Author Topic: Ray WILL retire with EVERY 3PT record ever.  (Read 8314 times)

Ray WILL retire with EVERY 3PT record ever.
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
This is more of NBA History BUT....

Most 3PT in a game: Donyell Marshall (12), Ray's best (10)
Career 3PT : Reggie Miller (2560), Ray Allen in 05-06(2444)
Most 3PT in a single season: Ray Allen (269)
Most 3PT Playoff game: Ray Allen (9)
Most 3PT in the Finals: Ray Allen (8)
Most Career Playoff 3PT: Reggie Miller (320); Ray Allen (249)

Re: Ray WILL retire with EVERY 3PT record ever.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't think he'll get the career playoff one or the record for most three pointers in a game.  I do think, though, that he'll commonly be referred to as the best three point shooter of all time.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I don't think he'll get the career playoff one or the record for most three pointers in a game.  I do think, though, that he'll commonly be referred to as the best three point shooter of all time.
Don't know about that. Hard to pick between Ray and Reggie.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

If Ray has the career record, and has gotten it done on the league's largest stage, I think it's clearly Ray.

Their career 3PT% is nearly identical at this point, and Reggie was a superb shooter.  However, Ray's playoff successes give him the tie-breaker.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:28:31 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

That has got to be the quirkiest nba record. D Marshall with 12 three pointers in a game. What team was he with when he did that?

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:29:04 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

Ray's gotten like 130 over the past three playoffs. I think he can get another 71 before he retires.

As for the single game... who nows? Maybe if we actually try to KILL a bad team for once... ::)

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:30:06 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

That has got to be the quirkiest nba record. D Marshall with 12 three pointers in a game. What team was he with when he did that?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200503130TOR.html

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

Thanks Ill give you a TP for that, and that's also a really interesting box score. On paper that looks like a philadelphia team that should have been a lot better then .500. I guess he was young and unproven but they had salmons coming off the bench and hardly playing. I think that team must have been really poorly coached.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36:28 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

If Ray has the career record, and has gotten it done on the league's largest stage, I think it's clearly Ray.

Their career 3PT% is nearly identical at this point, and Reggie was a superb shooter.  However, Ray's playoff successes give him the tie-breaker.
Yeah, but playoff success is largely due to opportunity and I give Reggie the credit for sticking with small market team for his whole career (though even there he had many great moments like classic series vs NY and getting to the finals).

I love them both. RM was one of my favorite players during the 90's. Saying one is clearly better than the other when both are such amazing players will be always debatable. I'm torn between the two.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He's got a pretty strong shot at the career playoff record. He'll probably have a total of 60 made 3 pointers in the playoffs this year, and will start next year just over 60 short of the record. 25-30 playoff games after this season should do it.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Another thing to remember is that Reggie played until he was like, 100 yrs old.  If Ray Allen can extend his career the way that Reggie did, than he can break all those records with the exception of the most 3's in a game.  However, I don't know if that will be the case.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

Yeah, but playoff success is largely due to opportunity and I give Reggie the credit for sticking with small market team for his whole career (though even there he had many great moments like classic series vs NY and getting to the finals).

I love them both. RM was one of my favorite players during the 90's. Saying one is clearly better than the other when both are such amazing players will be always debatable. I'm torn between the two.
It's not Ray's fault he's been traded three (or four if you count the Marbury deal) times. Ray is just the most under appreciated guy in the NBA it seems. Even by GMs.

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46

If I recall, Donyell started out that game really hot, similar to Ray in Game 2 (something like 8 for 10) but then just kept chucking them up, finishing 12 for 19.  You'd never see Celtics Ray Allen chuck up 19 three pointers (but he might have in Seattle).  Because of this, I doubt he'll break the single game record unless he is on fire in a playoff game and every other starter has fouled out.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald

Thanks Ill give you a TP for that, and that's also a really interesting box score. On paper that looks like a philadelphia team that should have been a lot better then .500. I guess he was young and unproven but they had salmons coming off the bench and hardly playing. I think that team must have been really poorly coached.

HAH! i just realized how stacked that team is on paper. It’s got everybody, the only problem is that everyone, besides Iverson, was either too old or too young.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
How the hell did Marshall get up NINETEEN three-point attempts in  only twenty-eight minutes played?   :o

For context, last night's eleven three-point attempts was the most Ray Allen's had all season, and only the third time he's attempted more than ten in a single game all season. He had eighteen attempts in that triple-overtime loss against Chicago in last year's playoffs, when he played almost sixty minutes. 

Otherwise, he's pretty rarely had double-digit attempts since he came to Boston (as you would expect, given the caliber of his teammates).  So, Donyell's little footnote in NBA history should be secure.