Author Topic: 2010 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 47181 times)

2010 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Southeast Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================

Denver Nuggets: Pending
Utah Jazz: Pending
Portland Trailblazers: Pending
Oklahoma City Thunder: Pending
Minnesota Timberwolves: Pending

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: 2010 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
(we apologize this might not have the same pizzaz folks are used to from us... I just started teaching a class in addition to my 9-to-5; We'll probably be away from the computer all day at training but will try to respond at lunch to questions. Ubuntu, Y'all!).

Introducing youuuuuuuuuuuuuur
2010-2011 DENVER NUGGETZS!

(As a graphic designer we're honored to be GM'ing the Nuggets -- who, If nothing else, has always had the strongest logos in the league!)

1. Roster

PG - Russell Westbrook / Steve Blake / Daniel Gibson
SG - Marcus Thornton / Ronnie Brewer
SF - Trevor Ariza / Josh Childress
PF - Taj Gibson / Darrell Arthur / James Singleton
C - Tim Duncan / Darko Milicic / Aaron Gray

Coach - Larry Brown

Minutes:

PG - Westbrook (32)  Steve Blake (18)
SG - Thornton (24) R.Brewer (10)
SF - Ariza (30) Childress (30)
PF - Gibson (26)  Arthur (12) Singleton (10)
C -  Duncan (28) Milicic (20)

5 mins at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters will feature a full-court trapping lineup of:
Westbrook/R. Brewer/Ariza/Singleton/T. Gibson followed by a substitution of Blake/Childress/Duncan.

2. Roster Breakdown

---------------
THE STARTERS
---------------

Russell Westbrook, 6-3, 21 years old
16.1 ppg, 8.0 apg, 4.9 rpg, 1.3 stl, 2.4 ast/to ratio in 34.3 mpg

Westbrook busted out this season - especially in the playoffs where he kicked his averages up to 20.5/6/6 while be guarded in large stretches by Kobe Bryant. WB averaged more assists than Derrick Rose and more rebounds than Rondo or D.Wade (two of the great rebounding guards in the NBA). He showed he's comfortable playing Robin to a superstar's Batman (Durant in real life; Duncan on the Nuggets).

He's also a very good on the ball defender -- something a lot of our players have in common. He'll usually draw the tougher defensive assignment when on the floor with Marcus Thornton.

Marcus Thornton, 6-4, 22 years old
14.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.6 3pts (37.4%), 55.0 TS%, 0.8 stl in 25.6 mpg

Thornton is the team's designated outside shooter/scorer (along with Trevor Ariza). A terrific shooter in college who, to THE Walker Wiggle's delight, has kept in up in the pro's Thornton will help spread the floor to give Tim Duncan room to work and create in the paint.

Trevor Ariza, 6-8, 24 years old
14.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.8 stl, 0.6 blk, 1.9 3pt (33.4%), 48.8% TS% in 36.5 mpg

One of the many excellent defenders on the Nuggets, Ariza is an underated all-around player (compare his numbers last year to guys like Caron Butler & Paul Pierce). His role on this team is similar to on HOU and LAL --- defend, shoot, slash and do a bit of everything. Also brings championship experience to echo Duncan's sage words.

Taj Gibson, 6-9, 24 years old
9.0 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 0.6 spg in 26.9 mpg

Gibson's job is to do the dirty work, making it easier for Duncan to lead this team to a title. Flourished as a rookie in Chicago. In just his 2nd season, Gibson becomes one of the better bigs Duncan's played alongside since David Robinson

Gibson, like Westbrook, will usually draw the tougher low-post defensive assignment in an attempt to keep Duncan fresh for the playoffs

Tim Duncan, 6-11, 33 years old
17.9 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.5 bpg, 0.6 spg, in 31.3 mpg (+ 4 championship rings) 

Duncan is the heart and soul of this team. He's not the same dominant force that he was throughout the 2000s, but is still an elite player --- and on this team is surrounded by good, young talent that has shown a willingness to follow a star leader (Durant, Bryant, Rose, CP3). Duncan wants to go out on top and sees this as his best chance.

---------------
THE BENCH
---------------

Josh Childress -- 6th man/spot starter -- (career) 11.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.0 stl, 0.5 bpg, 52.2 FG% in 31.3 mpg

Childress is our 6th man -- he's versatile and can play both the 2 and the 3. His size and length will give other wings problems.

Steve Blake -- backup PG -- 7.3 ppg, 4.8 apg, 2.3 rpg, 1.5 3pts (39.5%) in 27 mpg; 3.0 asst/to ratio.

