Author Topic: Rajon Rondo vs. Deron Williams  (Read 5581 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo vs. Deron Williams
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »

Kiorrik

Try to answer this honestly and with no bias please. Who is the better point guard in the NBA right now? Deron Williams or Rajon Rondo? Which PG would you rather have? And would you guys have won the championship in 2008 if you had Deron Willimams at the point instead of Rajon Rondo?

Thank you.
So, mister Laker fan, what is *your* opinion, and your opinion on our opinions? :)

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Their very different point guards. To run the Celtics I'd rather have Rondo, he's more of a point guard. Williams is a great fit for the Jazz, because he can create and score. I think Rondo's mid range game is underrated a little. He's has a pretty solid elbow jumper. I'd take Rondo just because he can run a team better and can score when he has too. Williams is a hell of a player though, I'd love him on this team. haha

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »

Offline LakerFanatic834

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Try to answer this honestly and with no bias please. Who is the better point guard in the NBA right now? Deron Williams or Rajon Rondo? Which PG would you rather have? And would you guys have won the championship in 2008 if you had Deron Willimams at the point instead of Rajon Rondo?

Thank you.
So, mister Laker fan, what is *your* opinion, and your opinion on our opinions? :)

Well I had an argument today with my friend who's a Celtics fan and although I think Rondo is a great top 5 PG today, I think Deron Williams is clearly the best PG in the league right now (until CP3 gets healthy..MAYBE). He has the size, the shot, the handles, the vision.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Definitely Deron Williams. If I did my top-10 guys in the league, he might slip in there... or just bubble under.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:46:10 PM by FallGuy »

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
this is something i really like about this board....even though rondo is a celtic you dont deny the obvious talent of a non-celtic.

yeah, williams is clearly the better pg, though rondo is exceptional. if rondo develops a good, consistent mid-range jump shot the gap closes, but williams is still ahead.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708
Deron Williams is the best point guard in the NBA.

Whoah. It's amazing how worse teammates at every position and a year of injury problems can cloud memories of CP3. Let's not confuse success in a team game with how good an individual is.

Chris Paul is/was amazing no doubt. I for one have been in the Williams camp since the first time I saw him play. The guy was created in an ideal point guard lab. He has the size, offense (driving, mid range, long range), defense, passing, can carry a team on offense, and can make an impact without dominating the ball.

Paul is smaller, more exciting, and more ball dominant - yet still clearly the second best PG in the NBA in my mind.

and yet somehow, when healthy, despite the size advantages, etc. that williams has, paul put up better numbers, was regarded as a better defender, and made the playoffs with a far worse roster than Williams has ever had.

Paul's rep as a good defender is so overblown it's not even funny.  He's like Iverson - he looks good when his gambles turn into steals, yet somehow people look the other way when they result in wide open looks for shooters.

And you can't fault Williams for having a superior roster than CP3.  He's making the playoffs every year... just like he's supposed to. 

Anyway, yes:  Deron Williams is a better point guard than Rajon Rondo. 

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Whoah. It's amazing how worse teammates at every position and a year of injury problems can cloud memories of CP3. Let's not confuse success in a team game with how good an individual is.

Chris Paul is/was amazing no doubt. I for one have been in the Williams camp since the first time I saw him play. The guy was created in an ideal point guard lab. He has the size, offense (driving, mid range, long range), defense, passing, can carry a team on offense, and can make an impact without dominating the ball.

Paul is smaller, more exciting, and more ball dominant - yet still clearly the second best PG in the NBA in my mind.

and yet somehow, when healthy, despite the size advantages, etc. that williams has, paul put up better numbers, was regarded as a better defender, and made the playoffs with a far worse roster than Williams has ever had.

Paul's rep as a good defender is so overblown it's not even funny.  He's like Iverson - he looks good when his gambles turn into steals, yet somehow people look the other way when they result in wide open looks for shooters.

And you can't fault Williams for having a superior roster than CP3.  He's making the playoffs every year... just like he's supposed to. 

Anyway, yes:  Deron Williams is a better point guard than Rajon Rondo. 

I'm not faulting Williams...but people fault Paul. It's general in sports right now...very short term memories. Suddenly williams passes paul because of one injury off year? When paul is literally better in every area of the game?

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 12:25:21 AM »

Offline Mizzy21390

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'm a HUGE Rondo fan, but will be unbiased and say that Dwill is a better pg. He has more talent all around, and also doesn't have a jump shot problem, so that gives him a plus. But I will say that I don't think DWill would have helped us win the champ in 08.

What Rondo gives to the team, especially in 08, is so special, and unique.. What he does with the Big 3, and sharing the ball is something I don't see DWill being able to do. With three other superstars on his team.

I dunno, my opinion..
Yeeeaaaa!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 01:43:54 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Agreed.  CP3's PER was close to 30 at the start of the season and he was playing phenomenal.  He still led PG's in PER despite still playing his way back into form after coming back from his injury at the end of the season.  

Give CP3 a legit 20-10 big man to play with, as well as some wing guys who can actually defend and make shots, and he'd look ridiculous (he already does).  He rebounds, steals, and runs like Rondo and shoots and passes better than any PG not named Steve Nash.    

A point guard is only as good as the big guys he plays with, and D-Will (and Nash, and Rose) have a big advantage over CP3 in that department.  David West doesn't impress me and Okafor isn't a great fit for that team.

I'm really hoping the sale of the Hornets goes through so they can start actually building towards success instead of laboring to shed as much salary as possible.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:50:27 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:48:20 AM »

Offline cgriffin61

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
not to get off the subject, but if milwaukee beats atlanta, how come clevland dosent play them since they were a lower seed than the celts? Thanks

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:27 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
not to get off the subject, but if milwaukee beats atlanta, how come clevland dosent play them since they were a lower seed than the celts? Thanks

The NBA playoffs work with a bracket system.  The winner of the 1/8 matchup plays the winner of the 4/5 matchup, while the winner of the 2/7 matchup plays the winner of the 3/6 matchup.

Plus, the Bucks definitely aren't going to beat the Hawks at home so it's a moot point.  That series could definitely go 7 games, though, meaning the Magic will have plenty of rest for the Hawks.  I'm expecting Orlando to beat Atlanta in 5 or 6 games.  Hopefully the Celtics can at least really wear down Cleveland (assuming they can't manage to win) so the Magic have more rest for the ECF.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:32:51 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Saying Rondo is better than D-Will is not bias, it's more like stupidity.

If you are doing comparisons like Rondo-Rose, Rondo-Arenas, Rondo-Harris, Rondo-Kidd, Rondo-Mo Williams; then bias may play a factor.

For what it's worth, I think Tier 1: (the elite)

1) CP3
2) D-Will
3) Steve Nash (will drop once he starts showing his age)

Then the next tier (young, upside)

1) Rajon Rondo (with a jumpshot = elite)
2) Derrick Rose (same as above brackets)
3) Westbrook (same as above brackets)   
4) Jennings
5) Curry
6) Aaron Brooks
7) Devin Harris (has he peaked?)

Tier 3 (Veterans)

1) Chauncey Billups
2) Gilbert Arenas
3) Mo Williams
4) Jameer Nelson
5) Tony Parker (the last three aren't that old though!)

PG is actually a pretty talented position right now (and so many of them are young, so they'll keep getting better).