Author Topic: Delonte West  (Read 13673 times)

Re: Delonte West
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
He doesn't fill any need for the Celtics.

We're still looking for defensive size at the wing. That's not Delonte.

We've got our backup point guard. And he's not Delonte.

And we could also use another big or a wing who can create his own shot and finish. Neither of those are Delonte.

I don't get the interest...?

I agree.  However, as I've been saying for weeks, beggars can't be choosers.  

Ideally we'd get some defensive size.  

However, if the choice is going into the season with Daniels and Bradley as the primary backups vs. Daniels and West, I'll take Daniels and West.  

Daniels can guard 3s and West can guard 2s and hit outside shots.  So there are worse things in the world.  

Actually, i would prefer Daniels, Bradley, AND west.  By the way, west is also a very intelligent player.

I am torn on this, but if the celtics signed him I would withhold opinion until I see whether he can behave correctly. I still harbor fond memories of him as a Celtic.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2562
If Delonte was a bad guy or stupid as some have suggested, I'd actually be less concerned.  Stupid guys can learn over time (some do), and bad guys can grow up and improve aspects of their character.  IF he has Bipolar Disorder, then we are talking about a serious mental illness that is not curable, but at best controllable.   Trouble is (and this is a common dynamic among people with Bipolar), when on medication he likely feels less himself and may even feel less able to perform to the best of his basketball ability. Thus, an insidious cycle ensues: many folks go off medication and feel better (in fact feel wonderful for a while) only to result in the inevitable episodic crash.  During an episode of the disorder, people will do things they'd never do when non-episodic.  
I worked many years ago with a young man with Bipolar -- he'd stop his meds when he believed he didn't need them.  His mania would rise and would be accompanied by deluisions (persecutorial and those of grandeur).  He would believe that he could accomplish anything and he'd take on new projects and enterprises -- promising things to people that he believed he could deliver and using his supreme confidence to assure them that he would.  Invariably, he crashed -- began thinking everyone was out to get him and eventually realized that he was unable to do all the things he thought he could.  The result was a period of monumental depression, misery and self-deprecation -- unable to leave home; suicidal.  Eventually, he'd get back on meds and return to reasonably healthy functioning. But, the awful part of the disorder is that he always knows that there is a part of him that is dynamic, flamboyant, fun and energetic -- and this part has to be kept in check or it winds out of control.

The worry for Delonte is that he may feel much more on top of his game when he's not on meds -- and if he aquiesces to his desire to stop treatment can lead to an inevitable downturn and depression.  Since these episodes are not on a clear and predictable timetable, its not shocking that we didn't hear much about it during his first stint in Boston.

That said -- perhaps he doesn't have Bipolar....?

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'm hearing the C's may be interested in Delonte West, what are they trying to upgrade the ballboy position or did the towelboy quit?

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm hearing the C's may be interested in Delonte West, what are they trying to upgrade the ballboy position or did the towelboy quit?

No but they were disappointed with how little some of their fans knew about the game of basketball...

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Delonte makes a ton of sense.  You could probably acquire him in a straight up swap for Rasheed and he can play the 2 guard backup to Ray Allen.    He has some position versatility as well with Nate Robinson AND Avery Bradley where his ballhandling skills would be a positive.   

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Just so we're clear, I am 100 percent opposed to the expenditure of any asset - including Sheed's contract - for Delonte West and his baggage.

Only if he can be signed for the vet's minimum is he worth a look. Anything else is FAR too high a price for his baggage.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 08:15:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I really like the idea of signing Delonte West, if it is for little money.  I view him as the Celtics version of kryptonite, and hence secret weapon, against Kobe Bryant and the Heat.

Delonte has issues, but strikes me as the type of player who can turn things around, and really make a difference on a championship squad.

And after all, who else do the Cs have at backup SG?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
He doesn't fill any need for the Celtics.

We're still looking for defensive size at the wing. That's not Delonte.

We've got our backup point guard. And he's not Delonte.

And we could also use another big or a wing who can create his own shot and finish. Neither of those are Delonte.

I don't get the interest...?

I agree.  However, as I've been saying for weeks, beggars can't be choosers.  

Ideally we'd get some defensive size.  

However, if the choice is going into the season with Daniels and Bradley as the primary backups vs. Daniels and West, I'll take Daniels and West.  

Daniels can guard 3s and West can guard 2s and hit outside shots.  So there are worse things in the world.  

Actually, i would prefer Daniels, Bradley, AND west.  By the way, west is also a very intelligent player.

I am torn on this, but if the celtics signed him I would withhold opinion until I see whether he can behave correctly. I still harbor fond memories of him as a Celtic.

Right.  I was talking about as the primary backups to Pierce and Allen.  If West is here, Bradley likely will spend a lot of time on the bench.  

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
You could do a lot worse than D-West at the back-up 2.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
DWest seemed perfect in Boston. How can we not assume that him being shipped out could have been part of his depression etc?
I can list 100 reasons why he'd excel here, but the main points are his ability to defend, being a lefty adds a great dimension to the offense, his ability to score, and he can run the offense.
What could be better than a bench of Nate,DWest,Daniels,BBD and one of the Oneals(since the other would start for Perk)
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

What could be better than a bench of Nate,DWest,Daniels,BBD and one of the Oneals(since the other would start for Perk)

That's a bench without much length, but it looks pretty good.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

That's a bench without much length, but it looks pretty good.

Well, a bench with Parker, Moon, or much more ideally Howard.  Someone with some length. 

However, I agree, it could be worse.  Unless Danny has a trick up his sleeve to net someone with size, we could do a lot worse than D-West at the minimum. 

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
To me, he will only get the minimum if any team is willing to risk it - but I'd wait until Stern says if a league suspension will happen.

If not, I'd say he's BPA for the minimum!

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the only "bring back...." players i support actually bringing back are dwest and gomes. 

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My first reaction was "no way," but upon further review, it seems like West would be a decent addition: Daniels can spend more time backing up Pierce at the 3, and West could be Ray's primary backup. West isn't the prototypical wing guy -- someone who could play the 2 AND the 3 and has some good length (6-6 or taller), and would kinda cramp the two guard positions (Rondo, Ray, Nate, West, Bradley) ... BUT, he's a good outside shooter, which is something the C's have been looking for, as well as a good ball handler and defender. Having him and Nate on the second unit could really spread the floor, giving Daniels room to slash. Boston could certainly do a lot worse than brining back West.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis