Author Topic: Drazen Petrovic is in the HOF, should Reggie be in too?  (Read 8285 times)

Drazen Petrovic is in the HOF, should Reggie be in too?
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:10:49 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Didn’t realize that they put Drazen in Springfield. He was a good player, but was he better than Reggie Lewis was? Is it just because of his 3PT shooting?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:16:01 AM by xmuscularghandix »

Re: Drazen Petrovic is in the HOF, should Reggie be in too?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:06:22 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I think it's because of Drazen's European career and what he did for other Euros who would eventually come into the league. He was one of the first Europeans to come into the NBA and really be put on the star level and I think it made more NBA GM's really take notice of other players from the continent. He also had a stellar career on the national teams stage (Olympics, world championships)

Reggie, now I'm just a little too young to have really seen either of them play live but Reggie didn't have nearly the same impact on basketball that Drazen did. He was obviously an amazing talent and most likely could of been in the hall of fame if he had the chance to finish his career but the way it really turned out, I don't think he deserves the hall of fame.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:37:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Neither should be in the Hall of Fame.  In terms of their actions as players in the league.  Drazan perhaps for being the first Euro but even then I am skeptical its little more than Stern tring to globalize the game.

I loved Reggie's game but its a reach at best.  I mean Dennis Johnson had a much better career and look at all the the hassle the HoF gave him.  As a player, Drazen, did not have the tenure or body of work to get into the HoF.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:35 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Neither should be in the Hall of Fame.  In terms of their actions as players in the league.  Drazan perhaps for being the first Euro but even then I am skeptical its little more than Stern tring to globalize the game.

I loved Reggie's game but its a reach at best.  I mean Dennis Johnson had a much better career and look at all the the hassle the HoF gave him.  As a player, Drazen, did not have the tenure or body of work to get into the HoF.

It's the basketball hall of fame.. Not the NBA hall of fame.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

It's the basketball hall of fame.. Not the NBA hall of fame.

TP, Drazen was one of the best shooters I've seen, and if he didn't pass away, he'd have showed it at the NBA level.

He did a lot in Europe, he dominated the game and had strong scoring performances, but he truly was a warrior. He was fearless, he wanted it more than Kobe, you could tell.

He, like Fernando Martin, was unlucky to be drafted by Portland. Schuler and Adelman were not able to see their talents, but unlike Martín (a great player but at 6'9" he was used as a SF/PF, when he was the toughest PF/C I've seen in my whole life - sorry Dave Cowens, I didn't see you play  :P), Drazen was traded to the Nets. There he found playing time, and he started to play at NBA speed, he added some muscle, and given he was one of the best shooters ever, things started to work fine.

He was 29 and starting to play like an All-Star. He was the first player grown up in Europe that reached that level, but if Drazen and Sabonis had played in the NBA in their primes, they could have been All-NBA players.

