Author Topic: Heat (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Game 5 4/27  (Read 100266 times)

Heat (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Game 5 4/27
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Miami Heat (0-0) at Boston Celtics (0-0)
Tuesday, April 27
7:00 PM ET
Round 1 Game 5  Home Game 3
NBA-TV,  CSN-NE, Sun Sports
Radio: WEEI, WINZ
TD Garden

ProbableStarting Matchups
Point Guard
 vs  
Rajon Rondo    13.7 PPG   9.8 APG   2.3 SPG
Carlos Arroyo  6.1 PPG  3.1 APG   0.5 SPG

Shooting Guard  
 vs  
Ray Allen   16.3 PPG   2.6 APG   .363 3P%
Dwyane Wade  26.6 PPG  6.5 APG   .300 3P%

Small Forward
 vs  
Paul Pierce  18.3 PPG   4.4 RPG   3.1 APG
Quintin Richardson  8.9 PPG   4.9 RPG   1.2 APG

Power Forward
 vs  
Kevin Garnett   14.3 PPG   7.3 RPG   0.8 BPG
Michael Beasley  14.8 PPG   6.4 RPG   0.6 BPG

Center
 vs  
Kendrick Perkins  10.1 PPG   7.6 RPG   1.7 BPG
Jermaine O'Neal   13.6 PPG   6.9 RPG   1.4 BPG          

Off the Bench
Reserves
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Rasheed Wallace
Brian Scalabrine
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
Marquis Daniels
Michael Finley
Oliver Lafayette
Tony Gaffney  

Injuries

Rajon Rondo (bruised fingers) will play

Off the Bench
Joel Anthony
James Jones
Dorell Wright
Mario Chalmers
Shavlik Randolph
Jamaal Magloire
Yakhouba Diawara
Daequan Cook
Kenny Hasbrouck
Udonis Haslem  

Injuries
None  

Key Stats from Game 4
Free Throws
Celtics 16-27,  Heat 15-25
A couple of things about free throws.  First, while the number of free throws shot were very close between the two teams, fouls played a big part in giving the Heat an advantage.  Both Ray and Pierce picked up 2 quick fouls in the first quarter.  Not long after returning to the game, both picked up another quick foul.  Both ended up with 5 fouls for the game while no Heat player was in foul trouble throughout the game.  Pierce and Allen both were key in the first 3 wins and with both having to play tentatively because of foul trouble, it limited them through much of the game in this one.   Second, the Celtics missed 5 free throws down the stretch.  Ray missed 3 in a row and KG missed 2.  The Celtics must make their free throws.  If they are going to get to the line, they have to make them count.

Rebounds
Celtics 31 (4 offensive),  Heat 43 (9 offensive)
Rebounding for the most part are the result of hustle energy and effort.  The Celtics out rebounded the Heat in games 2 and 3 and the result was 2 wins.  The Heat put more effort into grabbing rebounds, especially on the offensive end for second chance baskets and they pulled out the win in this game.  

Field Goal Percentage
Celtics 49%,  Heat 50%
The Celtics struggled from beyond the arc and hit only 8-21  while the Heat hit 10-18 from the outside.   The fact that the Heat shot 50% is evidence that the Celtics defense let down their guard, literally.   If they want to close this series out in 5 games, defense must be a priority.

Key Matchups
vs
Ray Allen/Tony Allen  vs Dwyane Wade
Ray shot the ball fairly well (5-10 from the field, 3-6 from three) but he was in foul trouble for much of the game and so wasn't as aggressive as he might have been otherwise.  Wade simply took over down the stretch.  He finished the game with 46 points.  The Celtics must slow Wade down in this game and get Ray some open looks.  

vs
Rajon Rondo vs Carlos Arroyo
Rondo continues to dominate the Heat point guards.  He finished this game with 23 points, 4 rebounds, 9 assists and 2 steals.  He bruised his fingers on a hard foul by Joel Anthony late in the game and hopefully that won't affect him in this game.  The Celtics need Rondo to continue to be aggressive.

