Author Topic: Celtics (50-30) at Bulls (39-41) 4/13  (Read 62649 times)

Celtics (50-30) at Bulls (39-41) 4/13
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (50-30) at Chicago Bulls (39-41)
Tuesday, April 13
8:00 PM ET
Game #81,  Away Game #41
TV:  TNT, CSN-NE,  The Score
Radio:  WEEI, WMVP
United Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo  vs  Derrick Rose

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen vs Kirk Hinrich   

Small Forward
vs 
Paul Pierce vs Luol Deng

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Taj Gibson

Center
vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Joakim Noah 

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.8
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 224

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Tony Allen
Brian Scalabrine
Michael Finley
Marquis Daniels
Glen Davis

Injuries
None   

Coach: Vinny Del Negro
Average Age: 27.1
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 225

Reserves
Brad Miller
Jannero Pargo
Flip Murray
James Johnson
Hakim Warick
Acie Law
Chris Richard
Joe Alexander
Devin Brown
Rob Kurz 

Injuries
None 

Key Matchups 
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Derrick Rose
It is personal between these two point guards ever since they faced each other in the opening round of the playoffs last season. Rose is more of a scorer for his team while Rondo is more of a distributor, although he will take it to the hoop whenever he can.   Both players have been playing great basketball and this should be a fun matchup to watch. 

vs
Paul Pierce vs Luol Deng
Luol Deng guards Paul Pierce as well as almost anyone in the league.  His length seems to bother Pierce and he has struggled against him in the past.   Unlike in their battles early in their careers, when Deng bothers him on defense, Pierce can just pass off to one of his waiting teammates. Deng is averaging 17.8 points per game and so Pierce is going to have to cover Deng defensively also. 

Honorable Mention

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Joakim Noah
These two got into it a couple of times in the playoffs.  Noah has to be one of the most irritating players in the league and he tends to get under his defenders' skin.  Perk's minutes have been going down lately, but he will be needed to battle a strong Noah inside. 

Team Connections
Celtics Assistant Coach Clifford Ray played for the Bulls from 1971-74
Paul Pierce and Kirk Hinrich are former Kansas Jayhawks
Taj Gibson and Brian Scalabrine are former USC Trojans
Brad Miller and Shelden Williams were teammates in Sacramento during the
2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons
Acie Law and Shelden Williams were teammates in Atlanta during the 2007-08 season

Game Notes
 The Celtics are currently leading the season series 2-1; Celtics won the season series 2-1 against Chicago in 2008-09
 Paul Pierce is leading the C’s with an average of 18.7 points per game; Rajon Rondo is averaging 11.0 points and 12.3 assists per game
 Luol Deng and Derrick Rose are both averaging 15.3 points per game against the C’s this season
 It marked the second straight season that the C’s had won the season series and the first time since the 85-86 and 86-87 seasons that they had
done so
 The Celtics are leading the all-time series 109-85 with the Celtics 61-32 at home

Both of these teams are involved in a fight for playoff seeding.  For the Bulls, they are fighting just to make the playoffs.  They are one game ahead of the Raptors for the 8th spot.   The Celtics are battling Atlanta for the 3rd seed in the East and are a game behind them. 

Ever since the 7 game playoff series last year, there is no love lost between these two teams and the game is likely to get chippy.   The Celtics are just 5-5 in their last 10 games while Chicago is 6-4 in their last ten.  The Celtics are 27-14 on the road while the Bulls are 23-17 at home.

I've listed the probable starting matchups.  I don't see the Bulls resting anyone since they have to win their games to stay in the playoffs.  Doc rested KG last game and he has hinted that he may rest Pierce and/or Ray Allen in the last two games also.   Since that is usually determined right before the game, I'll go with the normal starting lineup for the thread. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is the key to this game and to the playoffs.   The Celtics need to guard the perimeter as well as the interior because the Bulls love to shoot the 3 as well take it to the basket.  The Celtics must get back to focusing on their defense before the playoffs and since there is only one game after this one, this would be a great time to do it. 

