Author Topic: Tsk Tsk: More (false, unwarranted) ESPN hype of Lebron  (Read 1936 times)

Tsk Tsk: More (false, unwarranted) ESPN hype of Lebron
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Read this first:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/15461/longest-jumper-in-nba-history

Okay, it was a long jumpshot. A very long jumpshot. But longest in history? I've been watching basketball for 7 years, but even I've seen better examples.

As you can see through the comments, and the edits Abbott makes on this article, there are plenty more examples of these shots, taken with less of a run-up, better form, from further away, and less of a push at in the shot-launch as well. And it's not like these are rare - they come from recent seasons, and include superstars like Vince Carter etc. Shoot, Marbury and VC have three or four examples of such shots. He didn't even try to look for one himself, leaving it to readers. He writes that sincerely, but it's really a challenge (who is better than Lebron, huh? - well, maybe Michael Jordan  ::), who also has one of his own shots up there).

The worst bit is a fact that you won't see in the article. I posted the most recent comment (ravmat123), but it won't be up there since I read the article pretty late. See, it could be an honest mistake. Abbott may never have seen these. Maybe he's never seen a "Top 10 Buzzer Beaters" video, or "Stephon Marbury Top 10 Plays" or "Vince Carter compilation" (all of which would contain examples of these) - he's an analyst, not a regular fan: he's too busy and important to watch YouTube clips, unlike us lowly people  ::). Anyway, my point is that this article is stupid because:

Somebody did it THIS SEASON: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOgBBulh5MU

C'mon Abbott. Really? He doesn't even watch Top 10 Plays of the Week? Admittedly, Thornton's was a foot closer than Lebron's, but it was contested harder - this is all beside the point anyway. The fact is, ESPN is just overdoing it. He's the best now, maybe the best ever. He's not God though.

Sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:37:56 AM by rav123 »

Re: Tsk Tsk: More (false, unwarranted) ESPN hype of Lebron
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:34:15 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It's a story, even if it's a lame one.

Having to provide 24 hour a day coverage and a bunch of new stories every day is difficult.  That's why you hear about every single car crash or house fire on the local news every night.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:35:51 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White

Having to provide 24 hour a day coverage and a bunch of new stories every day is difficult.  That's why you hear about every single car crash or house fire on the local news every night.

It's a blog. He could have just put up the video. But the "best-ever" stuff wasn't necessary.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

It's a blog. He could have just put up the video. But the "best-ever" stuff wasn't necessary.

Fair enough, but putting on tags like that is how these guys get people to read their articles.  If he just said "a cool half court shot that LeBron took the other night" he wouldn't get as many hits or generate as much conversation.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:54 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
During a news conference, Stern said he is amazed at how James can shoot halfcourt shots with a simple flick of his wrist.

"I don't know how he shoots the ball so far so easily," Stern said. "You get the sense if you wanted to play H-O-R-S-E with him and it was a halfcourt line, he'd shoot 50 percent."

Off NBA.com. I know Stern doesn't watch much basketball/isn't a basketball fan, but so many people have done this before. Again, the Lebron Hype Machine makes him sound like a god (or at least the only one who can shoot a jumper from half-court).

I have no personal bias against Lebron. I think he's the best player, and will be the best-ever (bar maybe Jordan, Wilt and Russell), and I love his attitude, off-court persona etc. Don't care about his ego, Dunkgate or Handshakegate. My anger is at those who are overhyping him.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The worse thing that Abbott did is pick the Cavs in four.

Oops.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Oops.

And the Lakers in 5 two years ago!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Oops.

And the Lakers in 5 two years ago!
And yet....ESPN still considers him an "expert". ::)