Reggie was special, he and Bias could have brought #17,#18 and even more titles for the Cs, but he was 27 and still entering his prime.  Drazen's global impact was greater, and that's why he's in the HOF.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'm from Croatia and i was blessed to watch majority of Dražen Petrović games in Croatia and Europe. In early 80-ties basketball league of former Yugoslavia was the best league after NBA. Dražen or "Petro" make a team by 17th birthsday. Next year, only 18 years old he won league title with 2 free throws with no time left in deciding games. Won bronze in LA, silver in Seul and Barcelona. Won two euroleague titles with Cibona Zagreb, with former Yugoslavia won World and European Championchips. In golden era great players in Europe (Arvidas Sabonis, Nikos Galis, Oscar Schmidt, San Epifanio, Antonelo Riva, Dorron Jamschy, Toni Kukoć, Dino Radja, Vlade Divac...) Petro was the best. From Croatia goes to Spain to Real Madrid, in Eurocup final 1989. Oscar Schmidt scores 47 points, but Real won because Petro scored 62.
In one Euroleague game versus italian club Simac (111-95 Cibona win) he scored 47 points (19/24 FG) and 30 asists. Of 111 Cibona points 107 was his points or asists. Coach of Simac, US Dan Peterson said after "this guy can play with Bird in Boston or Magic in LA". When Portland select him in 1986. draft Petro said "i was hoping it was Boston, there apriciate white players".
In European Championchips 1989. he won gold with 30,0ppg (76% FG, 70% 3pts!!!, 95% FT), 6,0apg and 2,5 spg.
He scored game high 24 points of Barcelona final vs Dream Team against Jordan and Drexler...
With Nets scored 44 against Rockets and 39 against Celtics...
He was true basketball pioneer. Portland coach Rick Adelman didnt see his talent but after he saw how good Petro become in New Jersey  Adelman had in Sacramento 3-4 european players...
Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojaković...all of them have Petro as rolle model...
I love Ray Allen, but if we had Dražen Petrović circa 1988-93 in final vs Lakers we would won banner 18.
Dražen Petrović is greatest European player of all-time, one of the greatest shooters of all-time and deserving HOF-er.
Peace.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I'm from Croatia and i was blessed to watch majority of Dražen Petrović games in Croatia and Europe. In early 80-ties basketball league of former Yugoslavia was the best league after NBA. Dražen or "Petro" make a team by 17th birthsday. Next year, only 18 years old he won league title with 2 free throws with no time left in deciding games. Won bronze in LA, silver in Seul and Barcelona. Won two euroleague titles with Cibona Zagreb, with former Yugoslavia won World and European Championchips. In golden era great players in Europe (Arvidas Sabonis, Nikos Galis, Oscar Schmidt, San Epifanio, Antonelo Riva, Dorron Jamschy, Toni Kukoć, Dino Radja, Vlade Divac...) Petro was the best. From Croatia goes to Spain to Real Madrid, in Eurocup final 1989. Oscar Schmidt scores 47 points, but Real won because Petro scored 62.
In one Euroleague game versus italian club Simac (111-95 Cibona win) he scored 47 points (19/24 FG) and 30 asists. Of 111 Cibona points 107 was his points or asists. Coach of Simac, US Dan Peterson said after "this guy can play with Bird in Boston or Magic in LA". When Portland select him in 1986. draft Petro said "i was hoping it was Boston, there apriciate white players".
In European Championchips 1989. he won gold with 30,0ppg (76% FG, 70% 3pts!!!, 95% FT), 6,0apg and 2,5 spg.
He scored game high 24 points of Barcelona final vs Dream Team against Jordan and Drexler...
He was true basketball pioneer. Portland coach Rick Adelman didnt see his talent but after he saw how good Petro become in New Jersey  Adelman had in Sacramento 3-4 european players...
I love Ray Allen, but if we had Dražen Petrović circa 1988-93 in final vs Lakers we would won banner 18.
Dražen Petrović is greatest European player of all-time, one of the greatest shooters of all-time and deserving HOF-er.
Peace.

I had to login just to give you a TP. Great post.
I hadn't realized how great he really was. And like another poster said, it's the basketball hall of fame, not just the NBA.
And no, Reggie was not a hall of fame player- but had developed into a legitimate all-star.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3774
  • Yup
Peace.

got goosebumps reading that

he was really amazing

hearing Oscar Schmidt's name again was nice too.  He played for a long, long time.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »

Offline sbm8196

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm from Croatia and i was blessed to watch majority of Dražen Petrović games in Croatia and Europe. In early 80-ties basketball league of former Yugoslavia was the best league after NBA. Dražen or "Petro" make a team by 17th birthsday.

Awesome.  As a 30-something C's fan, I appreciate the history of the game.  Thanks for the summary on Drazen.

I agree with kenmaine on Reggie Lewis.  Such a bummer that he passed.  But not every All-Star belongs in the Hall.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
If Dick Vitale can make it how could you keep Reggie Lewis out?

What about Bernard King not being in there as another player who's career was cut short. Before his knee injury he was among the best of his era.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't have a problem with Drazen being inducted just for the fact that he was a ground breaker.  However, if he didn't die as he did, I'm not sure that he would be in there now.
I think Reggie deserves it.  I'd rank him way ahead of Reggie Lewis because of the longevity factor and the clutch playoff heroics.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
Peace.

Good stuff, but id also like to say if we had circa 2000 prime Ray Allen or even Paul or KG we would have won 18 no problem as well...

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 04:20:16 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Drazen is an absolute legend in Europe. For me the best European player of all time and one of the biggest talents in the history of the game. You guys didn`t see enough of him in the NBA...

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Petro was Ray-like shooter with KG's drive. I love Ray but I would rather have Petro at his peak. Much, much better ballhandler, passer, equal shooter, similar rebuonder...At 6-5 could play both guard positions...He was FA in the summer when he was killed (his girlfriend drove the car in highway, Petro was sleeping...a truck from different direction lost control, drove thru safety fences and colide with Petro's car...freaky accident)and Riley's Knicks and Tomjanovich's Rockets (next years finalist) were preparing for bidding war for Petro... In 1992/93 he was third team all-NBA...ahead of Reggie Miller, Reggie Lewis, Mitch Richmond...Believe me, Petro at his peak was better then Ray at his peak...Its not homerism, its a fact.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia