Author Topic: 2010 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 54860 times)

Re: 2010 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Speaking of health issues and Rudy T...  Last time Rudy coached, he last 40 games before resigning due to health issues.  He hasn't coached a game since.  After watching what George Karl's health issues did to the Nuggets, should fans be concerned about something similar happening to the Boxers?

A similar question to Nashville:  Why didn't you take your coaching choice more seriously?  Are you worried about it affecting your team's performance?
Rudy T will be fine.

This speaks to a bigger issue. Should we factor in coaching ability and fit when looking at teams?

I wasn't going to..I saw them as a bit of a nod to having your favorite coach in charge of your team.

But if others are going to I wonder how they're going to look at Rudy T? Personally I kind of see him like a player who is playing in Europe this year...its cool to have his rights but until there is something suggesting that he will coach again, he's out of the picture.
I think to each his own.

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Speaking of health issues and Rudy T...  Last time Rudy coached, he last 40 games before resigning due to health issues.  He hasn't coached a game since.  After watching what George Karl's health issues did to the Nuggets, should fans be concerned about something similar happening to the Boxers?

A similar question to Nashville:  Why didn't you take your coaching choice more seriously?  Are you worried about it affecting your team's performance?
Rudy T will be fine.

This speaks to a bigger issue. Should we factor in coaching ability and fit when looking at teams?

I wasn't going to..I saw them as a bit of a nod to having your favorite coach in charge of your team.

But if others are going to I wonder how they're going to look at Rudy T? Personally I kind of see him like a player who is playing in Europe this year...its cool to have his rights but until there is something suggesting that he will coach again, he's out of the picture.
I think to each his own.

Well that doesn't make any sense. That means one guy could completely derail you because your team's head coach wasn't up to showing up, and the chemistry never got going so your guys never developed a rapport.

Then, another guy could artificially elevate you because you have a HOF HC who will in reality never ever coach again.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Questions for Atlanta:

What type of team would you matchup with the worst? 

Who is Durant's sidekick?  Has an NBA team won a championship with as weak of a second option as whoever that is on your squad?

The 94 Rockets had Olajuwan (27ppg) and Otis Thorpe (14ppg) and the 2003 Spurs had Duncan (23ppg) and Parker (15ppg).

I feel that having a yearly MVP candidate in Durant with sound players who are committed to the team game that we can be very competitive.
My rebuttal question to that is can Durant impact the game in other ways than simply scoring to the level that Dream and Ducan could?

Both are big men who naturally have more value by positional scarcity and value. They also were top flight individual and team defensive anchors. Can Durant have that sort of overall impact beyond scoring.

This year Durant has made huge strides in his man and team defense.  Prior years arguments were his on/off court numbers.  This year the team allowed more points with him off the court. 

It can only be expected that his is going to improve again this year.
How much improvement though? He's an elite scorer/rebounder at SF, do you think he'll be an elite man to man and team defender like your two comparisons? Do you think he can be an elite creator for others at the wing like they were out of the post?

Because if not I don't see how your original comparison to Dream '94/Duncan '03 holds up.

I'm not trying to compare Durant to Duncan and Hakeem, because it's apples and oranges.  The question was asked about a 2nd star.  Those guys didn't have the best of second options.  Durant is obviously a superstar who will score a ton of points.   His defense is think is now underrated, and he will be a factor in all aspects of the game.

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Washington Boxers
Questions:
1.   Is Felton the right player for this team? He is best when running, your team is best served pounding it inside.
2.   When the game is on the line who gets the ball?

Thoughts:
1.   If Bynum and Manu can stay healthy you have a very good team. If either of those guys get hurt you are toast.
2.   There might be too much youth on your bench. I don’t really see someone on the second unit to calm things down when they get tough. This will lead to some starters needing to play with the bench, which will lead to fatigue and potentially injury.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25586
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Rudy T will be fine.

I absolutely will be factoring coaching into my evaluation of teams, just like I would in the "real" NBA.  Thus, why the rules stated a coach would be judged at their current level of coaching, and had to be a real person.  If coaching wasn't important, the Kings would be coached by Norman Dale.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Rudy T will be fine.

I think to each his own.

Well that doesn't make any sense. That means one guy could completely derail you because your team's head coach wasn't up to showing up, and the chemistry never got going so your guys never developed a rapport.

Then, another guy could artificially elevate you because you have a HOF HC who will in reality never ever coach again.
People are going to do what they are going to do IP. I can't stop them. We decided to have coaches. How much import someone is going to put into his decision in who the coaches effect the team is going to be a purely individual and subjective one. People will do what they do.

If people want to suddenly view the Boxers as a poorer team because they believe Rudy T is a coach that can't be relied upon to be there due to health reasons, so be it. When last I spoke to Rudy he said he would have no problems making through the year and that having such a great bunch of players and good people around him was going to make this thing go off with extremely little stress. He told me not to worry so I'm not.

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
2.   There might be too much youth on your bench. I don’t really see someone on the second unit to calm things down when they get tough. This will lead to some starters needing to play with the bench, which will lead to fatigue and potentially injury.

Very rarely is there a unit on the floor with zero starters. A smart coach can manage those minutes limiting fatigue, and the starters assuming they're that much better than the reserves, will bolster overall play.

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

NOW INTRODUCING YOUR 2010-2011
MIAMI HEAT!

Starters

Point Guard

STEVE NASH

Shooting Guard

STEPHEN JACKSON

Small Forward

JAMARIO MOOOOOOOOOOON

Power Forward

LAMAR ODOM

Center

CHANNING FRYE

Head Coach

PHIL JACKSON

Reserves

Gaurds: Lou Williams, Shannon Brown, Anthony Carter
Forwards: Bill Walker, Lazar Hayward, Darius Songaila
Centers: Chris Anderson, Kwame Brown

'09-'10 Season Stats
http://yfrog.com/ncstatsspj
*sorry about the link, couldn't get the image big enough

Minute Breakdown:

PG – Nash (31), Williams (12), Carter (5)
SG – Jackson (30), S. Brown (15)
SF – Moon (24), Walker (14), Jackson ( 8 ), Hayward (2)
PF – Odom (30), Frye ( 8 ), Songaila, (6), K. Brown (4)
C   – Frye (2O), *Anderson (23), Brown (3), Songaila (2)

*Although originally expected to make a full recovery in the offseason, it appears that Chris Anderson will miss a small portion of the regular season after knee surgery.  The lineup pictured above will take effect once Anderson has made his recovery.  Until then the lineup will be much more fluid.  The Heat will likely run out a smaller lineup while awaiting Anderson’s return as to take advantage of its depth at the smaller positions and to limit exposure to Kwame Brown and Darius Songaila while they fill in in an increased role.

Outlook:

I’m not going to sugarcoat this team and its outlook.  Yes – this team is small on the inside, especially while the Birdman recovers.  Yes – this team is asking a lot out of Lamar Odom and Channing Frye.  Yes – the season could potentially hinge on Jamario Moon stepping out of his comfort zone.  All of those things combined should make for a rocky first few weeks; however, the reason why this team WILL overcome these obstacles and in fact be a playoff team comes down to one word: Leadership.

Originally I had crafted this team to extenuate the strengths of, and work seamlessly with, Steve Nash.  This strategy was in effect until the coach selection round, when Phil Jackson fell to the Heat with the 3rd selection.  Although I’m not sure how much emphasis people put on this round, I knew that despite the differences between my drafting strategy and Phil Jackson’s coaching philosophies, just his presence alone would be enough to elevate this team and make it a candidate to proceed deep into the playoffs.  With Phil Jackson on the payroll, I moved David West for Stephen Jackson in an attempt to give Phil the dynamic wing player that he needs in his offense.  After that I surrounded Nash/Jax/Odom with the right attitudes, personalities, and skill set in order to achieve “zen” on and off the court.

The trio of Phil Jackson, Steve Nash, and Stephen Jackson provides the Heat with arguably the best cast of vocal and by-example leaders in the CBNBA.  Further, the roster itself is flooded with playoff tested individuals; the Heat roster boasts a ‘playoff games played’ total of 464, with playoff minutes surpassing 13,000.  Phil Jackson has also been provided 3 current or former players to help institute his offense and defensive philosophies.  Again, we in Miami understand there will be detractors, but in our minds, the trophies, rings, and leaders speak for themselves.