Blake has started for succesful teams but would be an elite backup PG. Careful with the ball and able to get teammates good looks. His outside shooting means he'll play some alongside Westbrook and is a nice guy to pair with Duncan and Thornton throughout the game. at 29 years old Blake is the second oldest Nugget(!)

Darko Milicic -- backup C -- 6.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.1 bpg, 0.7 spg in 21.4 mpg

Milicic is still only 24 years old and seems to be finally settling into a niche as a solid backup big man & defender. Like Nesterovic and Oberto, Milicic should benefit from playing alongside a great passing big like Duncan while taking some of the defensive pressure off him. Milicic could start against very big front lines like Utah (Yao + Pau Gasol) in place of Gibson.

Ronnie Brewer -- backup SG -- 8.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.6 spg in 30 mpg

Brewer joins Westbrook, Ariza, Gibson, Duncan and Milicic as above-average defenders. In fact Brewer is one of the better defensive swingmen. He's a decent shooter despite horrible mechanics (he and Childress will drive guys like Duncan crazy). He may pull a spot start against teams with a guy like Kobe or Wade at the 2-spot.

Darrell Arthur -- backup PF -- 4.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.4 bpg in 14 mpg
James Singleton -- pressing PF -- 6.1 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.1 bpg in 23.9 mpg (in 32 gms w/ WAS)

Arthur recovered from knee surgery to put up very solid numbers as Zach Randolph's backup in MEM. He'll play a very similar bulldog role in DEN and brings. Brings some young veteran leadership as a member of Kansas' national championship team.

Singleton is a change of pace PF -- an all-out hustle guy like Brandon Bass, Leon Powe, etc. He'll play 10 min/gm (and maybe more based on matchups) with our pressing lineup. Much was made of Singleton's role in bringing together the WAS locker room when he came over in the Josh Howard/Caron Butler trade.

---------------
DEEP BENCH
---------------

Daniel Gibson -- another shooter off the bench to help stretch the floor and a young guy with Finals experience. Made 1.3 3pts/gm in 56 games (19 mpg) with CLE and shot a blistering 47.7% on those long range shots.

Aaron Gray -- a solid, if unspectacular, 6th big man with 6 fouls and a decent knack for rebounding for when we go up against bigger teams.

3. Draft Philosophy

Each year in the CelticsBlog draft we've built to win now. This year we did that with building around Duncan but surrounded him with very good, deep young talent.

Our draft philosophy this year starting with the #20 pick was to consistently take the best player available.

After trading 1.20 (and 8.20, 9.5) to CHI for 2.30, 3.30 and 5.30 we decided to either (a) build a very deep team or (b) draft a deep team and try and package some of that depth for a top-15 player. We consistently traded down and at one point had four 6th rounders (having already drafted a starting 5 of Westbrook/Arenas/Deng/Millsap/Camby)

We took a gamble on Gilbert Arenas with the 4.28 pick but felt comfortable doing so with solid guys like Camby, Deng and Westbrook around him.

4. Best/Worst moves

In addition to the deal with CHI we made two other major trades:

DEN sends Gilbert Arenas, Luol Deng, Marcus Camby, Paul Millsap
DAL sends Tim Duncan, Trevor Ariza, Taj Gibson, Rasual Butler

This was our best deal and turned us from a 6th or 7th seed to a possible title contender IMO. It also took roughly 30 PMs and 3 weeks to finalize.

DEN sends Terrance Williams, Drew Gooden
LAL sends Marcus Thornton, #13.12 (D.Gibson)

This was our toughest decision.... After trading for Duncan and losing Arenas (and R. Butler for Blake) our team needed some outside shooting and scoring from the 2 spot. I think Terrance Williams is going to be a borderline all-star eventually and Gooden is an underrated PF (mostly for his mental lapses) and plus-rebounder. Thornton showed an NBA-level ability to score even when he was the primary offensive threat (along with Collison) when CP3 went out. This move came down to fit and the fact that we had Ariza/Childress and Gibson/Duncan/Milicic meant that we could overpay a little to fill a need. I had originally thought I might be able to go after Ray Allen but that got spoiled when he was moved to the MightyAngryPickleCrotorDelonteNatsWhatevers.

Worst move was probably drafting Paul Millsap -- not because he's not a good player but at 3.20 it was about a half-round earlier than he should have gone, IMO. I was all set to pick Troy Murphy to play alongside Marcus Camby but stupid Lucky17 swooped in and took him. I'll admit to not being prepared with a backup plan and reached a little to fill a need (PF). I figured if nothing else Millsap is a tough **** and respected so he'd have trade value.

5. Outlook for the Season

WIth Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown at the helm insisting on this team "doing this the right way" and Duncan, Westbrook and Blake leading on the floor, we think the Nuggetszzz can make a legit run at the title. Brown took the Clippers and Bobcats to their first playoffs in decades and hasn't had an elite player like Duncan since coaching Allen Iverson to the Finals in 2001.

