Author Topic: Are the celtics contenders yet?  (Read 5529 times)

Are the celtics contenders yet?
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 630
At the end of the regular season, the majority of the blog seemed to feel that this team was no longer in contention for the championship.

Have feelings changed at all? Have the Boston sports fan cliff jumpers backed away from the edge? Are the realists feeling any more optimistic about our overall chances?

I for one will always feel that, until we get knocked out, we are in contention. This team has too much pride and veteran prescence to go down without a fight. It will still be an uphill battle, and smart money is still on the rest of the field, but I feel that our chances and out look have improved.

Where are you at?

Re: Are the celtics contenders yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think they were always contenders, they just needed to have more things fall the right way than other teams to win the championship.  I still feel that way.  Their chances are certainly better than they were before the playoffs, because they now have stolen home court from one of the teams ahead of them, but they still are not a favorite IMO. 

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 630
I think they were always contenders, they just needed to have more things fall the right way than other teams to win the championship.  I still feel that way.  Their chances are certainly better than they were before the playoffs, because they now have stolen home court from one of the teams ahead of them, but they still are not a favorite IMO. 

Totally agreed. Not favorites, and I'd be surprised if they are considered so at any time this postseason, but definately should be considered in contention.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Have feelings changed at all? Have the Boston sports fan cliff jumpers backed away from the edge? Are the realists feeling any more optimistic about our overall chances?

The realists were the ones that thought the Celts had as good a chance as anyone else at winning the title, not the people you speak of.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Agreed.

And I am feeling more confident about the C's chances. However I still think the current series is going 7 games and the teams are so evenly matched that anything can happen.

One game at a time baby.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Contenders, yes.  I think they always have been. 

Favorites, no.  Not until we are up 3-1.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I don't think they are favorites, even if they win this series.  I still think the Lakers, and perhaps even the Magic would have better chances of winning the championship, than the C's, even if they beat the Cavs. 

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't think they are favorites, even if they win this series.  I still think the Lakers, and perhaps even the Magic would have better chances of winning the championship, than the C's, even if they beat the Cavs. 
We'll be underdogs against the Magic and Lakers.

I think we'd be seen as even money or better against the Spurs/Jazz/Suns.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is why the whole "realist" label was pretty dumb.  We had pessimists and optimists arguing all season.  The pessimists were right that we were underperforming in the regular season, the optimists were right that were better than our record and would hit a new gear when the playoffs started.

We may or may not win this series, or the title, but we've pretty clearly shown we're still a contender right now.  Of course it's hard to get a gauge of how the more pessimistic posters feel about this, because most of them have mysteriously disappeared since we started winning.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

Agreed.

And I am feeling more confident about the C's chances. However I still think the current series is going 7 games and the teams are so evenly matched that anything can happen.

One game at a time baby.
if it goes 7, the Celtics will lose.  The Celtics have to win in 6 or less.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Agreed.

One game at a time baby.
if it goes 7, the Celtics will lose.  The Celtics have to win in 6 or less.

So if the series is tied 3-3, after 6, the Celtics should just forfeit? After all, if it goes 7, the Cavs are guaranteed to win it, right?

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Agreed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I think there are only 5 teams that could actually hold the Larry O'Brien trophy at the end of this season: Orlando, Boston, Cleveland, LA, and San Antonio. And most likely one of the ECF teams.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Sorry. I was unclear.  In terms of favorites, I was referring specifically to this series.

It will be the same case in the ECF and The Finals for that matter.  We will never be a favorite until we have somebody on the ropes at 3-1 or 3-2 going home. 

I was meaning to imply that we are contenders until we are out because of our experience, but we'll never be favorites until one the of the above scenerios plays out.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have felt for most the team that the Celtics were showing us glimpses (teases) of what they were capable of doing. 

The worry was that they were not playing for the full 48 minutes (something that has happened in both game this series, but not to the level it did in the regular season)

They were always contenders.  They just had more questions marks then we like.