Player Expectations (by position):

PG – Despite the pure talent that has accumulated in the SE division, The Heat have a distinct advantage at the point guard position.  Two time MVP Steve Nash will face a learning curve dealing with the triangle offense, but there should be little doubt that the combination of Phil Jackson and Steve Nash will translate into a smooth-flowing offense.  A wealth of talent backs Nash up in Lou Williams, Anthony Carter, and if/when needed, Shannon Brown.  We feel that Lou Williams will be explosive off the bench and provide a big spark when needed.  Anthony Carter will see relatively limited action during the regular season, but should prove instrumental should any injuries occur in the backcourt.  As we know, Nash’s best defense is a good offense, but the opposing SE PGs of Felton, Hinrich, Duhon, and Terry shouldn’t create much of a hassle for Nash defensively.

SG – Stephen Jackson will join Steve Nash in the starting backcourt.  Joe Johnson and Jason Terry provide a great tandem in Orlando, but we feel that there is a clear cut leadership advantage on the Miami side.  The size and grit of Stephen Jackson should give opposing guards, such as Johnson, Ginobili, Stuckey, and Redick, a lot of trouble when he has the ball.  His defensive savvy should allow him to battle them without giving up too much.  Our top reserve is Shannon Brown; Lou Williams and Bill Walker will also see occasional minutes at the 2.  Phil Jackson has shown an increased trust in Shannon Brown over the last two seasons, and allotted Brown roughly 14 mpg in last years NBA Finals.  His pure speed and energy has been harnessed well by Jackson in the past and we expect Brown to bring the same tempo to Miami.

SF – As noted, this will be a trial by fire for Jamario Moon.  He will most certainly have to prove people wrong, but thanks to the scoring options surrounding him, Jamario’s main task will be to bring energy to the starting unit and play harassing defense – two things that he is known for around the league.  The group of SFs in Gay, Durant, Carter, Chandler, and AK47 are very talented, but at 6’8’’ 200 lbs we feel that Jamario measures up well to these athletic wing men.  His length and athleticism will allow him to stay in front of his man, which is all you can ask for against top scorers like Durant and Gay.  Certainly he will lose the +/- battle against those wings, but if he can limit their production he will have done his job.  His tasks will be similar to those given to Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza on the last two championship Laker teams.  Offensively Jamario will be required to hit the open look when he gets it as well as help out on the glass.  Jax will see time here as well and will man up guys like Durant for stretches.  Bill Walker is the primary reserve here.  As is the case with most of our reserve men, Walker brings instant energy as well as the potential for high-octane offense as his time in NY (54% fg, 43% 3p) proved.  Lazar Hayward will be brought along slowly, but we hope that he can contribute later into the season.

PF – Lamar Odom’s familiarity with the triangle, as well as his unique skillset of ballhandling and passing make him perfect for this offense.  Steve Nash will fall in love with Odom’s vision and cerebral understanding of how to be a playmaker.  Odom has never played with an elite point guard and will certainly create a rapport with Nash sooner rather than later.  Although he is a bit undersized, Odom’s quickness and length will be enough to challenge Amare, Scola, and Aldridge.  Odom registered a +305 in production by position at PF last season, a number that is a testament to how well he battled the talented bigs in the western conference.  Until birdman returns the reserves here will be a mix-n-match of bigs.  Lamar will be counted on heavily early in the season.

C – Channing Frye will start here until Anderson is recovered.  We feel that Anderson probably goes best with Odom in the starting rotation and will create a very long, athletic, and solid defensive/rebounding first unit.  Phil Jackson is used to a more conventional 5, but Steve Nash proved last season that he knows where to find Channing Frye and how to get him involved properly.  Offensively he will be a great weapon, defensively – though he will get out-produced on the glass – he does not face many formidable offensive centers in the SE.  Mehmet Okur is a very good scorer, but he and Frye are virtually identical in the way they play, we don’t expect him to outplay Channing Frye in a head-to-head matchup by much, if any.  Other than Okur, Frye is looking at Bynum, Okafor, and Biedrins.  He will lose the rebounding battle, but point production wise we expect him to outscore that group more times then not.  Once Birdman returns we expect him to even out the rebounding total and provide an interior defensive presence that, along with Odom, will create havoc for penetrating guards/forwards.  Until he returns, Kwame Brown will be the body called upon to do most of the banging.  His familiarity with Coach Jackson should help him step in and contribute to an extent.