Defense wins championships and we think we're among the best 1-10 defensively in the CelticsBlog draft.

I haven't surveyed the whole West Confereence but we're confident that we're the best team in the NW Division. Utah has a great frontline but (a) Yao/Gasol/B.Lopez will be matched by Duncan/T.Gibson/Milicic which is a very good matchup (b) our depth (esp. defenisvely) is superior to UTA and (c) we think Westbrook will eat Calderon alive and punish UTA once he gets into the lane (along with Duncan's passing).

An injury to Duncan would derail things but i suspect that's true for most teams of their #1 guy. We think we could legitimately absorb a sesaon-long injury anywhere else with Blake (PG), Childress (SG or SF), Milicic (C or PF (with Duncan sliding over) capable of starting on playoff teams.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:05:40 AM by Gainesville Celtic »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:38 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Denver:

Do you have concerns that your starting Point guard, shooting guard and small forward have a clear preference to run, run, run even though your team's best player excels in a half court offense?

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Denver:

Do you have concerns that your starting Point guard, shooting guard and small forward have a clear preference to run, run, run even though your team's best player excels in a half court offense?

maybe just a tiny bit, but not really.... we look to (what was it the 88 Celtics?) that had Shaw/Lewis/Dee Brown + the Big 3 and what they did in fitting together a running unit + one of the best frontcourts ever.

Running on this team is good, it will keep Duncan fresh for the Finals, and build confidence in those young-uns ability. Heck if we can save Duncan 6-8 trips down the court x 82 games a year that'll help a lot.

No NBA team can run for 48 mins so there will be ample opportunities for The Big Fundamental to continue to excel in the half court.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:56:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Denver:

maybe just a tiny bit, but not really.... we look to (what was it the 88 Celtics?) that had Shaw/Lewis/Dee Brown + the Big 3.

Running on this team is good, it will keep Duncan fresh for the Finals, and build confidence in those young-uns ability. Heck if we can save Duncan 6-8 trips down the court x 82 games a year that'll help a lot.

No NBA team can run for 48 mins so there will be ample opportunities for The Big Fundamental to continue to excel in the half court.

How will you team's offense function now that Tim Duncan no longer demands a double team?

I don't see any other players who can manufacture offense or create for others. How will Tim Duncan adjust to assuming more of a burden on offense at this late stage of his career?

Russell Westbrook will be forced into that role, will he be able to score efficiently? Or more importantly create opportunities for your SG/SF/PF to contribute.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Denver:

*  You have only one above-average three point shooter in your lineup, and he's a rookie coming off of what many think was a fluke season.  Is this a concern?

* Last year Duncan had career lows in points, rebounds, and blocks.  His team finished 7th in the West.  How much will he further decline this year?

* Seriously, how did you talk CFF into that trade you pulled off? ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Denver:

*  You have only one above-average three point shooter in your lineup, and he's a rookie coming off of what many think was a fluke season.  Is this a concern?

This is the first time I have heard anybody suggest that Thornton had a fluke season.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Denver:

*  You have only one above-average three point shooter in your lineup, and he's a rookie coming off of what many think was a fluke season.  Is this a concern?

This is the first time I have heard anybody suggest that Thornton had a fluke season.

Really?  I've heard that a lot, with many suggesting that Thornton's numbers are inflated, and that he'll come back down to Earth this season.  It's probably a bi-product of his draft position (13th pick of the 2nd round), but I've heard the skepticism pretty frequently.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Denver:

*  You have only one above-average three point shooter in your lineup, and he's a rookie coming off of what many think was a fluke season.  Is this a concern?

* Last year Duncan had career lows in points, rebounds, and blocks.  His team finished 7th in the West.  How much will he further decline this year?

* Seriously, how did you talk CFF into that trade you pulled off? ;)

every team has a weakness -- if 3pt shooting (outside Thornton, ariza, Blake) is ours well gladly take our defense over other teams as our big strength.

Of course there's some concern re:Dincan but I think some of that was a function of the slow drain of talent in SA...he stepped back up in the playoffs. We think our currnet roster surrounds him with more talent than he's seen in a few seasons.

Duncan may not always command a double team but he's still an great low post player and terrific passer. And his leadership on a young team shouldn't be overlooked.

