Author Topic: Best Athlete Ever: Kelly Slater?  (Read 14462 times)

Best Athlete Ever: Kelly Slater?
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:07:25 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Re: Best Athlete Ever: Kelly Slater?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
There was a good book excerpt in Sports Illustrated a couple weeks ago about Kelly Slater and the "100 foot wave" myth.  Great read.  Surfers are certainly an interesting and brave bunch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
There was a good book excerpt in Sports Illustrated a couple weeks ago about Kelly Slater and the "100 foot wave" myth.  Great read.  Surfers are certainly an interesting and brave bunch.

I think we'll see someone catch a 100' wave before long.  The big wave guys all know which offshore reefs can produce them, its just a matter of getting that perfect storm.

When it comes to big water heroics, no one compares to Laird:
http://www.seattlepi.com/othersports/342446_page2fil06.html

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
10 world titles?

Give me Russell's 11 NBA Championships, two NCAA titles, and Olympic gold medal. 

Or, Gretzky, with *eight* consecutive MVPs (nine total), four championships, and the holder of over 60 NHL records when he retired.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
lance
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
As the article itself points out: there are judges. Therefore championship tallies as proof that an athlete in a niche sport is the greatest athlete ever must be taken with a huge block of salt.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
As the article itself points out: there are judges. Therefore championship tallies as proof that an athlete in a niche sport is the greatest athlete ever must be taken with a huge block of salt.

True.  I think with Slater though, even when he was 'retired' for a bit, he was still the standout in his sport.  To be the single dominate athlete in your sport for two consecutive decades, is quite a rare feat.  

But yeah, niche sport, shifting judging criteria, etc etc makes it difficult to compare with mainstream athletes.  
I've forever argued with my friends that NBA players were the worlds greatest athletes (genetic lottery winners, marathon seasons, speed/agility/reaction, etc etc) but I thought this article was kind of thought provoking from a 'length of time at the top' standpoint.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't know squat about surfing but what exactly are surfers judged on?  How the exit the pipe?  Longevity in the pipe? 

I know from a physical standpoint, that sport really tests the human limits but I don't know the first thing about "competitive surfing".

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
That was Laird Hamilton.  Two different kinds of surfing.  Hamilton just looks for the enormous waves, Slater does tricks on smaller ones.  I just reserved the entire book at the Library.  It's called The Wave.  The excerpt made the book look awesome.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
That was Laird Hamilton.  Two different kinds of surfing.  Hamilton just looks for the enormous waves, Slater does tricks on smaller ones.  I just reserved the entire book at the Library.  It's called The Wave.  The excerpt made the book look awesome.

Ah...thanks for the correction.  Yeah, I totally agree that the excerpt was amazing. 

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »

Offline hawaii_celtics_fan

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Kelly Slater and Laird Hamilton are both regarded as two surfers who are without peer.  The main difference is not with wave size because both are able to ride giant waves, it's that Slater competes (nine world titles) and Laird does not compete.

Here is Slater, winner the most prestigious big wave contest on the planet (The Eddie) for 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnH7KEQY_kE&feature=related

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 02:03:56 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have to agree. They are typically big fish in small ponds.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Considering only a small % of kids growing up in America have the opportunity to surf on a regular basis, and of those small % most of them do it for recreation and not to "beat" anyone (whereas a competitive but fun 5 on 5 game of bball is still competition), and I don't think you can consider Kelly Slater or any surfer the greatest athlete.

No-one is going to question that what he has done is extremely dominant in a very physically demanding sport.  But as was stated here, he is a big fish in a small pond.  I wouldn't even consider him top 20 when you factor in olympic athletes.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I don't know squat about surfing but what exactly are surfers judged on?  How the exit the pipe?  Longevity in the pipe?  

I know from a physical standpoint, that sport really tests the human limits but I don't know the first thing about "competitive surfing".

Time on wave helps but its most about the degree of dificult on tricks, the wave selection and use of the wave.

as an ex bodyboarder frustraded surfer wannabe ( ear otitis)
watching most of friends surf almost everyday and have to
keep myself skating only.and having some of the best beaches in all Central America, most of us salvadoreans knows somethign about this.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
In this one M Perla one of my best friends

I respect surf as a demanding activity yet i refuse myself to consider a sport. as much as i attended a lot of tournaments

Nice to be back!