Author Topic: Paul Pierce...the beginning of the end?  (Read 8104 times)

Paul Pierce...the beginning of the end?
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Is something wrong with him?  Is he injured?

Or are we witnessing Paul Pierce, circa Larry Bird 1992?

There is NOT one of the "big 3" that can carry this team any longer...that's a scary thought, not only for this season, but for what the future holds.

Sunday is important...either tonight is a mulligan or they are really finished.  I just don't know what to make of this Jekyll & Hyde team...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Paul Pierce...the beginning of the end?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yes, pretty much. The signs have been there all year. In fact, they started last year. This is why none of the big three should be resigned.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
There is absolutely no way that Pierce should be given a new contract.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Yes, pretty much. The signs have been there all year. In fact, they started last year. This is why none of the big three should be resigned.

of the big 3, i think ray has a few years left in him, in a reduced role.  there is always a need for a shooter.

There is absolutely no way that Pierce should be given a new contract.

call me a homer or sucker, but i want pierce here til the end.  regardless if its a good idea or not, the fan in me wants it to happen. 

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Is something wrong with him?  Is he injured?

Or are we witnessing Paul Pierce, circa Larry Bird 1992?

There is NOT one of the "big 3" that can carry this team any longer...that's a scary thought, not only for this season, but for what the future holds.

Sunday is important...either tonight is a mulligan or they are really finished.  I just don't know what to make of this Jekyll & Hyde team...

I would argue that if we ran as many plays for him as we do PP that Ray can carry this team on a lot of nights. KG is back to his offensive self, however you are right about PP. He is the LEAST likely to carry the team our of the big 3. I wouldn't call him done, but he is slipping fast. He has had a tough time against bigger stronger players like Lebron though. Think Artest a few years back even when he was in his prime.

Unfortunately I think it is pretty clear that we are finished. Lebron can beat us by himself. I predict a close loss by us this next one and a handily defeat in game 5. Not a complete blowout, but a double digit loss. Man I hope I am wrong.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Pierce stunk in last year's playoffs too. He's not hurt; he is what he is. Whenever Pierce plays like human excrement people need to stop saying, "Is he hurt?" and start realizing that he is way past his prime. That being said, he can still play big on any night. Pierce's problem in this series is that he is too tired from chasing Lebron around.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
if Pierce scored 40 tonight he would definitely deserve a new contract. He didn't though so lets pray he opts out!!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Probably not. During the season when he was healthy he played at a really high level so I don't think he could decline this quickly. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure he usually doesn't play well against Cleveland. He didn't slump as badly as Ray the last series but he did struggle outside of the last game. I think his problem now is much like we had with Perk in the Miami season is we're forcing the issue on offense. A good part of his game involves getting to the line + his defender who's bigger and stronger averages 1 foul a game = bad match-up. We need to factor that into the game plan.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The Captain Isn't Done. Not by a long shot.

The Celtics Team as a whole have got to find a way for him to be productive. I still believe in the man. It is so easy to let this series be a "Lebron VS Pierce", but I think it is much more than that.

This thing starts with Collective Defensive Effort. It wasn't there tonight.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
He just missed shots and it's hard to guard Lebron even when Lebron isn't hurt haha.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:19:04 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Here's my concern: this is not a one game reaction as some might think.  I'm not that near-sighted...

But look at Paul's numbers in this series:

Game 1: 13 points, 2 rebs, 3 assts - 5 of 17 shooting - only 2 FT attempts

Game 2: 14 points, 4 rebs, 4 assts - 4 of 10 shooting - only 4 FT attmpts

Game 3: 11 points, 4 rebs, 3 assts - 4 of 15 shooting - only 5 FT attmpts

So you look at the collective body of work: 10 TOTAL rebs, 10 TOTAL assists, and 13 of 45 shooting (29% FG pct if I've done my math right).  Any way you slice it, this is not good...something ain't right with him.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 12:19:51 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Well, PP is not a superstar anymore, you can't expect him to outplay LBJ (though you would hope he'd give at least 65-75% of what LBJ is doing).

LBJ is the exact worst kind of matchup for Pierce - athletic on offense (so Pierce can't handle him), strong and quick-footed on defense (so Pierce can't use his usual strength advantage and drawing-fouls advantage he has over average SFs).

We should demote Pierce back down to 4th option on offense this series, behind Rondo, Ray and KG in that order. If we do get through to Orlando (I still believe  :)) then Pierce will do better.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 12:23:27 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Well, PP is not a superstar anymore, you can't expect him to outplay LBJ (though you would hope he'd give at least 65-75% of what LBJ is doing).

LBJ is the exact worst kind of matchup for Pierce - athletic on offense (so Pierce can't handle him), strong and quick-footed on defense (so Pierce can't use his usual strength advantage and drawing-fouls advantage he has over average SFs).

We should demote Pierce back down to 4th option on offense this series, behind Rondo, Ray and KG in that order. If we do get through to Orlando (I still believe  :)) then Pierce will do better.

I think he has already been the 4th option. He has been spotting up the three point line more as a shooter as rondo drives in or KG gets the ball on the post. That is definitely why his production has been low . Oh and along with the fact that he is playing against the MVP/best player in the game this decade.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 02:31:27 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

I think he has already been the 4th option. He has been spotting up the three point line more as a shooter as rondo drives in or KG gets the ball on the post. That is definitely why his production has been low . Oh and along with the fact that he is playing against the MVP/best player in the game this decade.

He's taken around as many shots as KG and Ray though, right?

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 04:17:52 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
A bunch of Paul's FGA's and misses have been wide open.

A few have been Paul missing layups that he just missed the easy ones or got fouled but no whistles from the ref.

Paul not getting to the line throws the rest of his offensive game off.