Other Commentary:

Due to the timing of my vacation earlier this month, I was unfortunately unable to make several selections either myself or at the time they were due.  This created some problems with my roster, but in the end I’m satisfied with the result.  The lack of big man depth is clear, but the depth at the small positions, as well as Steve Nash’s experience playing with smaller lineups, should allow the Heat to battle every night.  Touching on the Heat outlook a bit more – I would think that this team would struggle initially with a unique coaching scheme and Anderson’s injury.  Despite that, I would expect that this team would find its way into the playoffs, though perhaps in the lower half.  Bottom line is any team that has both Phil Jackson and Steve Nash is going to make the playoffs; it’s just a matter of how far.  The SE division is loaded, but can each team say that they will get 82 games out of 2 superstars and 82 games out of one of the all-time great coaches?  The Miami Heat can.

FEEL THE BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25586
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Very rarely is there a unit on the floor with zero starters. A smart coach can manage those minutes limiting fatigue, and the starters assuming they're that much better than the reserves, will bolster overall play.

I agree.  Very few coaches make wholesale "line changes" with the lineup.  Doc is the only coach I can think of who does, and I think it's one of his biggest shortcomings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Speaking of health issues and Rudy T...  Last time Rudy coached, he last 40 games before resigning due to health issues.  He hasn't coached a game since.  After watching what George Karl's health issues did to the Nuggets, should fans be concerned about something similar happening to the Boxers?

A similar question to Nashville:  Why didn't you take your coaching choice more seriously?  Are you worried about it affecting your team's performance?
Rudy T will be fine.

I think to each his own.

People are going to do what they are going to do IP. I can't stop them. We decided to have coaches. How much import someone is going to put into his decision in who the coaches effect the team is going to be a purely individual and subjective one. People will do what they do.

If people want to suddenly view the Boxers as a poorer team because they believe Rudy T is a coach that can't be relied upon to be there due to health reasons, so be it. When last I spoke to Rudy he said he would have no problems making through the year and that having such a great bunch of players and good people around him was going to make this thing go off with extremely little stress. He told me not to worry so I'm not.

ha, so really as an answer to my question "should people consider coaches as a factor when judging teams, or should they consider coaches to be a more abstract little bit of personality added to a team?", you answered "Yes."

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 01:01:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Rudy T will be fine.

I think to each his own.

Okay the fake talking to Rudy T is a bit absurd. That's the equivalent of an GM "talking" to Maggette and Maggette saying he's a 100% on board with only taking 10 shots a game. I can't take such things seriously.

Its completely fair to consider coaching. I think coaching upheaval can definitely hurt a team. Personally for me its a bit more of a tiebreak when other factors are relatively equal.

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Question for the Magic. 

When you have players like Vince Carter, Biedrins, and AK47 dont you think that it is kinda misleading to post "Career" Stats since they are skewed by previous years and not reflective of recent performance?

Everyone had their career stats posted - some were better, some were worse, but I doubt anyone will be skewed too badly by these stats. These guys will be in a different system than their previous teams, so rather than judge them by their past year, their entire body of work is presented. Larger sample sizes and such - I trust the other GMs enough to know which players are getting older and which are still developing.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Rudy T will be fine.

I think to each his own.

Okay the fake talking to Rudy T is a bit absurd. That's the equivalent of an GM "talking" to Maggette and Maggette saying he's a 100% on board with only taking 10 shots a game. I can't take such things seriously.

Its completely fair to consider coaching. I think coaching upheaval can definitely hurt a team. Personally for me its a bit more of a tiebreak when other factors are relatively equal.

Nah Faf, Maggette's cool with it :)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree.  Very few coaches make wholesale "line changes" with the lineup.  Doc is the only coach I can think of who does, and I think it's one of his biggest shortcomings.
Hubie Brown did it in Memphis, I'm not sure if he utilized it during his other coaching tenures.

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Question for the Magic:

Is Vince Carter actually still "a force"? Lately he's been dissapearing for long stretches of games, and in case of the Eastern Conference Finals an entire series. What exactly do you think Vince brings to your team?

That's absolutely a concern - and that's why he'll be starting games but not finishing them. If he's in a funk, he's easily replaced, and he's surrounded by other players that can score, which should relieve some of the pressure. He's out there to score and defend, but if he can't do either and fades into the woodwork, there is room to yank him. He can still score and shoot well from long range, so I think he is still a valuable asset.

VC won't have the burden of pressure that has previously stifled him in this system. There are others who will be relied on to carry the offense in stretches, more so than he's had in the past five years or so, and hopefully that will open him up and allow him to play more freely. However, even if that turns out to be too much, there are several options to take his place without costing the team much on the court.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com