthy he should be getting at least that much burn.