Author Topic: NFL Football 2010  (Read 79969 times)

Re: NFL Football 2010
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This Charger team has a history of starting slow.

It also has a history of watching their kicker choking in the playoffs. 

I know Rivers still has quite the long career ahead of him but I think this Chargers team missed their window to capitalize and win it all.  Still a playoff team but not sure they can get past some of the AFC's elite.

Is it a shock?

They keep a kicker that chokes year after year in the playoffs.

They go from one good regular season coach that doesn't win in the playoffs to another coach that is the same. 

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Chargers don't look good.
Be a glass half full guy Faf. The Chiefs looked very good.

Phillip Rivers looks to be missing Vincent Jackson bad. After the first drive in which the Chiefs got a heavy dose of Gates, the Chiefs blanketed him. They were jamming him with two guys at the line. They were also blitzing heavily. For most of the game the receivers were left in single coverage. Nanee made some big plays but every time the bolts got in the red zone they stalled. If Jackson or another big receiver was there they can't give Gates so much attention. If they can't bring Jackson back I don't see them being very good this year.

Why they don't pay Jackson is beyond me. His current contract is 600k which is peanuts for a player of his caliber. He should be holding out.
I don't think the Chiefs looked that good at all. They didn't sustain drives. They scored one TD because of their offense (on one big play) and two TDs because of their special teams or short field. (one return and one turnover)

Defensively they looked good, but not great. Especially when you consider the Chargers weren't able to run the ball effectively. (they were a terrible rushing team last year too)

The Chiefs looked like a 6-10 or 7-9 team last night, which isn't awful but the Chargers were 13-3 last year. They should be able to perform better than that against an inferior team.
A 6-10 or 7-9 team normally is probably a playoff team in that awful division. I think both Romeo and Weis doing what they are best at (defense and offense respectively) will help this team win more games than people realize.

I thought there defense looked great and with how young it is should get better. The special teams looked great and McCluster and Charles will end up making the offense better by the end of the season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers don't make the playoffs. I also wouldn't be shocked if they ran off a bunch of wins when Jackson comes back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

I know Rivers still has quite the long career ahead of him but I think this Chargers team missed their window to capitalize and win it all.  Still a playoff team but not sure they can get past some of the AFC's elite.

Is it a shock?

They go from one good regular season coach that doesn't win in the playoffs to another coach that is the same. 

No, I'm not really that shocked.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Is it a shock?

I think their biggest problem was that they didn't cut the cord with LT two years ago.

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
So far I'm about 50/50 on playoff picks.  San Fran and San Diego are a bit alarming at this point, but I'm sticking with them.  I might be ready to bail on Dallas for Atlanta, that one doesn't look very good at this point.

1. Indianapolis
2. San Diego
3. Baltimore
4. Miami
5. New England
6. Houston

1. New Orleans
2. Green Bay
3. San Francisco
4. New York Giants
5. Minnesota
6. Dallas

Green Bay over Indianapolis in the Super Bowl
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Glad I don't have to type out the answer to which 10 were ahead of Romo and thanks for everyone that answered for me. I am also glad to see that many see things the same way I do about the guy. He is great in the regular season and a major choke artist when the games get important or tight in the end.

Romo is one of the greatest chokers of all time, unfortunately, because he's got a wealth of talent. This will be unpopular, too, but despite Peyton Manning's god-like reputation, he has just not seemed to put it together consistently in the "Big" games, either ... sadly, another epic choker, more times than not. ;)
You know Bahku I'm not sure how much you were just kidding around with the Manning comparison but there is a very large portion of what you are saying that is true there. Well maybe choking with Manning isn't the correct word, underperforming in the biggest games is another way of describing it.

TP good point.

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Glad I don't have to type out the answer to which 10 were ahead of Romo and thanks for everyone that answered for me. I am also glad to see that many see things the same way I do about the guy. He is great in the regular season and a major choke artist when the games get important or tight in the end.

Romo is one of the greatest chokers of all time, unfortunately, because he's got a wealth of talent. This will be unpopular, too, but despite Peyton Manning's god-like reputation, he has just not seemed to put it together consistently in the "Big" games, either ... sadly, another epic choker, more times than not. ;)
You know Bahku I'm not sure how much you were just kidding around with the Manning comparison but there is a very large portion of what you are saying that is true there. Well maybe choking with Manning isn't the correct word, underperforming in the biggest games is another way of describing it.