Rebound - The Celtics need to put out the effort to go after rebounds on both ends.  When the Celtics get the offensive rebounds, it not only gives them second chance baskets, but it also prevents the Bulls from getting out on the break.  Noah is very good at tip ins and second chance baskets.  The Celtics have to work on the boards to prevent that.   

Keep Cool - The Bulls have a way of getting under players skins.  This could be a physical game and we have some very combustible players.   They need to keep their cool and not let the Bulls goad them into technical fouls.

Play Team Ball - When the Celtics move the ball and find the open man, they are very tough to beat.   It is when they start trying to do too much individually that they get into trouble.  They have to run the offense and play as a team.

Play 48 Minutes -  The Celtics let downs and blown leads have become well known this season.  They need to come out strong and play hard for 48 minutes.  No let ups.  If they give the Bulls hope that they can win it, they may end up in trouble. 

X-Factor
Players Sitting Out
It may come down to whether Doc plays all his players or sits them out for the game to rest them.  It may come down to whether the Celtics really want that 3rd seed or not as well. 

Re: Celtics (50-30) at Bulls (39-41) 4/13
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
The Celtics will have problems tonight. I don't like the way the Celtics have approached this season and they have been consistently outworked by lesser teams. There is no friggen way that this team should be 50 and 30 and a 4th seed in the EC. Thank you, Doc Rivers, for not conducting practices this year and not preparing the team for the grind. The Bulls need this game to make the playoffs and challenge Cleveland. My belief is that the Bulls will win this by 30 and it will be more fun to watch the baseball game. See you this weekend.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This should be a win tonight.  not an easy one since CHI is fighting for a playoff spot, but a win nonetheless

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Quite pessimistic. By the way, the game is tomorrow night and not tonight.  I don't know if this changes the grim outlooks above.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
The Celtics will have problems tonight. I don't like the way the Celtics have approached this season and they have been consistently outworked by lesser teams. There is no friggen way that this team should be 50 and 30 and a 4th seed in the EC. Thank you, Doc Rivers, for not conducting practices this year and not preparing the team for the grind. The Bulls need this game to make the playoffs and challenge Cleveland. My belief is that the Bulls will win this by 30 and it will be more fun to watch the baseball game. See you this weekend.

I thought we were supposed to wait until the game started to be so pessimistic.  ::)

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Hoooorah! Go Celtics!!

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Take the Bull(s) by the horns....LETS GO Cs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxIrERLYiI
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I'm so depressed now
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I really really really really hope Doc sits Rondo for these last 2 games,

We just seriously  cannot  take absolutely any chances!!!!!!!! :-\

I want to see the C's win and I want to see Rondo in street clothes!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:31:12 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I really really really really hope Doc sits Rondo for these last 2 games,

We just seriously  cannot  take absolutely any chances!!!!!!!! :-\

I want to see the C's win and I want to see Rondo in street clothes!

We win with Rondo out? Yeah right
If Pierce thinks these last few games are important and so do I, Doc will play everyone with the usual minutes, only in a blowout will he give some EXTRA rest to our guys
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 06:53:45 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
A meaningless game for us since the C's dont want to catch the 3rd seed anyway... but a big game for Chicago for their playoffs hopes.

I think their energy and desire will give them the edge in this one, especially if Doc rests Pierce and KG - or both -, which would be a smart choice.

TP FL and let's go C's anyway, although a loss would not change much to our team, and would only improve our position in the draft. :P

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
A meaningless game for us since the C's dont want to catch the 3rd seed anyway.

Why not? We do want to play Milwaukee and Orlando over Miami and Cleveland. So we have to win both games and hope Atlanta loses to Cleveland.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
A meaningless game for us since the C's dont want to catch the 3rd seed anyway.

Why not? We do want to play Milwaukee and Orlando over Miami and Cleveland. So we have to win both games and hope Atlanta loses to Cleveland.

I don't know why but according to their recent performances, the C's just don't care about the 3rd seed.