Author Topic: Recent LeBron ESPN article 8/17/10  (Read 4737 times)

Recent LeBron ESPN article 8/17/10
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5470162

This guy's ego is getting completely out of hand. Basically this article details how he DOES NOT regret the way he went about making his decision on ESPN, stated that he "hates" some people in Cleveland and this goes back to a beef between Akron and Cleveland, question's Gilbert's character, and then the last couple sentences consisted of the following:

And he said Cleveland fans were "awesome," but didn't take back his comment late last season that those around him were "spoiled" by his play.

"I love our fans. Cleveland fans are awesome," he told GQ. "But I mean, even my family gets spoiled at times watching me doing things that I do, on and off the court."

Wow...even spoiling your family off and on the court, huh, LeBron?
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

Re: Recent LeBron ESPN article 8/17/10
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bigger ego, Lebron or Starbury?

Honestly, I can't remember a player who was quite this full of himself.  Most ball players have a natural arrogance / cockiness, but Lebron's "you should grovel at my feet" manner makes me sick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I really dislike LeBron James to put it lightly lol. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:27:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I used to really respect Lebron, and never hated him the way a lot of Celtics fans did.  This summer has changed my mind.  I'm fine with his decision to leave Cleveland; with the right spin, that could be seen as a noble thing.  However, the hype and unabashed egotism has really touched a raw nerve with me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Pretty funny to read 'You will see the light of people when they hit adversity. You'll get a good sense of their character.' from a player that's been widely accused of quitting when the going gets tough in the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
All of his interviews are crazy to me now. I mean, seriously, who goes out of their way to say that he "spoiled" not just the fans, but his family as well?

I still can't believe he said that 'The Decision' was not classless.

Is the guy the second coming of Christ or something? Can he turn water to wine? Or can he only just whine?
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Eh, I'll wait til the actual article comes out, some of these quotes may come off very differently in context.  ESPN is usually going to pick the most inflammatory phrasing they can think of.

But from this it sounds like the seemingly impossible has happened: his ego has surpassed his talent.  It'll be interesting to see what happens if Miami has some adversity next year.  He and Wade is a lot of ego for one locker room.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:49:52 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I still don't get the spoiled thing.  He spoils people by going off on teams that play no defense, and then he can't carry his team through our defense and he just had bad games?

Good thing Wade's fans aren't spoiled because he still was able to score 33ppg on us.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The way LeBron keeps referring to himself with the third person is especially ridiculous and it tells a lot about how he sees himself. I always hated LeBron (sure, he is great on the court but I always disliked his off the court personality) but he has raised up his antics to a whole other level this summer. To claim that Dan Gilbert's letter gives him "a lot of motivation" shows that he is not a true winner, I mean, did he really need this letter to find the motivation? Shouldn't he had it before to win a championship?

Also, the talk about spoiling his fans and family is just ridiculous and disgusting. So is his sudden "we hated Cleveland as kids" approach.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
After following the GQ link, looks like ESPN is burying the real story here:

Is he holding an invisible teacup?

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Meh. I know many of us prefer our NBA stars to be humble folks off-the-court. The fact is - many of them aren't and I appreciate the fact that LeBron doesn't even bother to hide it.

All that matters to me is that he plays hard on the court and doesn't get in trouble off it. If he's going to be unfiltered in how he thinks of himself, well, good. I'd prefer that than the usual canned quotes.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The best thing the Cavs could have done for him and his career would have been first and foremost to keep Paul Silas around as coach for a couple more years.  If there is any one sure thing in pro basketball, surely it's that Paul Silas doesn't care about your ego.

His ego is the product of an adolescent "management" team of hangers-on and a desperately indulgent franchise.

Dan Gilbert probably shouldn't have written that letter, but in it he did acknowledge that he (and the team) shouldn't have been so coddling to their adolescent superstar (still a teenager when drafted, after all).

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
After following the GQ link, looks like ESPN is burying the real story here:

Is he holding an invisible teacup?

Is he wearing skinny jeans, too? Maybe him and Richard Jefferson should hang out also...

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Interesting article. The interviewer stated that Lebron seemed "conflicted"....that is an honest assessment of him, I think.

To tell the truth, I cannot dislike the man - even though I disliked "The Decision" big time. I hope that one day he'll look back at all of this as a learning experience.

And to try to look at this objectively, can we even hate "The Decision"? I remember looking at my local newspaper the next weekend right after The Decision had went down, and ironically I saw a sizeable article there about - our local Boys and Girls club needing money to stay afloat.

The article made no mention of "The Decision", but I couldn't help thinking about how that one hour show, initially thought classless by myself admittedly, would probably end up helping that particular club, and many others.

Does anyone know how much money was raised for the Boys and Girls Clubs from that show?

In the end, I still wouldn't have done the one hour special.

And I would not in fact be surprised if he does end up back in CLE somehow. And I'm sure that most would/will forgive him. Time heals wounds.

Thanks for post, CelticsWes.

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5470162

This guy's ego is getting completely out of hand. Basically this article details how he DOES NOT regret the way he went about making his decision on ESPN, stated that he "hates" some people in Cleveland and this goes back to a beef between Akron and Cleveland, question's Gilbert's character, and then the last couple sentences consisted of the following:

And he said Cleveland fans were "awesome," but didn't take back his comment late last season that those around him were "spoiled" by his play.

"I love our fans. Cleveland fans are awesome," he told GQ. "But I mean, even my family gets spoiled at times watching me doing things that I do, on and off the court."

Wow...even spoiling your family off and on the court, huh, LeBron?

He's completely right.  He made a wise decision leaving for Miami.  Dan Gilbert is an idiot and honestly he's giving the Cleveland fans more credit than he should.  The heck with those ungrateful people.   They didn't deserve LeBron.