Re: trade -- CFF and I weent back and forth ( starting kn the 1 st round). I think the deal hinges on how you see Arenas' comebackability -- which I think both. Cff and I think is good. Gil is a20 ppg scorer. I went in willing to give maybe more talent overall in a trade ) which I think I did BTW) in exchange for an elite leader/anchor like Duncan. I guess I see the deal as pretty fair and honestly thought pretty hard about giving up during negotiations. That said we felt we needed a guy like TD to compete for a r
title which is why we play the games ! :) 

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 09:34:53 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I'll def read all the pressers, but I think it's going to take a lot to convince me to budge on my rankings in the Northwest

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
Denver:

Really?  I've heard that a lot, with many suggesting that Thornton's numbers are inflated, and that he'll come back down to Earth this season.  It's probably a bi-product of his draft position (13th pick of the 2nd round), but I've heard the skepticism pretty frequently.

Thornton isn't Beeing asked to be a Ray Allen in his prime.

The skillset is there and I think there were just as many folks surprised that a talented college scorere/shooter like thonton slipped to the 2nd round. If he sholud regress we have the option/luxury of starting Childress or even Blake w sliding WB to the 2 spot

but we think thorton is a legit starting 2 guard who can stretch the floor. ESP playing with a guy Luke Duncan who will still help guys get good looks even if he doesn't get a consistent double team.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Denver:

Really?  I've heard that a lot, with many suggesting that Thornton's numbers are inflated, and that he'll come back down to Earth this season.  It's probably a bi-product of his draft position (13th pick of the 2nd round), but I've heard the skepticism pretty frequently.

I also haven't heard that from anyone, and I've been following Thorton's progress pretty closely.

In fact, the only thing I've read recently  was from Ryan Schwan at Hornets 24/7 which made the case that Marcus Thornton ought to be considered "untouchable" by management even when discussing Carmelo Anthony.

Career Arc

Here's the rub.  It's tough to send out a rookie - because they are a rookie, and you have no idea what their eventual ceiling is going to be.  Watching Collison go out that door was very tough for me.  He has the potential to be exceptional.  So we have the same issue with Thornton.

In general, player production peaks at age 24 and 25.  Marcus Thornton turned 23 this summer, and by most scales I've seen, we can probably expect him to produce about 5% more this year, and another 5% more after that.(this isn't a hard and fast rule, it could be more, it could be less).  If Thornton does improve that much, by the time Thornton is 24, he'll be posting a PER around 20.  That makes him elite, and considering his likely salary even if he blows up this year, it'll also make him a bargain.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Denver:

Really?  I've heard that a lot, with many suggesting that Thornton's numbers are inflated, and that he'll come back down to Earth this season.  It's probably a bi-product of his draft position (13th pick of the 2nd round), but I've heard the skepticism pretty frequently.

I also haven't heard that from anyone, and I've been following Thorton's progress pretty closely.

In fact, the only thing I've read recently  was from Ryan Schwan at Hornets 24/7 which made the case that Marcus Thornton ought to be considered "untouchable" by management even when discussing Carmelo Anthony.

Career Arc

Here's the rub.  It's tough to send out a rookie - because they are a rookie, and you have no idea what their eventual ceiling is going to be.  Watching Collison go out that door was very tough for me.  He has the potential to be exceptional.  So we have the same issue with Thornton.

In general, player production peaks at age 24 and 25.  Marcus Thornton turned 23 this summer, and by most scales I've seen, we can probably expect him to produce about 5% more this year, and another 5% more after that.(this isn't a hard and fast rule, it could be more, it could be less).  If Thornton does improve that much, by the time Thornton is 24, he'll be posting a PER around 20.  That makes him elite, and considering his likely salary even if he blows up this year, it'll also make him a bargain.

My assumption would be that anybody that thinks Thornton is untouchable even when discussing Carmelo Anthony is a tad bit biased.  Sort of like Celtics fans who wouldn't move Rondo for Chris Paul, or who thought that KG wasn't worth Big Al and Gerald Green.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Denver:

In fact, the only thing I've read recently  was from Ryan Schwan at Hornets 24/7 which made the case that Marcus Thornton ought to be considered "untouchable" by management even when discussing Carmelo Anthony.

Career Arc

My assumption would be that anybody that thinks Thornton is untouchable even when discussing Carmelo Anthony is a tad bit biased.  Sort of like Celtics fans who wouldn't move Rondo for Chris Paul, or who thought that KG wasn't worth Big Al and Gerald Green.

The Rondo for Chris Paul is taken, but the Big Al for KG is rejected...only crazy people thought that. Some may not have "wanted" to give up big Al, but everyone knew it was worth it, unless you were a crazy person.

Also, I don't think Ryan Schwan from Hornets 24/7, the ESPN Truehoop Blog is prone to fits of homerism, unless he's doing a schtick. Remember, that guy watched Thorton all season, we only saw a few games, if that, after CP3 went out.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I was pretty suprised to see Thornton shot .370 from downtown on 6 shots a night.