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Michael Beasley
Beasley was very active in game 4 and was aggressive on both offense and defense.  He showed what he can be capable of if he sets his mind to it.  On the other side KG looked the best he has since his injury.  The Celtics need KG to continue to play well and be the leader for them and he will also need to keep Beasley from finding any kind of rhythm in this game.  

Players to Watch

Like Ray Allen, Pierce was hampered much of game 4 with foul trouble. Because of that, his defense on Richardson suffered as did his aggressiveness in driving to the basket.  The Celtics need Pierce to be aggressive on both ends of the court.

Richardson became the first and only Heat player other than Wade to score 20 points in a game in this series.   He was 4-6 from beyond the arc and the Celtics must cover him better on the perimeter especially if he starts to get hot again in this game.  

Game Notes
The Celtics had a very good chance to sweep this series and basically gave game 4 away (with the help of some strategically called fouls).   Allowing the Heat to shoot 50%,  missing layups and free throws down the stretch, and falling behind by 18 points early were inexcusable for a team that hopes to win a championship.  

With the Cavs losing a game in Chicago, the Celtics blew a great chance to rest up for the next series.   I don't see Cleveland losing a game on their home court to the Bulls so if the Celtics don't want the Cavs getting rested up for them, they must come out and take care of business in this game.

The Celtics have proved they are capable of putting this team away and they need to do it.  They can be their own worst enemy.  After all the talk from this team about how they were viewing the series like it was 3-3 before game 4, they didn't play with the energy or the effort that a game 4, let alone a game 7 would require.  Hopefully they take this one more seriously and get it done.

Keys to the Game

Defense The Celtics won their championship because of their tough team defense. They won games 1, 2 and 3 because of tough team defense, especially down the stretch.  In game 4 they allowed the Heat to shoot 50% from the field and score 101 points.  They also allowed Dwyane Wade to take over the game down the stretch.   Defense wins championships and that must be the Celtics main focus in this game.        

Rebound  Rebounding is very important in  the playoffs.  Allowing offensive rebounds gives them second chance points.  Allowing defensive rebounds allows them to get out on the break.   Rebounding is also a measure of a team's effort and energy levels.   In game 4, the Heat out-rebounded the Celtics by 12 and that shows that they wanted that game more.  They out hustled and out worked the Celtics.  The Celtics must win the rebounding battle if they want to close this series out now.  

Move the Ball
  When the Celtics move the ball, make the extra pass and find the open man, the Celtics offense is hard to stop.  They have to avoid the do it myself mentality that they have reverted to in many games this season and even for short periods in this series.  They have to make up their minds to win as a team. They need to have the ubuntu mentality in this game and throughout the playoffs if they want a chance to win another championship.  

Killer Instinct   The Celtics have to come out strong and keep the pressure on throughout the game.  They were sleep walking through the first quarter of game 4.  They also had a 7 point lead in the 4th quarter and then let up and allowed the Heat to come back to win the game.  They have to regain that killer instinct to come out strong to get a team down and then keep them down.  

Slow Down D Wade - Wade went off for 46 points in game 4.  The Celtics had been able to contain him somewhat in the first 3 games but the defense faltered in game 4.  If he scores over 40 points, the Heat has a good chance to win.  The Celtics have to do a better job of slowing him down, especially down the stretch.  He can't be allowed to take over the game again.  

X-Factors
Home Court   and the Refs
The Celtics will be back at home and in spite of their struggles at home this season, they have to be more focused at home in the playoffs and the home crowd needs to give them the extra energy to close this one out.

If the officiating crew is Bavetta, Salvatore, and Crawford,  we may as well forfeit this one and avoid any suspensions and injuries that may occur as a result of these three stooges.  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:06:53 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Heat (1-3) at Celtics (3-1) Game 5 4/27
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Another great game thread FL TP!  Isn't the game one NBA TV thought because that is what it says on espn.com  By the way I love those pics of the dogs lol.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:06:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Another great game thread FL TP!  Isn't the game one NBA TV thought because that is what it says on espn.com  By the way I love those pics of the dogs lol.

TP for the info on the channel that it is on.  I'll change it.  I thought they said TNT on the post game but probably misheard it.  ESPN.com is usually right.   

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Interesting how bowties look so much better untied than tied.

It is sad how many players in the league wear bowties that clash horrifically with their shirts and jackets. Wade does a better job.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
First you think, we're up 3-0, we can't lose this series. But with the loss in Game 4, it now suddenly looks very close. It just might take one bad play or one missed FT for the Heat to win in Boston, and then their home crowd would be rocking in Game 6. Game 7 is a game of superstars... Wade. So I'm a little worried right now.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
We should close this series out on Tuesday. Dwayne Wade is one of my favorite players, but he must go.

Man I Really, Really like our chances against CLE.

KG is the X-Factor, and he looks good so far.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I'll admit I'm a little concerned about this game. This team's track record in clinchers is a little spotty. I hope they have  a sense of urgency and come out with a strong 48 minute effort to put this away. TP FLCF. Gooo Celtics!

Condolences to those who don't have NBA TV. Maybe the Cavs will build a 30 point lead in the 1st quarter and TNT will switch to our game.

Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
First you think, we're up 3-0, we can't lose this series. But with the loss in Game 4, it now suddenly looks very close. It just might take one bad play or one missed FT for the Heat to win in Boston, and then their home crowd would be rocking in Game 6. Game 7 is a game of superstars... Wade. So I'm a little worried right now.

If our two gunslingers aren't in foul trouble (like they were this afternoon), they will be enough to counter Wade going off again (if he can).

If both our gunslingers are "on", there is no way Wade can out duel them both.

Bing on Game 5.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
TP to FL for coming right back with the Game 5 thread. I have to believe the Celtics will get their hands dirty and take care of business Tuesday night. Wade hit his shots and Pierce and Allen missed theirs in the 4th qtr which is the only reason we are even having this discussion.

And if Knick Bavetta, Joe Laker Crawford, or Benny Hill Salvatore are within 500 miles of Boston, I will throw up the Beast of Burden song from the Stones. Nah, lets do it now and scare em off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

All I want is you to call a fair game.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
As long as we give constant effort, move the ball, rebound and DENY Wade the ball when we can WE SHOULD end this series tomorrow. We let him get the ball and get to wherever he pleased last game.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm just watching the game for the first time, (it's just ending), and we really did not play badly at all. What really turned this game against us was putting Ray on Wade down the stretch, (instead of TA), Wade having a completely unconscious shooting spree, some obvious manipulation by the officiating staff, (taking two of our stars out of the game), a lessening of defensive pressure at times, and just plain ol' bad karma ... I mean, when was the last time Ray missed three free-throws in-a-row? The leprechaun missed the flight, that's for sure, but I saw a lot of great stuff from the C's as well. I think we'll take care of business on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:54:46 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:56:11 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Wade outscored our whole team in the 4th quarter ... and that huge dunk he put on KG, KG started to put a hand in his face, then totally backed off ... don't get that kind of half-hearted defense. I think the Boyz let up on defense overall, and that's what gave D-Wade the green light to go crazy on us.

We've already shown that we can limit him offensively when we want to, but tonight that intensity was lacking. If we take for granted that they'll be easy to beat on Tuesday cuz it's our house, we'll be in for a big surprise. I have faith, though, that the C's know the Heat aren't about to roll over, and will come out strong tomorrow and put this away.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:33 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I'd like to see the C's come out aggressive, but under control. We can't afford to play "catch up" once again. In the regular season, this team had the tendency to lose focus (even losing consecutive games to supposedly weak teams) after coming off a huge win. We can't let that happen now. The C's thought that Miami was ready to roll over and die after game three, which wasn't the case. Home court wasn't a factor during the regular season, but has been huge so far in the playoffs. It's time to defend the home turf. This has to be over in five games.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 02:13:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Paul Pierce: "The next time I'm in Miami, I'll be on vacation." - April 25, 2010 (TP, FlCeltsFan ... great set-up)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:23:30 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 03:05:47 AM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
C's have to play THEIR game...and not overreact to Wade's last game....STOP everyone else on the Heat--and we win by 20+