Author Topic: So how do we win Game 7 without Perk?  (Read 8319 times)

Re: So how do we win Game 7 without Perk?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I'm dead serious in expecting an epic Scalabrine game.

This.

Perk is good and all but he is NOT the be all and end all of this team. He's a big body who shoots free throws pretty well. Are you guys seriously placing a finals win on the shoulders of Kendrick Perkins?? Wow.

He's averaging 6 and 6. Its not that serious.

He may not be a 20 and 10 guy but he's our defensive anchor, along with KG, and is a key to our success. But that being said I think we can win without him, but it will tough. Bynum being limited might help, but we'll see...

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:10 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Wow....seems as if he only sprained 2 ligaments. Thought it was worse. Gotta question now whether a 60% Perk(at best) is worth it.

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Wow....seems as if he only sprained 2 ligaments. Thought it was worse. Gotta question now whether a 60% Perk(at best) is worth it.

Hmmm. That could be good news depending on how badly they are sprained.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:42 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
People who only look at Perk's box score averages don't understand the impact he has on the way the Celtics play that doesn't show up in the box score.

It's similar to the effect that Bynum has for the Lakers, only I would contend that Perkins is actually more integral to the Celtics' success.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
First off, the moment Perk hit the ground, I knew this was more than a knee tweak. And apparently Perk told Rick Bucher at halftime that he heard something pop. Obviously, we don't know exactly what it is yet, but I think the odds are 95%+ that Perk is out for game 7. Personally, I think he did something serious like a blown ACL. I surely hope I'm wrong.  

Second, the no-Perk-no-title math people are throwing around just doesn't add up for me. At all. We can survive a game without Perk. Tonight, for example, we held LA under 90 points - that's good defense. The problem tonight was our offense. We had lots of easy looks - we got opportunities. But we missed like 6 or 7 lay-ups. Wide open lay-ups. That's like 12-14 pts. right there. Considering that LA's lead hovered around 20 pts. most of the game, 14 pts. would have made a big difference.

Lastly, LA threw their best punch tonight. It knocked us down, fine. Everything went right for LA tonight - they've proven in the past that they don't have a one-two combo - just the first solo punch. You know we'll get right back up and fight back in game 7 and we'll have more punch than they do. There might even be a "win one for Perk" vibe that gives us extra fuel.

I'm not guaranteeing victory, but I like our chances on Thursday.  

EDIT: sounds like his knee isn't that bad?

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 12:17:02 AM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Anyone have a link?

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Could Perkins be a go, with a couple shots to the knee??

Hell Bynum is playing with a torn meniscus he's got to at least give us some minutes
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
First off, the moment Perk hit the ground, I knew this was more than a knee tweak. And apparently Perk told Rick Bucher at halftime that he heard something pop. Obviously, we don't know exactly what it is yet, but I think the odds are 95%+ that Perk is out for game 7. Personally, I think he did something serious like a blown ACL. I surely hope I'm wrong.  

Second, the no-Perk-no-title math people are throwing around just doesn't add up for me. At all. We can survive a game without Perk. Tonight, for example, we held LA under 90 points - that's good defense. The problem tonight was our offense. We had lots of easy looks - we got opportunities. But we missed like 6 or 7 lay-ups. Wide open lay-ups. That's like 12-14 pts. right there. Considering that LA's lead hovered around 20 pts. most of the game, 14 pts. would have made a big difference.

Lastly, LA threw their best punch tonight. It knocked us down, fine. Everything went right for LA tonight - they've proven in the past that they don't have a one-two combo - just the first solo punch. You know we'll get right back up and fight back in game 7 and we'll have more punch than they do. There might even be a "win one for Perk" vibe that gives us extra fuel.

I think because the game was so awful people overlook this fact. We did pretty good defensively. It was our lack of hustle and miserable offense that caused us this loss.

And yes the Lakers did give their best shot tonight. I don't know if the Lakers can repeat what they did tonight, but I highly doubt it. Game 7 will be a battle of EPIC proportions.There will be blood, sweat, and tears. But the best team will prevail. We'll see who that is at the end of the 1st quarter in Game 7.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:02 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
Anyone have a link?

RicBucher

Caught Perk walking out under own power but very stiffly. Source says he sprained 2 ligaments. On Thurs: "I'm going to try to give it a go."

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Not in love with Buch as a source, but it's clear he was at the game.

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:25 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

EDIT: sounds like his knee isn't that bad?

Getting killed on the boards tends to result in poor offense, since you don't get very many opportunities to score.

The Celtics didn't actually shoot a much lower percentage than the Lakers, they just got totally destroyed on the boards (and got no production whatsoever from the bench).

Perk's presence or absence has a huge effect on those two things.  If Perk isn't playing, the Celtics are worse on the boards and the bench is less effective because Sheed moves into the starting lineup.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 12:25:02 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We weren't winning Game 7 WITH Perk.  Do the math.

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I'd start Sheed...and the Team needs to set him aside prior to Thursday and let him know to keep his head in the game, even if a call doesn't go his way. We need him.

When Sheed is hitting, he is nearly unstoppable. He can (And Has) spread the floor like no other.

He is a Very Smart player - and has experience in these kind of games.

He plays Gasol as well as KG does - maybe better.

Bring in Glen off the bench for stretches to sub for Sheed or KG..and at this point, minutes shouldn't matter. Just one more game to go!

I certainly will miss Perk (If he doesn't play), as will the the Team, but I cannot count out Our Boston Celtics if he doesn't play.

Time To Man Up, Boston! Play with more effort on Thursday...we got this bad loss out of our system...LA has just as much pressure on them as we do on us.

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
Eh, defensive rebounding with Perk and Sheed is negligible.

Perk's on court DReb Rate for the playoffs: 68.2%
Sheed's on court DReb Rate for the playoffs: 67.4%

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Anyone have a link?

RicBucher

Caught Perk walking out under own power but very stiffly. Source says he sprained 2 ligaments. On Thurs: "I'm going to try to give it a go."

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Not in love with Buch as a source, but it's clear he was at the game.
TP. Thanks.

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 12:38:30 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
We weren't winning Game 7 WITH Perk.  Do the math.
I'm surprised by the pessimism here tonight. Maybe if I come back in the morning I'll find some fellow optimists.