Author Topic: 2 more wings off the list  (Read 3422 times)

2 more wings off the list
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Rasual Butler (we seemed to be interested in)  and Tim Thomas (nobody seemed interested in him) are staying with their teams from last season.  The Clippers for Butler and the Mavs for Thomas (BTW the Mavs look like they have a lot of depth see how it works for them out west).   Really looking like its Josh Howard or trade/signing that we don't yet know about or bust for us to get another wing this offseason.

Re: 2 more wings off the list
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2742
I didn't really want either of those two on the celtics. Butler would be ok as the 4th wing, but now we signed Daniels to hopefully be the 4th, we need a 3rd wing.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd have been happy with Butler.

Tim Thomas is not a wing, he's slow for even a 4 these days.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would have liked Butler as well.

Go sign Bogans.  He can serve as the 4th wing (unless the Celtics later trade for a true third wing) 

He defends.  And (to be different then Daniels who has slashing/dribbling abilities) can knock down open corner threes

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I would have liked Butler as well.

Go sign Bogans.  He can serve as the 4th wing (unless the Celtics later trade for a true third wing) 

He defends.  And (to be different then Daniels who has slashing/dribbling abilities) can knock down open corner threes
Yeah, I'd love to see the Celtics add Bogans.

I don't want to go into the season with Marquis Daniels as the only veteran/proven wing player on the roster. He is too injury prone for that + his lack of shooting ability could become too large an issue against certain opponents.

There needs to be alternatives ... at least one and preferably two veteran wing players behind him.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I am a little concerned about three point shooting this season. Last year, we had Sheed and House coming in with the second unit. Now, we only really have Nate (unless Sheed changes his mind). This needs to be addressed at some point this season, even if it's at the trade deadline.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I would have loved Butler -- he's a better player than Marquis -- but there was no realistic way that we could get him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
i just read i good story on mccants in espn magazine.  i think i've converted and would like to see him on the c's now.  he's friends with kg and maybe under his guidence, rm could tap his potential.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
i just read i good story on mccants in espn magazine.  i think i've converted and would like to see him on the c's now.  he's friends with kg and maybe under his guidence, rm could tap his potential.

Yeah, I read the same thing.  I like the idea of a partially guarantee min contract to get him into camp. 

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I guess we can forget about considering T-mac as well

The Bulls are prepared to sign Tracy McGrady if he proves to be sufficiently healthy in a workout Monday and he can convince the team he is willing to accept a bench role, one source familiar with Chicago's thinking said Sunday.

"Nothing is done until it's done, but I expect the Bulls to sign McGrady later this week," the source said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/n ... id=5408617

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Not a lot left at this point.  I'm hoping for Howard, but that seems like it's slipping away. 

The idea of Shaq and Moon/Parker is appealing more and more.  I only worry that Cleveland won't be all that interested in simply giving us those guys for Sheed's deal. 

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:23:34 AM »

Offline mcshane41

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
Maybe with Q back we should go for a young/project wing? We usually sign a big like that (Patrick O'Bryant/Sheldon Williams).

I think one go around with Green was enough. But how about Joe Alexander? He is young (23) and raw, but he is super athletic and has great size for a SF (6'8" 230lbs). Maybe the former #8 pick might thrive if he can focus on being a Defender and using his athleticism on the fast break.

Rodney Carney has been mentioned before too, he's got a more developed shot and is another young one we could take a chance on.

Just a couple ideas. we won't find another James Posey so maybe we should go for a project instead?