Author Topic: Booing during the playoffs is NOT ok  (Read 11698 times)

Re: Booing during the playoffs is NOT ok
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I couldn't believe the booing.  Prior to the playoffs, sure.  I was at the Nets and Wizards games they mailed in and they deserved it then.  I just don't think it's appropriate in the playoffs.  I can understand silence when there's no effort on the court but not the booing. 

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I couldn't believe the booing.  Prior to the playoffs, sure.  I was at the Nets and Wizards games they mailed in and they deserved it then.  I just don't think it's appropriate in the playoffs.  I can understand silence when there's no effort on the court but not the booing. 

The crowd went to the game believing they were going to watch the team that played great basketball in Cleveland and were giving the #1 overall seed a run for their money.  What they ended up seeing was a sorry excuse for a basketball team getting plowed on their home court.

In other words, the fans probably felt duped, and I think booing is a pretty understandable reaction.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nah, there's nothing surprising about it. This group has been unable to consistently offer a professional effort all season. Tonight was just a low ebb in that regard, illustrated nicely by the look of thorough disgust on JoJo White's face.

The issue isn't going to go away until this season is over and the roster is retooled. I can't honestly say that I'm terribly fearful of a repeat, but neither am I terribly confident that there won't be one.

I find the fussing about booing sophomoric, frankly. This is professional basketball, not college, with professional prices and the implication by title that these are the best practitioners of their craft.

Tonight, the Celtics screwed the ticketholders, frankly, with a ridiculously half-baked effort on both ends of the floor. I'm not a booing advocate, per se, but I find no fault whatsoever with the folks paying the big prices expressing the same disgust that's being expressed here - by those of you who still aren't trying to pin every single thing this team does wrong on the fans or the officials - everyone but the 12 guys and four coaches who deserve the blame.

The hand-wringing about booing is just oddly misplaced hero workship, IMHO, and is the LAST thing that anyone in the Celtics organization can or should be concerned about. The concern is precisely what I've been outlining for a couple of days - how do the Celtics respond when Cleveland shakes off the lack of aggression and takes the basketball game to us on both ends of the floor.

The answer came tonight: We folded our tents and went quietly into the night. Simply unacceptable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:28:47 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 10:28:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Nah, there's nothing surprising about it. This group has been unable to consistently offer a professional effort all season. Tonight was just a low ebb in that regard, illustrated nicely by the look of thorough disgust on JoJo White's face.

The issue isn't going to go away until this season is over and the roster is retooled. I can't honestly say that I'm terribly fearful of a repeat, but neither am I terribly confident that there won't be one.

I find the fussing about booing sophomoric, frankly. This is professional basketball, not college, with professional prices and the implication by title that these are the best practitioners of their craft.

Tonight, the Celtics screwed the ticketholders, frankly, with a ridiculously half-baked effort on both ends of the floor. I'm not a booing advocate, per se, but I find no fault whatsoever with the folks paying the big prices expressing the same disgust that's being expressed here - by those of you who still aren't fussing about the fans or the officials.

The hand-wringing about booing is just oddly misplaced hero workship, IMHO, and is the LAST thing that anyone in the Celtics organization can or should be concerned about.

I never enjoy agreeing with such a stark, unforgiving assessment of the current state of the team, but I find it impossible not to do so. 

They are who they are, and unfortunately we're gonna have to wait for the team to change before the inconsistent effort and focus will change. 

TP.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »

Offline Green Hell

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
If giving up the WORST home loss in Celtics' Playoff  HISTORY  isn't deserving of booing, then nothing is.
Never stop believing baby~

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
personally I didn't boo, but I understand those that did

I can say there wasn't much to cheer about
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 10:56:14 PM »

Offline Greeny

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • LETS DO IT AGAIN!
Booing the Celtics? I boo'd Doc at home for the crappy rotation. I saw that in the 2nd qtr Doc had no one to compete, dribble, drive, move, rebound...I could go down the whole list.
I don't think King James sat a minute.

Booing the ref's? YES This was what the crowd was doing until the 3rd quarter. BS calls again, but the Celts missed alot of shots, and some they were fouled. non-calls

The tempo was set by the refs in the first 5 minutes of the game. Call any contact on the C's and let the Cav's hammer away.

When Ray Allen gets upset, something is wrong.

Embarrassed about this loss. Worst in C's playoff history, so I don't blame the people that paid $200 or more for booing,

BUT I would never boo the GREEN! NEVER!

If any of you keyboard warriors have ever played, then you would know that the refs can deflate any entusiasims or motivations a team or player may have and isn't that what the game is all about?  

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Uh, I never played the game that weak-minded, and I refused to permit my kids at the high school and college level to play that kind of weak-minded game.

You adjust to the type of game that's being officiated, you continue hustling and you leave the questionable calls to the head coach. Or I get rid of you.l

The rest is best left to the face-painters and the hand-wringers in the stands, who have no impact on the game.

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i have never and will never boo the celtics.  its something i refuse to do.  i get frustrated, disappointed, and even p---ed, but i refuse to boo them.  i tend to get quiet instead

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Booing the Celtics? I boo'd Doc at home for the crappy rotation. I saw that in the 2nd qtr Doc had no one to compete, dribble, drive, move, rebound...I could go down the whole list.
I don't think King James sat a minute.

Booing the ref's? YES This was what the crowd was doing until the 3rd quarter. BS calls again, but the Celts missed alot of shots, and some they were fouled. non-calls

The tempo was set by the refs in the first 5 minutes of the game. Call any contact on the C's and let the Cav's hammer away.

When Ray Allen gets upset, something is wrong.

Embarrassed about this loss. Worst in C's playoff history, so I don't blame the people that paid $200 or more for booing,

BUT I would never boo the GREEN! NEVER!

If any of you keyboard warriors have ever played, then you would know that the refs can deflate any entusiasims or motivations a team or player may have and isn't that what the game is all about?  

TP.

I missed the game...but I'm glad I did...bad loss. How were the refs?
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
The officials were, as they usually are, irrelevant.

The Celtics were not a competent opponent tonight - for Cleveland or anyone - and they embarrassed the great tradition of this franchise with a totally insufficient effort on both ends of the floor.

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I have no problem with the booing, though I may not have done it. It is interesting that we would be upset that the fans are not showing enough loyalty. I would suggest that the players don't show any more loyalty when the lay down.

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 11:17:39 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
the fans have been pathetic when we are winning by a lot losing by a lot during close games everything. No surprises with the booing. The cheers have never been as loud as the boos. People that boo, don't cheer, don't stand up at games, are really disappointing fans

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Giving no effort in a playoff game that could have given you serious control of the series is what is not okay. They deserved boos. We could have rounded up a group of people in the stands that would have played harder defense than the Celtics did tonight. Embarrassing and they deserved every one of the boos.

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
It's been proven that booing makes players play better and makes fans feel better about themselves. It's really a win win for everyone