Author Topic: So... are fans expected to take the regular season off next season or...?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Green Hell

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Familiar with the old adage "Fool me once, shame on you"? Well, shame on The Celtics for putting us through a painful regular season, going 50-32 while leading the fans to believe these guys had lost it. The run they made in the postseason proved that these guys are still championship contenders despite misleading us into believing they had given up on competing for #18. It was a shameful ploy but one that would have ultimately been forgiven had they come away with it.

But they didn't and the fact that they didn't really devalues the plan they tried t execute in the first place. Now, a year older, more injury prone and with stronger contenders in the East, I just see it being a very hard sell for the Cs to rally the fanbase behind them for yet another "one last run" if they fail to show up again in the regular season. I mean, really, when this team struggles to win 45 games this season and is locked in a battle for the 6th or 7th seed, am I, as a fan, supposed to sit there and smile as they put me through the agony that was the 09-10 regular season all over again? Because without the ability to make any substantial upgrades this off season besides replacing the old role players with new role players, does anyone here honestly expect this team to win 60+ games with essentially the same core of guys? Not unless our bench winds up being the Phoenix bench Part 2 I don't think.

Now, listen, I'm not saying they don't have a chance at making another miracle run through the playoffs, they absolutely can! They proved it once and I'll take their word at face value that they can do it again. But they're going to be hard pressed to get away with what they tried to pull last year, especially considering that ultimately, regardless of whatever excuse you can come up with, it just did not payoff.

It's kind of a lose-lose really, a double-edged sword. If they put everything they have into the regular season, they'll be too beat up to compete in the postseason. And if they take regular season games off again, they risk hurting the marketability of the franchise to season ticket holders and the fanbase (after all, thats what it's all about). All of this only to risk coming up with the same results as in 09-10.

Ultimately, the former is the best way for them to go if they have any hope at contending again for #18 while being in the best possible shape and form to do so. Face it, this isn't the 2008 team, the regular season is too grueling for these guys these days and the only way they can make it through is by picking their spots and preserving their bodies for when it counts.

But that's not the team I want to watch play. I don't want to watch guys takes games off and lose to teams with playing .200 ball while they make the likes of 3rd string scrubs look like future HOFers -- and I take it most other Celtics fans don't want to see that product on the floor either. It's a steep price to pay for the franchise to do what they did last season once again  but I honestly don't see how else they can look to compete when it matters in the playoffs. And if they go that route, there's still no guarantee they come any closer than they did in Game 7. All we can do now is wait and see how they look coming out of the All-Star break, but one thing is for sure though, the shame is not going to be on me.
Never stop believing baby~

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I think having #19 pick in the draft was awesome. Wouldn't be shocked for a less-than-their-best regular season again.

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I hear what you are saying Green.  I think the injuries last season were real and that we healed up at the right time. 

This team saw how home court advantage made the difference.  Do you think they might have found a few more minutes of strength in front of the Boston crowd?   I do and I think they do.

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I don't think the team took the regular season off, just the fourth quarter of a lot of games.

Solution - leave after the third (or turn TV off after the 3rd quarter.)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think if we had pushed the starters harder in the regular season we win more games but don't make it as far in the playoffs.

I think we win around 60 games this year while further developing guys like Bradley and Davis so they can help even more in the playoffs.

Giving younger players minutes and resting older players throughout the season is the recipe the Spurs have used which has allowed them to be good for as long as they have.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Do we have a choice? Ultimately we really dont, not if you're like me and look at this website everyday for the latest news. Say what you want about Season Tickets but don't discount the fact that this team got 12 home playoff games last year. That brings in a ton of revenue. Now it doesn't compate to STM deals but I guarantee yoou this tem has already sold a lot of STMs.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
What will be nice is that we won't sweat it if/when they are blowing second half leads on pace to a 45-50 win season.  We'll still have hope come playoff time.  For me, that will be a breath of fresh air.  Hopefully Bradley and Harongody get some PT so we can enjoy their development during the regular season too.

Offline Green_315

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I had finally saved up enough money to fly out to Boston from Boise, Idaho to see my first ever Celtics home game....... we lost to the nets.  >:(