Author Topic: Why Not Tayshaun Prince?  (Read 7771 times)

Why Not Tayshaun Prince?
« on: August 07, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Lemme start this off with Prince being an expiring contract too. The double sided part of this deal is more talent in exchange for taking on salary WITHOUT going past the 2 year window

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2f6kmtc

Replace PERK with SCAL and make his salary around 2 mil for one year.

For us, we get a real wing. Yes, he's aged some but he's still only 30 and aside from the back issue last year, he's been durable his whole career. He's a lefty that can hit the 3 and defend 3's and 4's. Has a post game, and can handle the ball on a fast break. Tayshaun is key here

The exchange though in this trade, b/c expiring for expiring for expiring makes little sense, essentially we trade BBD for Maxiell. He's still undersized for the center position, but he can block shot, hit a 10 footer as consistently as Davis, and rebound better.(and dunk the ball without getting stuffed)

Add in a draft pick this year and next, and I think Detroit takes the deal. It frees them up for next year to make a run at Melo or company.

Rondo - Nate - Bradley
Ray - Wafer - Marquis
Pierce - Prince - Harangody
KG - JO - Maxiell
Shaq - Perk - Erdin
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Why Not Tayshaun Prince?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:14 PM »

Offline ralph

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Joe Dumars has made some dumb moves in his day, but he is not a Dumb person, he will not trade away Prince for nothing. And Danny has treated our picks like gold so far, which leads me to believe he will not shell out picks for a 30 year old.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Joe Dumars has made some dumb moves in his day, but he is not a Dumb person, he will not trade away Prince for nothing. And Danny has treated our picks like gold so far, which leads me to believe he will not shell out picks for a 30 year old.

BBD and Perk are nothing?

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »

Offline JoeRowe23

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Yeh..I'm not giving up Perk unless Dwight Howard was on the other side of the deal….

He is the best defensive center in the league and has done the dirty work of this team during the big three era. Even Dwight says he hates to go up against him and that he is the one who defends him best.

His offense is limited but with guns off the bench we don’t need him for that. I want him to retire in green as one of the better low post defenders in this league. Why everyone wants to give up such a thing for offensive and instant health confuses me.

Yes he will not be back for now but as long as he can play in the playoffs I’m fine. That’s why we have Shaq and JO to hold down the fort while he is gone. Also watch some games, it’s hard to replace what Perkins is to this team on D. Defense wins championships, not offense.

Only way I would trade BBD is if I know he will not sign a extension or he plans to leave for more money and more playing time on a different team, which could happen.

Unless you know for sure this will happen or something mind blowing comes by why would you trade him?

He is one of the better backups in the league, has chemistry with our team, clicks especially with Nate, can make clutch jumpers and has proven he can start in our system and give us a W instead of a L.

This is way too much of Prince who is on the down slope of his career. I don't care how much we need a dynamic player. NO TRADING PERK AND GLENN DAVIS!!!

>:(

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I'd much rather try and save some cap space and instead invest in a much younger player. Tayshaun, like alot of guys on our roster is past his prime as an NBA athlete, and while that usually means that he wouldn't have much problem becoming more of a role-player We should be trying to eventually free up some cap-space so we have some flexibility as far as who we could try and sign once the Shaq + Big 3 era is over with.

Remember, the best 'role-players' (arguably of course) are hollywood actors, many of whom get paid more money to pretend to be other people on the silver-screen. We are 'lucky' to now have a starting 5 stacked with five guys who have all demonstrated franchise level talent throughout the course of their careers -- from the Big 3 to Shaq, to Rondo.

Any one of these players can take over a game, and all 5 of them have led the league in at least one area, statistically. Whether it be reg. season steals, field goal %, NBA 3 point contests, Defensive player of the Year, League MVP, Multiple NBA 3-point Contest winning (Ray), league MVP, Finals MVP, all NBA First team and defensive team, etc. Rondo will have some big shoes to fill next season  8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:37:12 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
1st off - TP to the originator for outside the box thinking. But Teyshaun Prince will not at all add much to the mix here unless Pierce goes down for any significant length of time. Jason Maxiel might get very little time behind the O'Neals and KG. Is he an upgrade to Big Baby Davis? Maybe long term but he is not better than both BBD and Perk longterm. I'd rather try to get a Travis Outlaw type (perhaps Roger Mason who used to play in San Antonio - not sure of his situation) with out screwing my future.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I thought I was bad with not reading an entire post before posting myself. Perk is not part of the trade by ANY means.
I used Perk as a salary to represent Scal. I tested it a few times, and with Scal at 2 mil per year, plus SHeed, BBD, and Fayette + Gaffney,  =   Maxiell and Prince   check out this roster

Rondo - Nate - Bradley
Ray - Wafer - Marquis
Pierce - Prince - Luke
KG - Maxiell - JO
Perk - Shaq - Erdin

Yes, minutes would be sparing. BUT, this is an old team that plans on going far into the playoffs. Injuries are bound to happen, as well as players not meshing well together. Rather than have an 8 man rotation with poor chemistry or limited offensive options like last year, look at this roster.
Starting 5 is championship material, and the bench could out perform most starting 5s
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He is the best defensive center in the league
Perkins is not the best defensive center in the league, Dwight Howard is.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
i think Prince would be a good addition. can hit the 3, plays solid individual and team D, can post you up (somewhat). Maxiell for BBD, for me, is essentially a wash. undersized bigs who play with tons of energy. I would do this trade (BBD+Sheed+trash+1st rd for Prince-Maxiell) and i think Detroit would do it too.

the sticking point is the 1st round pick but a solid draft pick doesn't taste as sweet as a championship banner. would you rather have Bradley? or would you rather have won game 7 of the Finals?

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
i think Prince would be a good addition. can hit the 3, plays solid individual and team D, can post you up (somewhat). Maxiell for BBD, for me, is essentially a wash. undersized bigs who play with tons of energy. I would do this trade (BBD+Sheed+trash+1st rd for Prince-Maxiell) and i think Detroit would do it too.

the sticking point is the 1st round pick but a solid draft pick doesn't taste as sweet as a championship banner. would you rather have Bradley? or would you rather have won game 7 of the Finals?

- LilRip

Baby > Maxiel. Numbers don't tell the story.  Watch them play.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Prince would be great.  Definitely wouldn't give up Perk and BBD, but I'd give up BBD. 

If we're going to have to go through Miami, we're going to need lots of defensive depth at the 2/3.  Daniels is a start, but not enough.  Tayshaun Prince pretty much is everything we need: can hit the 3, plays D, has great length, and has championship experience. 

And given that we might not be able to retain Baby after this season anyway, if we can get someone like Tayshaun, I wouldn't hesitate. 

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 12:37:22 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399

- LilRip

Baby > Maxiel. Numbers don't tell the story.  Watch them play.

I do watch them play. Baby more than Maxiell, of course, but from what i gather, both are pretty strong for their size and both play with a lot of energy. Maxiell is a better rebounder (accdg to their rebounding rates). i don't know if he has a jumpshot but i do know he's more athletic than Baby.

I think if given the chance to play within our team and system (something which i also think he's capable of doing), he can do well too. I don't think role players really shine on bad teams.

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Maxiel actually sucks.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson