Author Topic: Nets Plan B...will it work?  (Read 6742 times)

Nets Plan B...will it work?
« on: August 13, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It seems that one of the biggest losers in the Lebron sweepstakes was the New Jersey Nets.  Going into the offseason, many people thought they had the best core to put around Lebron, and the fact that they had room for 2 max players made them even more interesting.  But then things started to go wrong.

First, the lottery balls bounced the wrong way, and instead of the sure-fire star (OK, thats an exageration, but he was certainly a significant #1 pick) in Wall, they ended up with a talented, but unproven big man in Derek Favors.  But its alright, because they would just get their star in free agency...right?

Well, then Miami happened.  The Nets held out hope for a while that Lebron would join them, but as word starting to get out that Miami was his choice, or that he would be choosing between Miami and Cleveland, we can all imagine how crushed the Nets felt.

But, instead of going out and overcompensating for not getting Lebron, they went another way.  They decided to bring in some talented young role players, who fill holes in their lineup, and may end up growing along with the talented young guys they already had. 

Yes, perhaps they overpaid a bit for Travis Outlaw ($7 million a year is certainly steep), and maybe Jordan Farmar isn't worth $4 million a year (although I think once he gets the Lakers stink off him, we may see he is a very good backup PG). 

On the other side, I think a lot of us are high on Anthony Morrow, and think he could end up being a very good.  And while Johan Petro may not be flashy, getting a 24 year old athletic center, who can defend, and still has room to grow, is not a bad pickup.

But these are all individual moves.  We can pick any individual move apart.  What about the team?

I think they finished off the "team" very nicely by trading Courtney Lee for Troy Murphy.  This team was very young, and needed some veteran guidance, and they also needed a PF to allow Favors to grow into the role a bit. 

So, now, here is the roster:

Harris, Farmar
Morrow, Terrance Williams
Outlaw, Damion James
Murphy, Favors
Lopez, Petro

I know that doesn't look like much, but lets look at another team that came out of nowhere last year, who many picked to upset one of the top teams in the East, if they didn't have a devastating injury.

The Milwaukee Bucks roster last year looked like this:

Jennings, Ridnour
Salmons, Bell
Delfino, Stackhouse
Mbah ah Moute, Ilyasova
Bogut, Thomas

Is that so much better than the Nets?  I certainly don't think so. 

And of course we can't forget about the X factor, Avery Johnson.  He is one of the best coaches in the league, and they have him to whip these young guys into shape.

And you want to know what the best part is?  They will have max cap space next year as well.  By picking up Troy Murphy, they were able to take a run at the 8th playoff spot, in order to sell some tickets, put a decent product on the floor for their fans, and get good experience for their young players.  And then, they can take another whack at the bucket, and try to convince Carmelo Anthony that he should join them in trying to knock off the Heat.

So yeah, it would have been nice for the franchise if they caught one of the big fish this summer, but considering how bleak it looked, I actually like where they have gone.  They certainly have a brighter future than the Knicks, Cavs, and Raptors.

Re: Nets Plan B...will it work?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the Nets could make the playoffs this season. Could, I say. Not will. Could. Probably won't.

But I like Harris/Favors/Lopez.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
They were a better team before they added Troy Murphy.

I expect Devin Harris to continue to flounder in Vince Carter's absence. He just doesn't have enough help alongside him to hide his lack of playmaking and floor general skills.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:35:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think that the Nets win about 30 games next year.  Poor defense and poor leadership.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:35:47 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Excellent post, I actually thought about making a similar one but didn't have the time to put a solid argument behind.

I think they've done a tremendous job filling out the roster, though the Travis Outlaw signing was a reeeeaal mistake and suprisingly desparate.

Only think I disagreed with is (and it's minor) is that I'd imagine T-Will starts for this team. He's a natural 6th man, but Morrow and Outlaw are probably best used split up.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Only think I disagreed with is (and it's minor) is that I'd imagine T-Will starts for this team. He's a natural 6th man, but Morrow and Outlaw are probably best used split up.

Yeah, I think the starting SG spot is up for grabs. 

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I expect Devin Harris to continue to flounder in Vince Carter's absence. He just doesn't have enough help alongside him to hide his lack of playmaking and floor general skills.
I really don't understand giving up Courtney Lee to get Troy Murphy, I just don't.....

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I really don't understand giving up Courtney Lee to get Troy Murphy, I just don't.....

I think it comes down to Terrance Williams and Anthony Morrow. Where was Lee going to play if both those guys got minutes?

PLus it stopped them from having to start kris humpries or favors...both of which would've been a disaster.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think it comes down to Terrance Williams and Anthony Morrow. Where was Lee going to play if both those guys got minutes?

PLus it stopped them from having to start kris humpries or favors...both of which would've been a disaster.
Unless they flip Murphy as an expiring contract to a team that is trying to make a playoff run or dump salary it was a bad bad move.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:08:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Unless they flip Murphy as an expiring contract to a team that is trying to make a playoff run or dump salary it was a bad bad move.

They're going to have Favors being a sophmore, they're ought to be semi-competitive this season, and next summer they'll have 20 million to offer LeBron, as much as the KNicks.

I don't think it was a bad move if they concede that they're punting this season.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't mind the Murphy move. He helps them this year, so they can actually try to compete a little (instead of learning perpetual losing habits), could be a major trade dangler at the deadline if a future building block becomes available, or, worst case, enables next year's capspace to be exactly the same as it otherwise would be. I like Courtney Lee, but NJ had Williams (solid and intriguing), Morrow, and Outlaw and another intriguing rookie in damion james, who had a nice summer league. But they were really short on PF/C talent, so I like the idea of getting Murphy so that they can bring Favors up in a well-coached, lower pressure environment, and not be forced to play him major minutes so he learns bad habits. They've got quite a bit of youth on that team, and will probably get a nice pick this year; some maturity shouldn't hurt them.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
You are way underestimating Bogut if you think that Nets team is as good as theirs. Bogut is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. Everyone on the Nets is just a bunch of bench players pretending to be starters.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 05:24:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
You are way underestimating Bogut if you think that Nets team is as good as theirs. Bogut is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. Everyone on the Nets is just a bunch of bench players pretending to be starters.

Oh, I know how good Bogut is.  But I think Lopez could soon be just as good, if not better, and Murphy is twice the player of any of Milwaukee's PF's.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
How do you say......No Defense. And not enough offense to keep them afloat. Avery has his hands full with that group. A lot of role players, and not enough stars.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
As for next year, they'll probably add one lottery pick, then be able to offer max money to a guy who will want to play in Brooklyn, which should be within one or two seasons of next offseason, not the distant future (like it was for this offseason). Carmelo? Or roll the space over with another 1 year murphy type guy, make the brooklyn move, and go after chris paul or Dwight Howard.

Of course, this is the team that gave Johan Petro a 3+ million dollar contract for 3 years (Who were they bidding against?) so who knows.