Author Topic: New York Knicks Sneaky Good Offseason  (Read 4859 times)

New York Knicks Sneaky Good Offseason
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
While the Knicks didn't complete what they wanted to (sign LeBrown or Wade) they still had a sneaky good off season.  They got a star in Stoudemire.  They traded David Lee for some quality defenders and role players.

But the piece which I think is really overlooked is Raymond Felton.  Felton averages 13 points and 6 assists per game for a defensively minded Bobcat team coached by Larry Brown who usually doesn't like young guys.  He shoots 41% and 33% for 3s for his career.  These numbers are very similar to Steve Nash pre D'Antoni.

I think that while the Knicks didn't complete their goal Donnie Walsh did a very good job in making them a 6, 7 or 8 seed in the East.

Re: New York Knicks Sneaky Good Offseason
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »

Offline gileyal

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I agree. For a change they played their cards right this off season. This is especially true when you consider the reality that they never had a real shot at Lebron.

No way are they title contenders but I think they're moving towards respectability.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I was pretty floored by the Anthony Randolph move.  Getting him for David Lee was brilliant; Lee isn't worth that money considering he doesn't play any defense and wouldn't work with Amar'e.  I think Randolph is for real. They will be an interesting team to watch, I'm definitely getting League Pass next year.  Let's hope Bill Walker gets some minutes, too.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think Amare is completely overrated. Overinflated ego, no desire to defend or rebound.

Is Randolph and expiring contracts for Lee the best they could have done?

Felton's OK, but he needs to develop some consistency in his game. Streaky shooter, very up and down.

.500 ball seems to be the ceiling for this team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Supposedly Minny wanted Lee and would have given them Al Jeff.  That is all you need to know.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
While the Knicks didn't complete what they wanted to (sign LeBrown or Wade) they still had a sneaky good off season.  They got a star in Stoudemire.  They traded David Lee for some quality defenders and role players.

But the piece which I think is really overlooked is Raymond Felton.  Felton averages 13 points and 6 assists per game for a defensively minded Bobcat team coached by Larry Brown who usually doesn't like young guys.  He shoots 41% and 33% for 3s for his career.  These numbers are very similar to Steve Nash pre D'Antoni.

I think that while the Knicks didn't complete their goal Donnie Walsh did a very good job in making them a 6, 7 or 8 seed in the East.

I've been thinking the same thing for a few days.

Also, watchout for this Timofey Mozgov guy (i had to look it up, I'm not that good) who is allegedly Chad Ford's #1 Euro prospect for 2 or 3 years running. 7footer with instant starter ability.

Great offseason for the Knicks so far.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Supposedly Minny wanted Lee and would have given them Al Jeff.  That is all you need to know.

If I've already got Amare Stoudemire, I'd take Randolph, Azabuke and Turiaf over Al Jefferson a hundred times out of a hundred.

The Knicks need help in a lot of different spots, they're not a great team but if I'd definetly consider this season a success for them. 

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I was pretty floored by the Anthony Randolph move.  Getting him for David Lee was brilliant; Lee isn't worth that money considering he doesn't play any defense and wouldn't work with Amar'e.  I think Randolph is for real. They will be an interesting team to watch, I'm definitely getting League Pass next year.  Let's hope Bill Walker gets some minutes, too.
Randolf doesn't play defense either, and he will basically be lucky to develop into the player David Lee already is. The Knicks did the best under the circumstances, but they fell 1 marquee free agent short of being relevant in the East -- so I guess they improved from mediocre to average.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think they have had a good offseason.  They have added pieces.  They still have future cap flexibility.

The only downside (which is a major downside) is the 1st round pick issue for the next few years. 

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I think they have had a good offseason.  They have added pieces.  They still have future cap flexibility.

The only downside (which is a major downside) is the 1st round pick issue for the next few years. 

They have preserved cap space for next year, true. After this season, it's Amare, Felton (expiring), Turiaf (player option), and team options on Gallo, Douglas, Walker, and Randolph. So they could have enough cap space to land another max-contract FA, and another second-tier player.

If we use Amare's last team as a benchmark for success, however, the Knicks are a far cry from the Suns of D'Antoni's era. Felton is no Nash, and he's currently the Knicks second or third best player (Gallo?).

Knicks gave away last year's lottery pick, and picks in 2011 and 2012 to build around Stoudamire, Gallo, and next year's FA crop. Even if they land Melo, how far can that team really go?

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Randolf doesn't play defense either, and he will basically be lucky to develop into the player David Lee already is. The Knicks did the best under the circumstances, but they fell 1 marquee free agent short of being relevant in the East -- so I guess they improved from mediocre to average.

Randolph isn't going to get paid $80 million, though.  They weren't .500 with David Lee, why would they suddenly improve if they resigned him for too much money?  Basically, I would rather roll the dice on Anthony than pay for Lee.  Plus, Anthony is more fun to watch and is better for D'Antoni's system.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Any offseason the Knicks have that has stories floating around stating they are looking at possibly bringing back Isaiah Thomas is not a good one...

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Any offseason the Knicks have that has stories floating around stating they are looking at possibly bringing back Isaiah Thomas is not a good one...

EJPLAYA just schooled all of us. Im sittin here getting excited about Kelenna Azuibuike, and Timofey Mozgov....

Timofey Mozgov! This ain't any time for people to be getting excited about Timofey Mozgov, Isiah Thomas is afoot!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think Amare is completely overrated. Overinflated ego, no desire to defend or rebound.

Felton's OK, but he needs to develop some consistency in his game. Streaky shooter, very up and down.

Azabuke ain't an expiring contract -- dude can play. Turiaf fits nicely into D'Antoni's system as a C.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 03:28:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Azabuke ain't an expiring contract -- dude can play. Turiaf fits nicely into D'Antoni's system as a C.

Yes, but Buike is a one-and-done for the Knicks.