TP good point.

He's got his ring, though.  He has that monkey off his back and a huge one it was.  In football more than any other sport I think, players (especially) QBs seemed to be judged on rings.  When all is said & done, his stats are going to be on top or near the top in almost every major passing category.   The Brady/Manning debate will rage on long past both their retirements but unless Manning takes the path of Favre, that ring is going to compensate for a lot.

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell

TP good point.

He's got his ring, though.  He has that monkey off his back and a huge one it was.  In football more than any other sport I think, players (especially) QBs seemed to be judged on rings.  When all is said & done, his stats are going to be on top or near the top in almost every major passing category.   The Brady/Manning debate will rage on long past both their retirements but unless Manning takes the path of Favre, that ring is going to compensate for a lot.
Peyton's had a few playoff stinkers but overall he's performed very well in most of his playoff games.

Both QBs have far too much left to go to make judgements.

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

TP good point.

Peyton's had a few playoff stinkers but overall he's performed very well in most of his playoff games.

Both QBs have far too much left to go to make judgements.

Yeah, I guess a more accurate knock on Manning would be how he performs in the later rounds of the playoffs.  He's had some extremely impressive early round playoff games.  Its not like he falls flat in the playoffs all together.

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Peyton Manning Passer Rating in playoffs

2009 - 87.9, 123.6, 88.5
2008 - 90.4
2007 - 97.7
2006 - 71.9, 39.6, 79.1, 81.8 (aside from the single game losses in 99 and 02, this was by far his worst post season and this is the year the colts won)
2005 - 90.9
2004 - 145.7, 69.3
2003 - 158.3, 138.7, 35.5
2002 - 31.2
2001 - n/a
2000 - 82.0
1999 - 62.3

Overall Post Season passer rating is 87.6, which isn't all that much lower then his regular season rating of 95.3.

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell

2009 - 87.9, 123.6, 88.5
2008 - 90.4
2007 - 97.7
2006 - 71.9, 39.6, 79.1, 81.8 (aside from the single game losses in 99 and 02, this was by far his worst post season and this is the year the colts won)
2005 - 90.9
2004 - 145.7, 69.3
2002 - 31.2
2001 - n/a
2000 - 82.0
1999 - 62.3

Overall Post Season passer rating is 87.6, which isn't all that much lower then his regular season rating of 95.3.
I'm not a big passer rating fan, there are better QB measures.

I'd imagine that the increased quality of competition would account for that small decline. Which makes sense, he's still the same QB whether or not its post season or regular season. Similar to NBA players production taking a hit on a per minute basis in the playoffs.

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

2009 - 87.9, 123.6, 88.5
2008 - 90.4
2007 - 97.7
2005 - 90.9
2004 - 145.7, 69.3
2002 - 31.2
2001 - n/a
2000 - 82.0
1999 - 62.3

I'd imagine that the increased quality of competition would account for that small decline. Which makes sense, he's still the same QB whether or not its post season or regular season. Similar to NBA players production taking a hit on a per minute basis in the playoffs.
There are better measures, but it is still a pretty good indicator of the overall quality of a game.  I mean no matter what measure you use, if the guy has a QB rating of 31.2 that isn't going to be a good game under any measure and conversely I'd be hard pressed to find any measure that would call a game in which a QB had a rating of 158.3 a bad game.

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell

2009 - 87.9, 123.6, 88.5
2008 - 90.4
2007 - 97.7
2005 - 90.9
2004 - 145.7, 69.3
2002 - 31.2
2001 - n/a
2000 - 82.0
1999 - 62.3

There are better measures, but it is still a pretty good indicator of the overall quality of a game.  I mean no matter what measure you use, if the guy has a QB rating of 31.2 that isn't going to be a good game under any measure and conversely I'd be hard pressed to find any measure that would call a game in which a QB had a rating of 158.3 a bad game.
QB rating doesn't deal with fumbles does it? I also don't think it punishes QBs for picks enough. Costing your team possessions is a huge factor in QB play.

You're right at the extremes, where I think passer rating runs into trouble is from 70~75 to 90

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
C'mon Redskins, do your thing again today!

After last weeks win against Romo, the Cowboy bumper stickers and fans have almost disappeared around here!

Good riddance.

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty geared up for Pats-Jets today.  Been looking forward to this one for quite some time.