Author Topic: Anyone see TA's comments on being a Celtic?  (Read 21572 times)

Re: Anyone see TA's comments on being a Celtic?
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Jw why did this get moved to around the NBA when this is directly about the Celtics lol.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Tony's quotes about why he left
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mayo and TA can't play together? It isn't like they have a top PG demanding minutes.
Tony Allen has a long way to go before he moves Conley from the starting spot. And the Grizzlies are delirious if they think they can run any sort if offense by pairing Mayo with Allen at the guard spots.
Their plan is to move OJ Mayo to the PG position.

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Jw why did this get moved to around the NBA when this is directly about the Celtics lol.

Tony Allen no longer plays for the Celtics, and his comments were about his role on the Grizzlies.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Mayo and TA can't play together? It isn't like they have a top PG demanding minutes.
Tony Allen has a long way to go before he moves Conley from the starting spot. And the Grizzlies are delirious if they think they can run any sort if offense by pairing Mayo with Allen at the guard spots.
It's more a possibility than a certainty.

Their head coach, Lionel Hollins, doesn't think that Mayo is a point guard + values Mike Conley highly.

I didn't see any of Memphis' summer league games but unless Mayo had a spectacular tournament there ... I wouldn't expect it to happen. Although, I agree that it should and would be disappointed if it doesn't.

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Tony Allen no longer plays for the Celtics, and his comments were about his role on the Grizzlies.

No I knew why, but it was still a lot about the Celtics.  Not like it matters anyways to be honest lol.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Their head coach, Lionel Hollins, doesn't think that Mayo is a point guard + values Mike Conley highly.

I didn't see any of Memphis' summer league games but unless Mayo had a spectacular tournament there ... I wouldn't expect it to happen. Although, I agree that it should and would be disappointed if it doesn't.
I thought I read a couple of quotes from Mayo about playing the PG position.

*shrug* we'll have to see what happens.

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

OJ Mayo went to summer league to tryout as a point guard. To try and prove that he could play the position.

Just looking at his stats ... 3apg in 33 minutes (only two games) ... I doubt he did enough to convince Memphis to keep him there.

Edit: Wow, just looked at his stats again, 7.5 turnovers per game against 3 assists per game. 5.5 fouls per game too.

-------------------------------------------------------

If OJ Mayo plays the point guard position next year his most likely role is doubling up as both the starting two guard (20-23 minutes a night) and backup point guard (13-16 minutes a night). Playing behind Mike Conley.

This is something that Memphis really wants to be able to do and judging from the lack of backup PG acquisitions (Greivis Vasquez only other option) ... there is a good chance of this happening.

That does create some minutes at the two spot. About 24 minutes a night for the backup SG. Another 10 minutes or so at the backup SF position which could be earned by TA or given to another backup player (Xavier Henry? Sam Young?).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:16:10 AM by Who »

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
There was a very good interview by Ron Tillery with Lionel Hollins shortly after last season ended.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/may/13/geoff-calkins-lionel-hollins-talks-mike-conley-oj-/

Good insight into what the Grizzlies head coach thinks of his roster.

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Anyone else wonder if TA was the "agenda" that Rondo referred to during the season.  I've read most of this thread but was kind of lazy so I apologize if someone else brought it up.  I remember when Rondo said it and I was going through the players in my head to figure out who thought they were more valuable than they are or who would have an 'agenda' and the only people I could think of were TA and House because they were in contract years.

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
If TA had an "agenda" then I never heard about it... all accounts that I know of pointed to TA being a very good locker room / role player and always the first off the bench to high five the people in the game.

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Your talents are usually what keeps you from being overshadowed.Tony could end up feeling overshadowed in Memphis before its all over.If Mayo,Conley,or whatever other players show they deserve the minutes,then thats probably how things will go.Id rather feel overshadowed by older(vet)players than younger players.He might end up with worst feelings in Memphis.

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

OJ Mayo went to summer league to tryout as a point guard. To try and prove that he could play the position.

Just looking at his stats ... 3apg in 33 minutes (only two games) ... I doubt he did enough to convince Memphis to keep him there.

Edit: Wow, just looked at his stats again, 7.5 turnovers per game against 3 assists per game. 5.5 fouls per game too.

-------------------------------------------------------

If OJ Mayo plays the point guard position next year his most likely role is doubling up as both the starting two guard (20-23 minutes a night) and backup point guard (13-16 minutes a night). Playing behind Mike Conley.

This is something that Memphis really wants to be able to do and judging from the lack of backup PG acquisitions (Greivis Vasquez only other option) ... there is a good chance of this happening.

That does create some minutes at the two spot. About 24 minutes a night for the backup SG. Another 10 minutes or so at the backup SF position which could be earned by TA or given to another backup player (Xavier Henry? Sam Young?).

You're right on.  I think the idea is for OJ to be able to play a bit of backup PG, but he is not a real PG and there would be no reason to set aside the young and talented Mike Conley.

I think TA will have some possible minutes at the backup SG position then although if I was Memphis I'd figure out how to get Sam Young on the court.  I've always liked his toughness and athleticism and in summer league he looked really great.  I'm a big fan.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
What's wrong with a guy wanting the chance to showcase his talents? He already won a title and realizes that there is no opportunity in the foreseeable future as a Celtic to get starters minutes.

He was not always my favorite player but I don't fault the guy for wanting a shot at big minutes.

It is different if an established starter in the league leaves a great team to go to a crappy one for more money. That is greed and ego. This is a case of a guy wanting his turn. He finally has confidence in his game and may turn into the guy we saw for 30 games in 2006 for a whole season. I am rooting for the guy personally.

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
What's wrong with a guy wanting the chance to showcase his talents? He already won a title and realizes that there is no opportunity in the foreseeable future as a Celtic to get starters minutes.

He was not always my favorite player but I don't fault the guy for wanting a shot at big minutes.

It is different if an established starter in the league leaves a great team to go to a crappy one for more money. That is greed and ego. This is a case of a guy wanting his turn. He finally has confidence in his game and may turn into the guy we saw for 30 games in 2006 for a whole season. I am rooting for the guy personally.

Sure like Rondo so succinctly said that he wasn't surprised that Tony did what was best for him.  It would be cool though if one NBA player realized his limitations and just said.  I'm satisfied being a key reserve on a talented team. 

OJ Mayo isn't an NBA PG.  What happened to Conley? I remember more than a few posters commenting on him ending being better than Rondo. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Sure like Rondo so succinctly said that he wasn't surprised that Tony did what was best for him.  It would be cool though if one NBA player realized his limitations and just said.  I'm satisfied being a key reserve on a talented team. 

OJ Mayo isn't an NBA PG.  What happened to Conley? I remember more than a few posters commenting on him ending being better than Rondo. 
Conley was a guy who floated up mock drafts because there were no other PGs in his draft.