Author Topic: Rondo: Wow!  (Read 1876 times)

Rondo: Wow!
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:24:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Since I've been an outspoken critic of Rondo throughout his Celtics career, I want to make a point tonight:

You just saw the best point guard in the game in the first half of the game this evening. THAT is what Rondo can be - every night - for the next 10 years. NO plays off on either end. Attacking with the basketball. Not a word out of Mo Williams on the defensive end.

That's as dominant a half by a point as you'll ever see. GREAT job, Rondo.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Re: Rondo: Wow!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nice Post, Coach. The key for Rondo is to keep his foot on the gas.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Too bad the whole team stepped away from the game plan, stopped letting Rondo run the show and tried to give Pierce the game stopping the ball movement. I dont understand this team, the players, and the coaching calls sometimes.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
The thing that really bothers me is how many times Rondo got slammed onto the floor or whacked across the face... and yet not once did I see a payback hard foul from one of our bigs. 

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Needless to say, Rondo's second half - and the second half of each and every person wearing a green uniform - failed miserably to rise to the level of basketball it will take to stay in this series.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
You can't win in the playoffs (let alone championships) if you come up small down the stretch.

The Cavs came up bigger in the 2nd half and in crunch time.

If we can't match it, we're going to lose.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The thing that really bothers me is how many times Rondo got slammed onto the floor or whacked across the face... and yet not once did I see a payback hard foul from one of our bigs. 

TP,  pengaloo....exactly what I said in the NO Courage thread!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
For a moment I was hoping that someone had come to their senses and was directing this at his complete lack of defense in that second half. You are 100% right that offensively Rondo is a great player. (even in spite of him having no jump shot) Defensively he may be one of the most overrated guys in the NBA right now. It was embarrassing watching him get lit up yet again by a point guard. Move your feet, fight through picks, stop trying to cheat every passing lane, and then you will truly be worthy of the praise. Until then you are good enough to keep us in the hunt, but not to get the stops when we need it. That's why he is still a second tier point guard.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Since I've been an outspoken critic of Rondo throughout his Celtics career, I want to make a point tonight:

You just saw the best point guard in the game in the first half of the game this evening. THAT is what Rondo can be - every night - for the next 10 years. NO plays off on either end. Attacking with the basketball. Not a word out of Mo Williams on the defensive end.

Rondo was amazing in the first half tonight.

Then, in the second half he was...decent.  The problem is, I feel like this is how it goes every time Rondo looks like he's about to have a huge game (especially against the Cavs).  He scores a ton and looks unstoppable, then the opposing defense game plans for him or he becomes timid or gets knocked around too much, and suddenly he's almost a non-factor as a scorer.  He sets himself up to score 30 or 40 points then finishes with 25.  It's really frustrating. 

Maybe his style of dominating play just isn't sustainable for an entire game (especially when almost none of his offense comes from jumpshots).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Rondo and KG were really the only ones who showed up tonight ... the rest were a disappointment, and despite that, we still could have won. The guy needed more help, and didn't get it when the Cavs went on their run.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76

Rondo was amazing in the first half tonight.

Then, in the second half he was...decent.  The problem is, I feel like this is how it goes every time Rondo looks like he's about to have a huge game (especially against the Cavs).  He scores a ton and looks unstoppable, then the opposing defense game plans for him or he becomes timid or gets knocked around too much, and suddenly he's almost a non-factor as a scorer.  He sets himself up to score 30 or 40 points then finishes with 25.  It's really frustrating. 

Maybe his style of dominating play just isn't sustainable for an entire game (especially when almost none of his offense comes from jumpshots).
I notice this too... And it happens time and time again where it looks like he's gonna have a huge second half and it doesn't happen. I think part of the problem is that the other team adjusts in the second half (as they should). The celtics in turn adjust as well by putting the ball in Pierce's hand more, but because the rest of the team never got it going offensively in the first half without Rondo's help, they don't know how to score without Rondo. The other thing is that our defense lets up and we don't get any transition opportunities - and that's where Rondo's at his best.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Rondo had a great first half but not a great second half.  He couldn't drive on Shaq in the second half and wasn't able to kick out and find the open guy when he drove. 

Part of that though is people not moving around.

And a couple of times like Reggie said he was in the air trying to make passes which is a big no no and you have to have your mind made up and can't be halfway like he was on a couple of those plays.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 12:34:07 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I think part of the problem is there is no second point guard on this team to give Rondo a real rest. And, he gets the crap beaten out of him every game.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I think part of the problem is there is no second point guard on this team to give Rondo a real rest. And, he gets the crap beaten out of him every game.

Yeah ... good point. I actually think Nate would've been effective tonight, just to come in and be super-physical with Williams, (or West), and not worry about him getting a lot of fouls.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *